Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] ‘the ref was a mate so i didn’t send him to VAR’

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
It`s so simple it`s painful , end of every game both managers /coaches are obliged by tv rights to give an an interview and explain how they won or lost , why does the ref not face the camera ? . Is it because like "the complete and utter shyster" are not just protected by a corrupt FA and PGMOL , they are given a F***ing job with Sky ? , even you lot on here can see the wrong in that ! .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I just saw this clip from soccer saturday.

He doesn't claim he 'missed it', his first comment is that he saw it multiple times.

But I'm finding his explanation a bit of a fudge, and I do wonder if too much is being made of the whole thing.

The term 'mate' is misleading, and they're not actually friends, but for the duration of the match they have that approach. He didn't send him to the screen, not because he was a mate, but because he was protecting the referee - that it is the official's job to protect the referee.

The best way to protect the referee is to catch his mistakes, to highlight the things he has missed. Seeing he has missed something and not drawing his attention to it makes him look worse than giving him a second opportunity to review the footage. As long as officials realise this (and I would like to think most of them do), I'm not sure this is any bigger than one VAR ref having a howler.

Essentially it all boils down to Mike Dean made a mistake. He saw the incident and didn't act. If, as he says, he was sat down for three weeks following the incident, he was punished for it, too. To me that should be the end of it (subject to any further revelations that officials are choosing to ignore incidents in a misguided attempt to protect a ref).

I think the more I think about this, the more irritated I become. I have often tried to defend officials, explain decisions within the laws of the game. Things like this undermine trust in the systems.

I believe this all boils down to Dean made a mistake, and ratheer than simply hold his hands up and say 'I screwed up. I lost focus, I second-guessed myself, whatever. I didn't do what I should have, and I was punished for it'. He has tried to make himself the hero, to 'noble-ise' his decision. It wasn't him not doing the job properly, it was him trying to be a hero, to protect the ref (whether because Taylor is his mate or his "mate" is irrelevant). It is completely illogical. You don't protect the ref by letting him miss things, letting him get things wrong. You protect him by catching what he can't see, or highlighting when the speed of things tricked his eyes.

But in trying to make his failure to do his job something more than it was, Dean has undermined the whole system. How many people made/heard comments about Taylor having a mate on VAR when he wasn't sent to the screen to review the penalties? Personally, I don't think any of them were penalties (though if any had been given I doubt he would have been sent to the screen to review them, they were that type of incident), but what I think is irrelevant.

Football fans don't need much motivation to proclaim themselves victm of refereeing errors/ineptitude/conspiracies. This just exacerbates that, and continues to undermine referees and VAR etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mike Dean was an awful official, and he's also a complete twat for trying to excuse his incompetence.
Agreed

(just summarising your post)

CaergybiGull

Aug 13, 2020
Caergybi, Ynys Môn
I think the more I think about this, the more irritated I become. I have often tried to defend officials, explain decisions within the laws of the game. Things like this undermine trust in the systems.

I believe this all boils down to Dean made a mistake, and ratheer than simply hold his hands up and say 'I screwed up. I lost focus, I second-guessed myself, whatever. I didn't do what I should have, and I was punished for it'. He has tried to make himself the hero, to 'noble-ise' his decision. It wasn't him not doing the job properly, it was him trying to be a hero, to protect the ref (whether because Taylor is his mate or his "mate" is irrelevant). It is completely illogical. You don't protect the ref by letting him miss things, letting him get things wrong. You protect him by catching what he can't see, or highlighting when the speed of things tricked his eyes.

But in trying to make his failure to do his job something more than it was, Dean has undermined the whole system. How many people made/heard comments about Taylor having a mate on VAR when he wasn't sent to the screen to review the penalties? Personally, I don't think any of them were penalties (though if any had been given I doubt he would have been sent to the screen to review them, they were that type of incident), but what I think is irrelevant.

Football fans don't need much motivation to proclaim themselves victm of refereeing errors/ineptitude/conspiracies. This just exacerbates that, and continues to undermine referees and VAR etc.
Exactly.

If my team plays crap and gets twatted? Fine.
If my team plays great and gets beat by a better team? That’s ok too, I can live with that.
Player / official makes a complete cock-up and holds their hand up? Ok, not great but kudos for being honest.

That nonsense from Dean? No.

[edit] also, respect at reviewing your stance, that is not easy and I should be so gracious, cheers @Acker79

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
sorry but this is absolutely shocking

sorry but this is absolutely shocking

yes this is mike dean and yes he admits it was an error, but i’m willing to wager this is the thought process for a multitude of the shocking decisions we have seen. english refereeing run like an old boys’ club, not good enough

He has now stated on Sky TV , that He , and how many other referees )priorotise their own feelings and well=being above arriving at the correct decision !.... !!
yes this is mike dean and yes he admits it was an error, but i’m willing to wager this is the thought process for a multitude of the shocking decisions we have seen. english refereeing run like an old boys’ club, not good enougThe worst thing is that

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
So basically it’s solving nothing, because it seems to be operated by ****s every week.

