Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The ref not falling for their "pretending to be hurt" shit

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Best officiating I have seen this season.

It just baffles me the PL can’t use refs like this as a benchmark for other refs.

Really, it’s not that difficult is it - following minimal contact, if the bloke collapses in a heap, writhes around in agony and quite clearly play-acting, BOOK HIM EVERY TIME. Millions of fans see this every week but the ref standing 20 feet away can’t….

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He did well.

If you are on any international football forum, Spanish fans will say "La Liga refs are the worst", in Italy they will say "lol Serie A refs...", in Sweden likewise... in reality most of them are quite good. Obviously they will rarely be the same quality as the players, there's just not competition enough for that - you dont have 500 million kids going to training sessions 3-5 times a week in order to become the best referee. But they are still good, its just a very hard and terribly underappreciated job. So whenever they get any praise, like this bloke, they were obviously really, really good and I agree that was the case.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I liked the way he let the game flow. Interestingly, the ex-ref that comments in the Times (can’t remember which one) was critical though, saying he should have spotted both VAR incidents without needing it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I liked the way he let the game flow. Interestingly, the ex-ref that comments in the Times (can’t remember which one) was critical though, saying he should have spotted both VAR incidents without needing it.

Which is unfair IMO.

The Veltman thing happens usually multiple times per game only no one gives a shit about it so that they reacted to it at all was nice, but I dont expect the ref to necessarily see it immediatly. Whenever there is a corner there is a lot of things that happens in the penalty area and its not possible to see everything.

When it comes to the Maupster goal I do think he spotted it but used VAR to to be sure which is just sensible imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here