The REMF team - selection etc

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I guess so but Bozza is the boss and he can do it I suppose. Anyway enough.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Finally Andy is putting up the squad later today I hope so lets move on. This has been unstickied and the mods can end the thread if they so wish and then it will be almost impossible to co ordinate the event.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Finally Andy is putting up the squad later today I hope so lets move on. This has been unstickied and the mods can end the thread if they so wish and then it will be almost impossible to co ordinate the event.
To be clear, is he putting up the squad, or the reasoning behind the squad? Because lets face it, all some of us are asking for is some transparency and really couldn't care less who the names are behind the team.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would suggest he puts up the squad and a brief reason but its important his explanation is accepted as it could turn into a binfest of epic proportions. I personally don't see why he should have to give reasons as no manager has had to do so in the 8 games before but it seems a few people want this and will not rest until he does.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Next year then can we actually have selection based on who can raise the most cash/or indeed prepared to pay for the privelige.

Afterall it is for CHARRIDY and there can only be one winner.

Unless people have another agenda OTHER than raising as much for this charity...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would suggest he puts up the squad and a brief reason but its important his explanation is accepted as it could turn into a binfest of epic proportions. I personally don't see why he should have to give reasons as no manager has had to do so in the 8 games before but it seems a few people want this and will not rest until he does.
Gareth, you'd do well not to take it so personally, IMO.

The simple fact is that REMF is the de facto official charity of this board and there are issues *this* year. It is *not* important that an explanation is accepted at all - it is important that issues are addressed and a concensus is reached.

What annoys me more than anything else is that you seem more concerned about sparing Andy Rumble's feelings than offering to do anything for the people who have chipped in a quarter of the sponsorship money on false pretences. I'm genuinely sorry you don't like it (I really mean that), it isn't a slight on you, but people have concerns, they need to be addressed properly, rather than just whitewashing us with "move along, lets all get along, it's not in the spirit" and all that.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think these 'so and so should be playing because I sponsored him' arguments could easily have been avoided if people just waited until the team was named before sponsoring anyone...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gareth, you'd do well not to take it so personally, IMO.

The simple fact is that REMF is the de facto official charity of this board and there are issues *this* year. It is *not* important that an explanation is accepted at all - it is important that issues are addressed and a concensus is reached.

What annoys me more than anything else is that you seem more concerned about sparing Andy Rumble's feelings than offering to do anything for the people who have chipped in a quarter of the sponsorship money on false pretences. I'm genuinely sorry you don't like it (I really mean that), it isn't a slight on you, but people have concerns, they need to be addressed properly, rather than just whitewashing us with "move along, lets all get along, it's not in the spirit" and all that.

Simster I accept your comments but it is VERY HARD for me trying to co ordinate this event to keep everyone happy all the time. I try not to take sides and am not going to start slagging off Andy as I am very aware that this is a Charity and I am not someone's boss. They do it for the fund and I have no reason to question anyone's motives. I am sure Andy will speak for himself.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think these 'so and so should be playing because I sponsored him' arguments could easily have been avoided if people just waited until the team was named before sponsoring anyone...

I've nothing to add to what I said earlier, about this situation in general, and do not want this binfest laid at my door. People's greivances need to be taken as being in regards to general points on selection, etc. Not about individuals. If they choose to use me, or snoobs, as examples to illustrate their points, so be it, but this is not about me. Its very uncomfortable, and frankly its making me look like a right ****.

In response to your point above Rich - as well you know - the players from last year were all sent the link to this year's justgiving page, with an invitation to 'get cracking'. If any assumptions were made that is my fault, not the fault at all, of anybody who generously sponsored me, in good faith.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes they could. So perhaps you shouldn't have opened the sponsorship page before announcing the squad, or telling all players being considered DIRECTLY that the squad would or wouldn't be announced based on sponsorship raised.

What shouldn't have happened is that potential squad members were asked to start gaining sponsorship on the assumption they would play - because clearly that is not the case.

Now you know my story Richie, and I'm not making it up. Money is tight enough at the moment and to be honest, I actually want my money back. I'm happy to give it to charity, but not this one. I have a mate running the London marathon in 3 weeks for another mate of his with MS. I'd rather my cash went to him. Seriously.

Richie, it's very easy for you to keep saying things like that as you're in the squad. I'd suggest that perhaps it would be best if Rumble commented.

I don't buy the "these players were away/injured" argument either. So what? Last years captain/scorer of the winning penalty and possibly the best player we could have don't get a look in? And that's before we talk about levels of sponsorship.

On that note, if people waited for the squad to be formally announced you'd have raised NOTHING by now, and the game is less than a month away. Great idea.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A copy and paste of a PM from em to Uncle Spielberg earlier about this:

Gareth,

This has little to do with you and the sterling work you undertake year after year.

But you have to realise that the annual REMF match is the marquee event for the charity which is very much entrenched in NSC. The very nature of NSC is that there are a lot of young men who would like to be involved.

Yet, how the team is selected seems shrouded in mystery. Both being a good player and being good at raising money do not seem to be criteria - so how do people get involved?

I've often had people contact me about how they could play and it is easy to see how people could see it as a closed shop of a clique where newcomers are not welcome. If that perception persists then the charity will not flourish and this event will not raise as much money as it could.

For NSC to be involved in publically backing this, then there needs to be a full and frank open disclosure as to who is involved and, most importantly WHY. Then the whole community can get involved to support the event in whatever way they can.

I'm sure Andy and Brett can and will do that. Along with many other people, I look forward to reading the details so everyone can move on.

Darren

And the reason this thread has been unstuck is so I can copy out all the shite and leave a nice clean one at the top again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Which is not far different to what we did last year and we did ok...
There were significant differences last year. Brettles went cap in hand to certain NSC aquaintances in order to fill the squad - it wasn't oversubscribed as it is this year. And in any case, even that isn't good enough. It needs to be FAR more transparent. Secondly, individual players had their own sponsorship pages, which raised FAR more money. Why has that been abandoned? Oh yeah, to spare the blushes of Scotty Mac and his ten MATES who don't raise very much and whose sole contribution seem to be to turn up and play on the day. Sorry if I'm jumping to conclusions, but in the absence of anything more concrete, I'll have to draw my own conclusions.

P.S. Are you going to ignore my last post again Richie? I really do want my money back.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
P.S. Are you going to ignore my last post again Richie? I really do want my money back.

Not really anything to do with me.

If you want it back (which I think is more than fair enough) I would ask Gareth or Brett (who is admin of the justgiving page I think).

Anyhow. This is my last post on this subject. I was only really trying to balance out the criticism of Rumble / the team etc. Had no intention of entering a huge debate.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Next year then can we actually have selection based on who can raise the most cash/or indeed prepared to pay for the privelige.

Afterall it is for CHARRIDY and there can only be one winner.

Unless people have another agenda OTHER than raising as much for this charity...
All too late for this year but I agree.

I played in the first year and I think we all agreed to pay £100 for the privilige - plus sponsorship. If you were an impoverished student and couldn't afford the £100 match fee - well, tough your place went to someone with a bit more financial clout. Surely no one is saying the squad should be picked soley on ability? That first year we had some SHOCKING players, and yeah, I was probably one of them. But here's the thing: the result was/is irrelevant! It's about RASING MONEY. No one has really come to see a load of not-very-good footballers playing a sub-standard game, they've come because they want to support the charity. I'm not saying it's the be-all and end-all (otherwise I might make a come-back next year!) but the ability of the players to make a SUBSTANTIAL contribution to REMF has to be a criteria otherwise what's the point?

If the main point of the REMF game isn't to raise money (as stated earlier by Ritchie on this thread and seconded by others involved) then I feel a bit of a tit for donating. Added to that, because I am sponsoring a player who isn't even in the squad now, I am tempted to ask you for my money back also so that I can donate it to a more transparant charity that is dedicated to raising cash for good causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports