The refereeing at this World Cup has been...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So you basically want American football then? A game would probably take over two hours to complete. Given that players usually start suffering cramps when games go to extra time, I'm not quite sure how that would work.

Not at all, I just want 90 minutes of football, and goalkeepers not taking over a minute to take a goal kick as they are leading 1 nil.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Refs OK so far. Bosnia were robbed though.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I thinks it's been poor. The referees have not given enough cards when they are needed. And there have been a few big decisions that were wrong. Particularly in the opening game.

And does anyone else get annoyed that penalties that have been saved when the goalkeeper is clearly off his line have not been retaken. What's the point of the linesman standing next to the goal when he never says that a goalkeeper was off if his line.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
...on the whole very good I think. So far.

It seems the only FIFA directives this time around have been:

1) To let the game flow as much as possible.

2) Blow the whistle bang on when the allotted added on time is up.

I think they've got most of the big decisions right. The odd penalty decision that could have gone either way I suppose, but then you're always going to get that. For me the refereeing has been like a breath of fresh air, especially compared to my memory of previous tournaments. I don't think there's been a single game where the talking point has been the referee. Most have been anonymous, just like they should be.

What have you thought of it so far?

I agree, I think the refs have done pretty well. They have got some of the 'Simulation' (let's be honest, dives) decisions wrong but it annoys me that people are blaming the refs for this, surely the onus and responsibility is on the players.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I agree, I think the refs have done pretty well. They have got some of the 'Simulation' (let's be honest, dives) decisions wrong but it annoys me that people are blaming the refs for this, surely the onus and responsibility is on the players.

Refs are paid to fix the games!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I agree with the OP. I think the refs have been crucial in allowing the games to flow and this has contributed to the high levels of entertainment on show. It seems that there has ben some directive about the reluctance to issue cards, there could have been loads more, but I think all the refs have been fairly consistent throughout. The real moments of controversy seem to have come around when refs have been successfully conned by players, which in real time they cannot be blamed for.

No tournament will have perfect refereeing, and I'd say on the whole it's been pretty decent in this WC.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Refereeing has been good, but the mistakes made will always be more noticed than the good performances - hence why those are saying it has been poor.

Remember, being a referee isnt an easy job at the best of times - factor in that your at the World Cup finals with millions worldwide watching - it puts your entire reputation on the line and you will be nervous and potentially make bad calls, but on the whole, there have only been a few incidents. Fred diving in the first game being one of them.

RE Suarez, neither official saw what actually happened so nothing could happen, but the allegations made by Chiellini would have been put into an extra incident report and sent to FIFA. Yes there was teeth marks, but can you be 100% sure the player did it at that moment and it didnt happen at another time. If you arent 100%, you cant make a decision.

The flow of games has been good too, and the invisible spray helps free-kicks get taken correctly and quicker too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports