Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The REMF team - selection etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fail to see what's wrong with playing the players that have played in many of the previous games and why people are getting so worked up about it?...

You wouldn't see me walking up to Gus Poyet saying "Here's a monkey, I'm playing right wing this week".*

*Largely because I'm too fat and have no skill.

Is this a charity or a kick about for mates? One of the best players last year raised as much money as everyone else in the squad put together, he is asked to get raising money again this year and then he is not included in the squad. I don't want this argument to centre on that individual, but it highlights the wider issue of why should people support this event if it is going to be run as a clique? People I have spoken to who have seen Snoobs play say he is head and shoulders above anyone else in the squad in terms of ability yet there is no space for him either. Hardly a monkey, just not in the gang.

So again, is this a charity event or a mates jolly?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think this thread is becoming an embarrassment. We have not had this binfest at all for REMF 1-8 with the team selections so why this year ?.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Also the BHAFC REMF team have won the last 5 years so they must be getting something right re team selection. The REMF annual match is about many things and many fundraising things and IS NOT just about how much money the players raise. I think this thread is being hijacked by people with scores to settle to be honest as I cannot see how it has got so out of hand. Embarrassing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think this thread is becoming an embarrassment. We have not had this binfest at all for REMF 1-8 with the team selections so why this year ?.
Because no-one raised any issues last year, the charity raised 4 grand under Mendoza's brilliant stewardship, there wasn't the same demand for squad places, and we weren't one year away from the biggest event in REMF history since the first match was watched by 1,000 in Worthing. It really is obvious.

Gareth, is this is a jolly for people in one clique who come and go as they please, or is it about raising as much money as possible for charity? You tell us. I know you're uncomfortable with this conversation, but no-one is criticising you, so you're more than welcome to not comment.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
US. It must be about making as much money as posible? It not, why do you even bother?

I would not give two monkeys if we lost 10 in a row to Palace, as long as Robert is rememberd and loads of money is raised.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The REMF's headline event is the football game but it is not the only thing. There is the golf day, auctions, one off events like Wardy's pool night, marathon runs, fun runs, 5 a side summer tournament, raffles, private donations. The players sponsorship is great but it has never been the main and seemingly only focus of the REMF for the last 9 years. We made over £ 11000 last year and this is the most since 2001. Several years ago quite a few people on here suggested ceasing the matches and closing the charity. It has gone from strength to strength. Regardless of the pettiness of a lot of this thread, go back to the list of achievements, take a deep breath and a step back and think before posting again as this thread is tarnishing the charity now imo badly.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I assume this " my mate wants to play" will take on BIBLICAL proportions if the REMF game is scheduled to play at Falmer next year

For what it is worth there are two arguments here....one is raising as much money as possible for the REMF and secondly playing a relatively high profile local game against Palace and getting to "play" with ex professionals and entertaining a crowd.

Personally, I think I would go along with the original idea of having players who raise the most money being given the opportunity to play in the game in some way. I am not very comfortable with the idea that we start filling the sides with ex professionals ( Apart from Ricky Marlow of course ) and local players drafted in to " get us a win", as I think it should be a game between supporters and winning is secondary to the whole point of it.

That is my personal view and has been since the fourth game to be fair.

Overall, REMF has grown from an initial kick about between two sets of fans and a golf game in Sussex - just look at the work Tony Langridge has done with the Golf Day which is now a big event at Mid Sussex - not just a hack about between two sets of fans. the REMF games have similarly changed since the days of Stumpy Tim smacking two goals and me hobbling off after 5 minutes ( I still get jip from my thigh when its wet and cold!!!). The original REMF we set up 9 years ago bears no resemblance to what we have today and that is credit to Gareth.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lets just take a while to look back at what we have achieved together in the name of Robert Eaton.

Los Peladitos - 230 disadvantaged children in Queens, New York provided with a 3 year funding grant of 230 shirts, 150 balls and equipment.

Seagulls Specials - £ 7000 grant over the last 2 years for handicapped and special needs people in the local community which has been an integral part in them surviving and moving forward.

Coaching for Hope - £ 3000 grant over 3 years to provide kit and equipment for Aids orphans in Mali, Africa for poor and parentless kids to bring a smile to their faces.

8 local youth football clubs in the Brighton & Hove area provided with kit and equipment benefitting hundreds of local kids to play football and enhance their lives.

4 sets of kit for Wycombe Wanderers youth teams in recognintion of the support from our friends at CPFC.

Goals for to impoverished kids in Camodia to play football.

A set of kit for underpriviledged children in South Africa.

The Argus Sussex charity of the year in 2009 and also shortlisted in 2002, 2007 and 2008.

The support and help from Peter Ward, Ricky Marlowe, Dick Knight, BHAFC, Peter Taylor, Robyn Schonhoffer and the Talk Sport team.

Raising over £ 75000 since 2001.

2009 being the most successful year since 2001 with over £ 11000 raised.

The fund going from strength to strength after that terrible day for humanity in 2001 when we lost one of our own showing human endeavour, spirit and love will always overcome the forces of evil.

Every single person who has helped, donated or attended the REMF since 2001 from BHAFC, CPFC and everywhere can be proud of what they have achieved in the name of Robert Eaton. RIP. I know the Eatons find incredible solice from the REMF and we can all hope that Robert looks down from above and realises what has occured in his name. I am sure he would be proud.

Please be there on 30/4/10.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Personally, I think I would go along with the original idea of having players who raise the most money being given the opportunity to play in the game in some way.

But doesn't that leave to door open for a squad of 20 rich people who couldn't tell the difference between a banana and football to take a 25-0 drubbing?...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But doesn't that leave to door open for a squad of 20 rich people who couldn't tell the difference between a banana and football to take a 25-0 drubbing?...

BUT...what is the main point of the match Trig? Is it to raise money or to get the chance to play in a high profile game?

Personally I think the football is secondary.....are people going along to the game to watch albion fans against crystal palace fans? Or are they going for a Chariteeeee match?

....and I certainly didn't realise those who played in the first game were rich people who couldnt tell a banana from a football

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There's a happy medium somewhere surely? If you want to play in a game like this, then I think you should make a personal sacrifice. You know, like actually HELPING in some way, whether raising sponsorship, handing out flyers in the rain or paying a match fee - or ideally some combination.

If you run a marathon using a charity place, that charity will expect you to raise £1,000 or even £2,000 for them - they don't care how, they just want their money. Maybe the same principal should apply here. Do the NSC/BBS public really want to pay money to watch people like sheebo and Scottie mac (no offence meant here) play? They're probably no better than I was at their age. On the other hand, if they've worked hard for the privilege, then it would be more than reasonable that they are lucky enough to represent my football club in this sort of game.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I disagree. I feel we have all grown with the squad, we like the guys, we want them to win, we have a few beers together, this has grown over the years and makes it far more personal and the game more meaningful. The money raised from their sponsorship is great but NOT the only thing. Also the gate is likely to be bigger than to watch a load of strangers who have paid their way into the team. For me the day we have 20 fat rich Bank managers no one knows but paid £ 500 each to " play " in the game so they can tell their spoilt kids they played with Peter Ward is the game I think I will step down.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Who cares. As long as money is being raised. Surely that is the ONLY point here. Its embarrassing and childish. I will say it. This is purely a mates kickabout using REMF as a smokescreen. It has NOTHING to do with fundraising.

I can however understand the ex-professional to get the PUNTERS in.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I disagree. I feel we have all grown with the squad, we like the guys, we want them to win, we have a few beers together, this has grown over the years and makes it far more personal and the game more meaningful. The money raised from their sponsorship is great but NOT the only thing. Also the gate is likely to be bigger than to watch a load of strangers who have paid their way into the team. For me the day we have 20 fat rich Bank managers no one knows but paid £ 500 each to " play " in the game so they can tell their spoilt kids they played with Peter Ward is the game I think I will step down.

that is not what I was saying at all....read my post again

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
my point is how much would we lose on the gate when people don't come to see a load of strangers who have " paid " to play, how much will we lose on the raffle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here