Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'real' history of the BHA/Palace rivalry, according to npower...

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I've just had a mailout from npower, and this little nugget was enclosed...

'Crystal Palace vs Brighton & Hove Albion

The Managers’ Feud, 1976

The Palace and Brighton feud began during the feisty 1976/77 season-long battle for promotion. Palace were managed by Terry Venables and Brighton had Alan Mullery in charge. The two managers themselves already had a rivalry of their own after falling out over the captaincy as players while at Tottenham.

Both the players and the fans followed their managers lead. The two clubs met five times throughout that season and the matches were littered with incident. But it was the third replay of a first round FA Cup clash that finally lit the touch paper.

First of all Brighton had a perfectly good goal disallowed. Then to add insult to injury they scored from the penalty spot only for it to be disallowed for encroachment. Brighton’s Brian Horton then duly missed. To this day referee Ron Challis is referred to by Seagulls as the “Challis of the Palace.”

Both clubs went on to win promotion that year but 36 years later the mutual animosity remains fervent. After all, no one enjoys a good grudge quite like a football fan, eh?...'

Any grain of truth in it folks ???

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Started in 74 , first game of the season at home, August 17th

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sounds about right to me. The Venables/ Mullery rivalry helped ignite it and the handful of loose change thrown in front of the Palace fans by Mullery as he walked past them whilst telling them "that's all your worth" is the stuff of legend.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It was certainly the event that sealed it, but it didn't come out of nowhere. As rocker959 points out (and Return of the Rev will do the same) it started to kick off about two years prior to that. However if you want to pick a single event then the Challis match is definitely it.

Leas

Dec 3, 2011
i thought it started when Albion were promoted to division 1 in 1976/77 but palace were already in div 1 and they were the nearest club to Albion ? what i do know is that my friend started off the birth of the " seeeeagulls " chant from the north stand when we were playing palace , there chant then was " eeeeeagles " ( not sure if it still is now? ) the palace were all packed chicken run ( old east terrace ) giving it there chant when my mate pointed to a seagull flying over the north stand and started chanting " seeeeeeagulls " the rest is history , in the later years he was in the argus for banning himself from the Goldstone ground as he was getting into to much trouble :clap2:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
i thought it started when Albion were promoted to division 1 in 1976/77 but palace were already in div 1 and they were the nearest club to Albion ? what i do know is that my friend started off the birth of the " seeeeagulls " chant from the north stand when we were playing palace , there chant then was " eeeeeagles " ( not sure if it still is now? ) the palace were all packed chicken run ( old east terrace ) giving it there chant when my mate pointed to a seagull flying over the north stand and started chanting " seeeeeeagulls " the rest is history , in the later years he was in the argus for banning himself from the Goldstone ground as he was getting into to much trouble :clap2:

I thought it all started in 1967 when we played palace in the fairs cup final and we started chanting seagulls at them because they are vermin.

Well theres as much truth in that as in Leas post.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I've just had a mailout from npower, and this little nugget was enclosed...

'Crystal Palace vs Brighton & Hove Albion

The Managers’ Feud, 1976

The Palace and Brighton feud began during the feisty 1976/77 season-long battle for promotion. Palace were managed by Terry Venables and Brighton had Alan Mullery in charge. The two managers themselves already had a rivalry of their own after falling out over the captaincy as players while at Tottenham.

Both the players and the fans followed their managers lead. The two clubs met five times throughout that season and the matches were littered with incident. But it was the third replay of a first round FA Cup clash that finally lit the touch paper.

First of all Brighton had a perfectly good goal disallowed. Then to add insult to injury they scored from the penalty spot only for it to be disallowed for encroachment. Brighton’s Brian Horton then duly missed. To this day referee Ron Challis is referred to by Seagulls as the “Challis of the Palace.”

Both clubs went on to win promotion that year but 36 years later the mutual animosity remains fervent. After all, no one enjoys a good grudge quite like a football fan, eh?...'

Any grain of truth in it folks ???

We scored the penalty at Stamford Bridge but a Palace player encroached and we were made to re-take it and missed it.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Sounds about right to me. The Venables/ Mullery rivalry helped ignite it and the handful of loose change thrown in front of the Palace fans by Mullery as he walked past them whilst telling them "that's all your worth" is the stuff of legend.

"You're not worth that" is what I recall & prefer as more dismissive...
'We hate Challis' boomed out around the Goldstone 20 years on

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

the north end of the East terrace was definitely not palace as I was there with about 3 k others
as for the "seagulls" chant that came from the north stand and was almost immediately taken up by the East terrace then later on by those in the West stand(when they eventually woke up)

they were good days and even then the with all that going on the bile was not as bad as it is now and I for one cannot understand it

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Pompey took the piss out of us,just as Millwall did out of Palace

The opening game of the season did kick off,but that wasn't when the rivalry took hold

That was when we played them 5 times a couple of seasons later

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
All I know is that I was singing rude songs on the school bus about the scum a few years before 1976.

Those were the days.

TB

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Your first fact is wrong, so is the second.

So the rest is probably wrong too, but I didn't bother reading it.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
bha2.jpg

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
A thought occured to me about the original excerpt. If it was a third replay, Shirley it would mean we played them six times that season ??? Two games in the league, plus the original cup tie, and three (?) replays ??? I was a teenager at school at the time and might have been at one or two :smile:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But, by the time of the Feb'1976 league clash at the Goldstone (Peter Taylor manager era), there was hatred in the stands and streets, and I remember surges of fans even in the old East Terrace to aim abuse at the ski-jump-nosed winger Peter Taylor.

The intense rivalry/hatred seemed already well established pre-Mullery and pre-Challis.
Perhaps simply because: near-ish neighbours, both well supported, and both on the rise at the same time, in an era of violence?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here