Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The reason for our good run...?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Didn't Hughton indicate that Bong could be fit for Cardiff? If so, would an emergency left back be the best option? Given a choice between a potentially unmotivated player here for 1-2 games and Calderon, I think I'd be happier with the Basque Love God using his years of experience and commitment to the cause to make up for any lack of pace. Don't forget, we could/should have beaten both Derby and QPR away in consecutive matches with him there if it hadn't been for some defensive howlers from a couple of his colleagues.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Didn't Hughton indicate that Bong could be fit for Cardiff? If so, would an emergency left back be the best option? Given a choice between a potentially unmotivated player here for 1-2 games and Calderon, I think I'd be happier with the Basque Love God using his years of experience and commitment to the cause to make up for any lack of pace. Don't forget, we could/should have beaten both Derby and QPR away in consecutive matches with him there if it hadn't been for some defensive howlers from a couple of his colleagues.
Hughton said Bong would be 'close' for the Cardiff game.

Lua Lua was 'close' for many weeks. Baldock has been 'close' as well for the last match or two.

'Close' doesn't seem to mean 'fit', sadly.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Not read the whole thread but we look to have excellent team spirit in the side. It was interesting to see on the Fulham Derby highlights that not one Derby player went to console the lad who scored the own goal on his debut. I'm pretty sure Stockdale went straight up to Goldson to have a positive word after his OG. It's little things like this that are going to help us maintain pressure on those above us.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
Not read the whole thread but we look to have excellent team spirit in the side. It was interesting to see on the Fulham Derby highlights that not one Derby player went to console the lad who scored the own goal on his debut. I'm pretty sure Stockdale went straight up to Goldson to have a positive word after his OG. It's little things like this that are going to help us maintain pressure on those above us.
Long may Derby's meltdown continue! [emoji38]ol:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
All the Goldson is great gang are ignoring the naturally nervous start he made. All credit to him for coming through this. He has also looked less comfortable playing against a big target man, particularly when they are holding the ball up to bring others into play. He can and will get better and does look a prospect.

Playing 442 with two wingers has also cost us points. Brentford away and Boro at home in particular we were too open. We now have plenty of options to change formations and tactics, which we couldn't do in December.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
[tweet]687028093257682944[/tweet]

CH does have the capacity to go off on one when the team don't give 100% in a match.

I have no idea whether he did or did not go mad at them after that match; however , if you listen to his press conference after that match you see him lose his chain of thought during the questions and he gets a bit muddled up. That possibly suggests he just wants to get the interview over with and back into the dressing room, so they probably did get verbally battered after that one.

That maybe gave them the kick up the backside they needed but I think the upturn in form is mainly down to the fact that the wingers and in particular, Murphy is not constantly having to track back and cover defensively. Calderon did well when he came in but at his age he is not as quick as he once was so needed assistance from the winger to help cover him if he got beaten for pace.

Murphy and Knockeart still do defensive cover without the ball but with the ball they now know that they have the full backs going beyond them which makes them both difficult to defend against and that helps us to put teams on the back foot more. That in turn makes us more of a threat going forward and the opposition less of a threat against us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hughton said Bong would be 'close' for the Cardiff game.

Lua Lua was 'close' for many weeks. Baldock has been 'close' as well for the last match or two.

'Close' doesn't seem to mean 'fit', sadly.

You'd better hope Chaileyjem doesn't see this post. The injury recovery situation is apparently very clear. :wink:

el punal

I think it was 99% true that Hughton gave the players a right dressing down after the Rotherham game (I can't find the tweet from the journo but pretty sure it's true).

Rotherham was the first game our squad looked more complete than the previous month & probably the worst result of the season in the end. It's pretty clear the catalyst for our 4 defeats in 5 was injuries & tiredness but we needed to get out of that losing habit..

Hughton seems a very calm fella. Could this be one of the few times he laid into the players and gave them a wake up call - seems to me he's played a blinder...:clap2:
I think you're spot on. I seem to remember the "bollocking" incident was reported somewhere on social media. I'm sure that that rant had an effect on the players because it's been a continual improvement since.

The other point is that Chris Hughton always gives the impression of being a calm, thoughtful and knowledgeable manager as opposed to that blustering balloon Steve Evans. So when Chrissie does go off on one I would imagine the players take notice straightaway and respond accordingly. Good job too.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I recall feeling a bit annoyed that Stockdale did not go straight to Goldson to have a positive word, but generally agree we have a team that is together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here