Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The REAL reason to get to Hartlepool.....

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
to give this man a standing ovation:

0,,10326~3186870,00.jpg

It'll be a sad day.

Squad To Pay Tribute To Michael Maidens

Posted on: Tue 23 Oct 2007

The Pools squad will make an emotional tribute to Michael Maidens this weekend when they take on Brighton & Hove Albion at The Vic.

After discussions with Michael's family it has been decided that a minute's silence will be observed prior to kick-off.

As well as that, all of the players will sport the name 'Maidens' on the back of their shirts above their regular squad numbers.

News of his death has hit hard and many of the players have left flowers and tokens of respect on the gates at Victoria Park.

Club Captain Micky Barron sees this tribute as a fitting way for the players to pay tribute to their popular team-mate.

"It was something the lads thought about straight away," Barron told us.

"It will be a good tribute to him and I am certain that Saturday will be a very emotional day for everyone.

"Michael will be foremost in our thoughts for that moment before kick-off but we are aware we have a game to prepare for."

Barron also revealed the upset at the training ground where the squad have comforted each other in the wake of Friday's tragic accident.

"There haven't been many days I have gone to work and said nothing but Monday was a bit like that," he commented.

"On Monday we knew we had to train but all the lads were shell-shocked and it was about making sure that all your team-mates were ok.

"I think some of the younger lads needed that - a chance to talk about what had happened because they've known him a long time.

"A few of us laid some flowers at the ground on Monday afternoon and read some of the lovely messages there.

"I've spoken to the rest of the lads and said that whenever they're ready they should go and do the same even if it upsets them because it's a nice way for us to remember him."

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I wonder who's got the record for the amount of times played against us AFTER leaving us.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
he will always be a legend for scoring THAT goal against southampton......for rothehram

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
_1764682_barker300.jpg

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
muir maybe up there but not sure either of the other 2 would

can only remember both of them playing a couple of games against us

akinbiyi maybe?

be good to see the bear,was sorry to see him go

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
be good to see the bear,was sorry to see him go

the only reason he went was because he wanted to go back up north due to his father being ill

imagine if we had of kept him - him and zamora would have been a DREAM partnership

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Whilst I have a lot of respect for all our players from those dark days, I know from a good friend of his that Richie was simply turning up for the pay cheque, absolutly no interest in the Albion. Sad, and probably understandable in those days, but true.

But that is an aside, Maidens tribute is sure to bring a tear to the eye for most, RIP Michael.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Whilst I have a lot of respect for all our players from those dark days, I know from a good friend of his that Richie was simply turning up for the pay cheque, absolutly no interest in the Albion.

Odd then that after transferring to Macclesfield he turned up to watch us away at Mansfield and stood in the away end.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Odd then that after transferring to Macclesfield he turned up to watch us away at Mansfield and stood in the away end.

he always talked favourably about his time at the albion whenever we used to speak to him in the executive lounge at rotherham as well

AndyDibblesGloves

Oct 24, 2007
Richard Barker was superb last season.

He seems to be struggling this season though. He does put his body on the line for his team mates all of the time, and takes all of the hits.

He lacks a bit of pace now though sadly.

But he will be leading the line on Saturday.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I dont doubt what you say Phil but I always had Barker down as one of the more honest pros from those times.

People like Paul Sturgess well I would say they were after the pay day.

Col P

Feb 13, 2006
nice guy meet him on the way back from gillingham after his last game for us he wanted to stay but Horton was keen on a clean out and in hind sight a couple of those who went were mistakes Barker was one of them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here