Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ref weren't happy with 'ring of fire ' last night was he?

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As previously mentioned the Ref definitely does NOT wait for the music to stop before starting the match. Referees are briefed beforehand about the Albion pre-match routine (which could involve (but hopefully doesn't) maybe a 15-20 second wait in the tunnel whilst the pre-match video sequence is played out). However it is entirely his discretion when he wants to bring the teams out and start the match.

Maybe so in theory, but in practice the entire body language of the refs at the last three home games has been SCREAMING 'turning that f*ckin racket off!'.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Not sure about Bennett being a compassionate young man. If he was he wouldn't have blasted the ball like that at the crowd in the first place!

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I've clicked so you don't have to:

---

Five things we learnt from Brighton & Hove Albion’s excellent home win against league leaders Derby County

1) Ring of Fire might be becoming a ring of fire risk. The song played just before kick off to gee up the Amex crowd and appeared to antagonise referee Neil Swarbrick. The sometime premier league official was unable to start the match until it stopped. The game got under way at 7.47pm.

2) Not many Albion fans appeared to recognise former Albion goalkeeper Eric Steele. He played in Albion’s promotion winning team at Newcastle in 1979 is now Derby’s goalkeeping coach. Steele spent most of the match giving instructions in Derby’s technical area.

3) Joe Bennett is a compassionate young man. The Albion full back whacked the ball into the crowd from the touchline and apologised to the fans he hit in the Lower West Stand immediately. He was booked for his trouble and five minutes later, while taking a throw in from the same area, he appeared to apologise again.

4) Ex-Brighton and Hove mayor Ann Norman and her husband Ken enjoyed Albion’s win from their seats in the West Stand 1901. Ann, who also completed the inaugural Brighton Marathon in 2010, appeared delighted with the result and both look to be die-hard Albion fans.

5) Both Albion goals were scored by substitutes. It was Dale Stephens’s second goal for the club and Kazenga LuaLua’s ninth.

Re 2.....seemed pleased I recognized him....
Re 3 ....you're dead right, good to see.

ted hitchcock

Sep 7, 2009
Maybe so in theory, but in practice the entire body language of the refs at the last three home games has been SCREAMING 'turning that f*ckin racket off!'.

Sorry didn't realise you were a body language expert; when does your C4 series start?? "In practice" both the referee and the fourth official praised the club for the clear direction given with regard to the pre-match sequence and the Dave Mackay tribute. Take it from me, the last thing on an official's mind in the moments before kick-off is whatever is coming out of the PA. Still, 3 wins out of 3 since RoF has been played. UTA.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I wasn't happy either, what a load of shite. It used to be a great time for chanting, just before team came out, but it's completely killed that.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
This would be better if it was a regular "5 somewhat notable people I spotted at the match" feature.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry didn't realise you were a body language expert; when does your C4 series start?? "In practice" both the referee and the fourth official praised the club for the clear direction given with regard to the pre-match sequence and the Dave Mackay tribute. Take it from me, the last thing on an official's mind in the moments before kick-off is whatever is coming out of the PA. Still, 3 wins out of 3 since RoF has been played. UTA.

You're right of course. If only we'd known that twirling a few scarves in a singalonga pre-match sequence was the secret to success at home, we could have saved on Hughton's wages.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
I recognised Eric Steele and would imagine anybody older or of a similar age to me (43) would have done too.

It`s hardly the first time he`s been in the opposition dugout.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The minute's applause would have added about, er, a minute also. The huddles were a bit cringe-making and went on for far too long. The ref should just have blown his whistle with both teams mid-huddle, that would have made for excellent entertainment! :lol:

I've always wanted that to happen, to our opponents of course. Before we started doing it again, it used to annoy me that the teams, who've had hours together before the match, felt the need to gather together for a big pre-match group hug, and keep the opposition waiting. Fine if both sides are doing it, but if it's just one, and the opposition have the kick off, I'd love to see the whistle go and watch them all panic, trying to get back from their hug to stop the ball sailing over their heads into the goal.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Incidentally, I'm curious to know where the O/P got his idea for "Five things we learned from..." style of posting.

Perhaps [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] could offer some insight.

Last edited:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I wasn't happy either, what a load of shite. It used to be a great time for chanting, just before team came out, but it's completely killed that.

Its club-constructed trying to make an atmosphere which NEVER works, maybe in the MLS. That said, having this version of Ring of Fire instead of Fanzone - then go back to having GOSBTS as the last song before KO would be most welcome by me, as GOSBTS should be the last song.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

---

Five things we learnt from Brighton & Hove Albion’s excellent home win against league leaders Derby County

1) Ring of Fire might be becoming a ring of fire risk. The song played just before kick off to gee up the Amex crowd and appeared to antagonise referee Neil Swarbrick. The sometime premier league official was unable to start the match until it stopped. The game got under way at 7.47pm.

2) Not many Albion fans appeared to recognise former Albion goalkeeper Eric Steele. He played in Albion’s promotion winning team at Newcastle in 1979 is now Derby’s goalkeeping coach. Steele spent most of the match giving instructions in Derby’s technical area.

3) Joe Bennett is a compassionate young man. The Albion full back whacked the ball into the crowd from the touchline and apologised to the fans he hit in the Lower West Stand immediately. He was booked for his trouble and five minutes later, while taking a throw in from the same area, he appeared to apologise again.

4) Ex-Brighton and Hove mayor Ann Norman and her husband Ken enjoyed Albion’s win from their seats in the West Stand 1901. Ann, who also completed the inaugural Brighton Marathon in 2010, appeared delighted with the result and both look to be die-hard Albion fans.

5) Both Albion goals were scored by substitutes. It was Dale Stephens’s second goal for the club and Kazenga LuaLua’s ninth.

1) Wild speculation. Nothing 'learnt'.

2) Guesswork. Nothing 'learnt'.

3) Minor fact 'learnt'.

4) Look at me in 1901. Nothing new 'learnt'.

5) Obvious fact. Who needed to 'learn' this?

The teacher needs to work on the lesson plan.

FAIL :lolol:

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
When watching CH interview after the game, I learnt that he had bloodshot eyes and a whack to his cheek after the ball PANNED him in the face during the first half!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

---

So it just a look at me I sit close to the benches thread

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
What are the 5 shittest things I could have posted about last nights game.

I normal don't mind Tims updates on the weather and who he has seen out and about.

However if this is an actual attempt at writing its ****ing shite.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What are the 5 shittest things I could have posted about last nights game.

I normal don't mind Tims updates on the weather and who he has seen out and about.

However if this is an actual attempt at writing its ****ing shite.

To be fair to Tim, his weather update was equally ****ing shite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here