The REMF team - selection etc

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
We have raised another £120 today auctioning off two tickets to Arsenal v Barcelona. :clap2::clap2:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
The players will all help out as much as they can with publicity etc.

Not everyone has an office or a group of friends who can/is willing to sponsor them for this but I believe that every member of the squad will try their hardest to raise as much money as they personally can for this good cause.

Here's hoping it's another successful night and let's not forget why we will be there on the night.

We have raised another £120 today auctioning off two tickets to Arsenal v Barcelona. :clap2::clap2:

Where was this auction held? Sorry I don't want to sound negative but you could have sold those tickets to an agency for twice that on one phone call.

Going back to the "binfest". The only person getting hot under the collar Ritchie is you, the rest of us would just like to see the REMF pot as big as possible and as supporters of the charity I don't think it unreasonable to enter into a reasoned discussion about how best to do this. From what I can see the team is not picked on footballing ability or Snoobs would be in. And it's not about maximising funds for the REMF. So on what basis is it picked? Reasonable question as it is the centrepiece event for the charity.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well here it is folks as to what I alluded to earlier.

This is at a fledgling stage so no promises but it has been run by the Eaton family who are overwhelmed by the idea and " the committee ".

I hope I am not considered " name dropping " but the plans are being rigorously followed up. Its early days and over a year away and now is as good a time as any I suppose to break this news and show what the REMF can and hopefully will achieve in the future.

To me and the Eatons and everyone else I hope this is the perfect way to celebrate REMF 10 in 2011. Can the players imagine playing in front of 10000, 15000, 20000 people at one of the first matches at Falmer playing in the new stadium before anyone else.

Ten years on from REMF 1 and all we have achieved together hopefully all our dreams can come true.

No promises but lets see how things develop. Updates will follow.

The club also want to have a permanent reminder of Robert and the REMF at the new Falmer stadium and are speaking to the Eatons as best how to do this.

Here we are.

Gareth

I hadn't forgotten your Email of 6 December and have a few comments re. your
suggestion in the last paragraph.

As I understand it there will be few public ramp-up events at Falmer -
probably two. Therefore it wouldn't be viable to devote a whole event
to REMF 10. However it may be possible to play a mini-game, say 20 minutes
each way - before one of the main events.

It's a very worthwhile cause and would be a great way to commemorate and
honour not only Robert, but all those other Albion fans who cannot be with us to share in the joy of the new stadium.

Gareth, I hope we can fulfil REMF's dreams .I have copied Martin in this reply
as he'll be able to give you more guidance on the prospects.

Best wishes for the coming year.
Regards
Dick Knight

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
That is outstanding news Gareth.

Shame it won't be a full game though - if it happens.
But a big well done to you, and a big Thank You to the club.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Early days John. Many people mentioned this as a possibility. So the time has come to say it is a REAL POSSIBILITY. There are no promises from Dick but its on the agenda.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes that is great news Gareth. A big well done to you for organising it as that would be an utterly fantastic achievement.

One thing I would say is that I really hope there is some transparency over how the team is picked for REMF 10, because that is going to be a big one, and a real privilege and honour to play in.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As I said people would pay hundreds of pounds to play in that but I would suggest the team and players that have been there since 2001 should play with maybe an auction for 2 people in the squad. Anyway lets not get ahead of ourselves it is early days and may not come off but it has been mentioned and have wanted to show it is being seriously considered.

Lets concentrate on REMF 9 first.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Gareth, I gave Al the Virgo shirt. I think Merry Prankster won it last year? Can't remember that far back I am afraid.

Does REMF have a website yet? I am sure there would be someone on here willing to knock something up for a decent rate, if you don't.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The website is on line shortly.

Stumpy Tim

from a personal point of view, all of my albion supporting friends have a choice of about 10 members of the squad whom they know and could sponsor

Without wishing to bring this debate up again, this for me is the issue. Not having a go at Scotty Mac here, but it's obvious from this thread that it doesn't matter if you're the best player (Snoobs) or raised the most (Hufflepuff), the team is largely based on being mates with the manager. Sorry if I'm wide of the mark here, but having TEN players who are close friends off the pitch playing for REMF must dramatically reduce the amount of sponsorship the charity gets. If I had TEN friends playing, I would sponsor one. The charity is reducing their potential sponsorship by 9 tenths. Doesn't sound right to me

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
this thread is getting embarrassing - can't you start another thread for all the binfests, and lock the one with the info in it? It's not going to do the charity any favours when there's a hundred replies of petty squabbling.

seems to be like the issue is HKFC not being allowed a place in the squad; obviously he's going to be disappointed, but fortunately he has taken this with good grace and not been at all bitter about it. Don't think he needs all his mates to come on here and start arguing the toss.

There's thousands of Brighton & Hove Albion fans. Nailing down a squad of 18 or whatever must be a nightmare.

Just be grateful there's a game being played, raising money for a good cause, and stop whinging about it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Why does a perfectly reasonable debate have to be described as a binfest?

Genuine question because I don't think you've read any of the thread to be honest. It's about people asking about maximising sponsorship from the game. I don't see too much personal invective nor do I see many raised tempers.

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Where was this auction held? Sorry I don't want to sound negative but you could have sold those tickets to an agency for twice that on one phone call.

I don't doubt that. But they only became available this morning and as they needed to be both collected from and returned back to Mid Sussex today (they have another game on Saturday) it cut down on the target market somewhat.

stu7878

mid air general
Oct 9, 2008
Hi all REMF supporters,
Just a quick note to say, I am a Lewes resident and obviously an albion fan. I have been aware of REMF for some time but not taken as much interest as perhaps I should have. Having seen the game details on here, I just wanted to say if there is anything i can do to help in the run up to the game, or on match day itself I would be more than happy to do so. (I will naturally donate anyway)

PM for contact details.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Hi all REMF supporters,
Just a quick note to say, I am a Lewes resident and obviously an albion fan. I have been aware of REMF for some time but not taken as much interest as perhaps I should have. Having seen the game details on here, I just wanted to say if there is anything i can do to help in the run up to the game, or on match day itself I would be more than happy to do so. (I will naturally donate anyway)

PM for contact details.

We may require posters distributing around Lewes. As I work in Lewes, I will contact in the next week or so, if that's OK.

Which leads me onto another point - is there anyone who can volunteer to put up posters in any specific area? Let me know.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Without wishing to bring this debate up again, this for me is the issue. Not having a go at Scotty Mac here, but it's obvious from this thread that it doesn't matter if you're the best player (Snoobs) or raised the most (Hufflepuff), the team is largely based on being mates with the manager. Sorry if I'm wide of the mark here, but having TEN players who are close friends off the pitch playing for REMF must dramatically reduce the amount of sponsorship the charity gets. If I had TEN friends playing, I would sponsor one. The charity is reducing their potential sponsorship by 9 tenths. Doesn't sound right to me

Tim,

There isnt a group of ten mates all playing for the REMF, it was just a figure of speach. Apart from Albion games, most of the squad dont see each other until the next REMF game.

Yes there are a few mates in the team who see each other away from the Albion/REMF but it is in NO-WAY picked because they have a beer with the manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports