Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The rest of the season - can we make the play-offs?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
We are not good enough for the PL, yet. However, why would you turn it down? What is it, £40m going up, 3 years at £10m parachute payments?

We have played Sunderland (deserved to win, played very well), Liverpool (star struck 1st half, very good 2nd half) & Newcastle (Newcastle controlled the game but we played well, passed around, defended very well) and we have not looked out of place. These have all been at home, so lets see what the Liverpool FA Cup game gives us.

We have now also brought in 3 players that hopefully will be quality and in Reyes, we already know that he is. If these 3 play well, CMS and Vokes hit it off, well you never know. :drool::clap:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we are not prem quality yet but there is no doubt that the dough would be very handy and probably at least secure us as a top champ side , looking at teams like burnley , blackpool and even brum i have not a lot of doubt that any promotion would be short lived .

Oct 25, 2003
we definitely CAN, but there are a lot of teams in the same position

we've been there or there abouts for most of the season so there's no reason why not

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
We are not good enough for the PL, yet. However, why would you turn it down? What is it, £40m going up, 3 years at £10m parachute payments?

We have played Sunderland (deserved to win, played very well), Liverpool (star struck 1st half, very good 2nd half) & Newcastle (Newcastle controlled the game but we played well, passed around, defended very well) and we have not looked out of place. These have all been at home, so lets see what the Liverpool FA Cup game gives us.

We have now also brought in 3 players that hopefully will be quality and in Reyes, we already know that he is. If these 3 play well, CMS and Vokes hit it off, well you never know. :drool::clap:

Agree with this, I too don't think we are ready, but hey let's have fun giving it a go. If we are still in touch with the lead group come easter time it's game on. I think there is still to far to go in the season to make a real judgement, and I would like to get that 50point target out of the way first.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
There is a slight possibility of making the playoffs however promotion could well spoil all the good things that has happened over recent seasons,there are a number of players who are only just about Championship standard so it would take a huge amount to assemble even a half decent Premiership side and even a extended Stadium would not provide the required finance to survive.
When we gained promotion to the First Division supporters were over the moon however within a couple of months it was clear that each match was back to the wall and regularly we were outclassed and supporters were looking back to the previous season when we enjoyed both victories ans entertaining play.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
:

i'm sure i read somewhere that Blackpool got £51m last year + 4 years parachute payments of £14m = £107m over 5 years

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
What was lost in the fervour leading up to last nights game was that winning would have been a massive three points and left us right on the fringes of the play-offs. A point doesn't leave us out of it though, after bad results for Hull, Leeds and Derby, we're 5 points off 4th. I have to say I am looking very much on the positive side, with a lot of tough-away games out of the way, three new signings in positions we were lacking, people coming back from injury and a demonstrated strength in depth during our bare-bones period.

To get there I think we need one of the strikers, CMS or Vokes to hit a golden patch, and we have to start winning games against the top 10 teams - especially at home. We've only beaten Saints at home (10 men) and Cardiff away of the teams above us. I have no concerns over the defence or defensive midfield, Gus has worked incredibly hard on that part of the team since we shipped 9 goals against Leeds, Palace and Ipswich, and they've improved superbly. We know there is talent up front and wide, just get them gelling....

In all likelihood the remaining 18 league games are preparation for a push next season, plus a good day out at Anfield, but we're in with a shout.

Yes if the team are hungry enough, if not then no

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Get the training complex built and get the extra seats in. No point going up and not being able to sustain it. Too soon this year, but 2013/14 we'll be ready to go. I want to go up like Swansea and Norwich, not Burnley or Barnsley.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Get the training complex built and get the extra seats in. No point going up and not being able to sustain it. Too soon this year, but 2013/14 we'll be ready to go. I want to go up like Swansea and Norwich, not Burnley or Barnsley.

Yep! Leave it for this year. We will be ready and a much better team the next. What is a positive is that we are discussing something that is a real possibility and is going to happen at some point. For some generations this is going to be the most rewarding and exciting time ever for supporting The Albion.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Can't see us losing to anyone really, reckon we will finish 2nd & end up mid table premier league year after, just need a couple of £2m players in the summer, expand ground & reap £40m + £40m +???, easy as boiling an egg
Delia 1 Feb 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here