Whilst embracing goal line technology, VAR simply sucks the enjoyment out of celebrating a goal being scored - hate it….
what VAR has done has proven beyond doubt how shockingly bad English refs are. VAR has taken away the excuse of crap decisions due to how fast the game is on the pitch when it comes to pens and offsides. There is no excuse for the incompetence of the VAR officials. It has laid bare that there is something very wrong with refereeing in England.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
After years of their organisation / bosses defending poor decision making rather than using it as a learning tool before the introduction of VAR, we are seeing the result of that in the level of officiating they are at now. they seem to have lost the understanding that they should be aiming to reach the correct decision, rather than just backing their colleagues choice and sticking with the incorrect one to 'support' their colleague.

Comments about not re-refereeing the game by VAR come across more as we won't pick up on something he has seem but made the wrong decision over when we could easily review and either overturn or refer them to the monitor to overturn it themself as we'd prefer to back the man in the middle and their initial decision rather than make sure the correct decision is made (the whole point of VAR to me is to get it right) Get it right and there isn't then the need to rescind red cards (like Mac Allisters for Liverpool this season) or to issue apologies to teams / managers for mistakes made by VAR (like the several we got last season.

Until they understand how everyone else expects VAR to operate, and it's purpose, then we will continue to see controversy over it's inclusion in the game, and the (percieved) low standard of refereeing in this country.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
what VAR has done has proven beyond doubt how shockingly bad English refs are. VAR has taken away the excuse of crap decisions due to how fast the game is on the pitch when it comes to pens and offsides. There is no excuse for the incompetence of the VAR officials. It has laid bare that there is something very wrong with refereeing in England.
It has. But even with competent officials, it remains subjective and introduces unnecessary delays to a game.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I was listening to the Lineker/Richards/Shearer podcast the other day.
It was one following the United vs Wolves game and Howard Webb was on.

In regards to the Penalty appeal he was questioned about Michael Salisbury:
Webb: He's a really good VAR ref who has proven himself time and again
Shearer: Wasn't he on VAR for the Spurs vs Brighton game last season?
Webb: Yeah he was. He missed the. penalty on Mitoma

Webb has gone down a lot in my opinion after that.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It has. But even with competent officials, it remains subjective and introduces unnecessary delays to a game.
If used correctly as it is in the rest of Europe it works very well.
I was in Munich last March meeting up with ex-work colleagues (Germans, Spanish and Italians) and talk revolved around footy. I was asked what the hell were we doing with VAR and was it being run by the Brexit brigade?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If used correctly as it is in the rest of Europe it works very well.
I was in Munich last March meeting up with ex-work colleagues (Germans, Spanish and Italians) and talk revolved around footy. I was asked what the hell were we doing with VAR and was it being run by the Brexit brigade?
Can’t comment as haven’t seen it, but anything that stops the flow of the game doesn’t work for me.

Didn’t think much of the application during the Women’s World Cup recently.

Would be interested to see how other countries do it if more effective.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Can’t comment as haven’t seen it, but anything that stops the flow of the game doesn’t work for me.

Didn’t think much of the application during the Women’s World Cup recently.

Would be interested to see how other countries do it if more effective.
All I can say is that even the normally miserable and argumentative Italian was for it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If Refs' were better we wouldn't need VAR but the standard has dropped so low that it is necessary. We're now hearing from an ex senior ref that despite watching videos he still made dumb decisions due to some hidden code, ie I won't make a fool of you and I'd expect the same from you!!

Get rid of the clear and obvious as it allows a get out of jail card to the VAR. And move away from the perception that the onfield ref is god.

I'd also make it a condition that all audio between the ref and VAR is available to the broadcasters, even post most match if not during. We had the comical situation last year when Webb released audio of a controversial decision that the ref actually got right but we never heard the audio when they got it wrong!! I would suggest he is a bit hamstrung by senior refs not wanting that exposure. I wonder why?

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
After years of their organisation / bosses defending poor decision making rather than using it as a learning tool before the introduction of VAR, we are seeing the result of that in the level of officiating they are at now. they seem to have lost the understanding that they should be aiming to reach the correct decision, rather than just backing their colleagues choice and sticking with the incorrect one to 'support' their colleague.

Comments about not re-refereeing the game by VAR come across more as we won't pick up on something he has seem but made the wrong decision over when we could easily review and either overturn or refer them to the monitor to overturn it themself as we'd prefer to back the man in the middle and their initial decision rather than make sure the correct decision is made (the whole point of VAR to me is to get it right) Get it right and there isn't then the need to rescind red cards (like Mac Allisters for Liverpool this season) or to issue apologies to teams / managers for mistakes made by VAR (like the several we got last season.

Until they understand how everyone else expects VAR to operate, and it's purpose, then we will continue to see controversy over it's inclusion in the game, and the (percieved) low standard of refereeing in this country.
Well said Guy ,
all of our suspicions were disclosed in one minute by mike dean in his grey jacket ,
Its about Omerta isnt it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here