Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Railway Bell

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
According to my son who used to drink in The Bell but now drinks in The Standard it is down to the police stating that they would apply for the license to be revoked if they continued to allow drinking outside and also insisted that they stop selling shots on match days. The police apparently want it to serve only away supporters as they can then police it a lot easier.with men deployed at tge station. Whether or not this is true I dont know but that is what he was told by one of the doormen.

IF true then it is a very poor show. No great history of problems since The Amex opened, odd kerfuffle but it is right outside the station. If it is to become an Away only venue it will show what a Big Brother state we live in.

Oh well.......

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A doorman told BG's son who told BG who's telling us.

I suppose it makes a change from the FootballRumours website.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
By doing what they have done means more of our nutters scattered around ..which will keep plod on there toes more ? or give them more overtime? i'd of thought you'd want all our lot in one place but hey they know what ther doing its great more poeple using different boozers . I think next season they wont want us in the standard either matbe it'll be the rise of the bosun gain???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A doorman told BG's son who told BG who's telling us.

I suppose it makes a change from the FootballRumours website.

I met my son for a drink and he said to meet him at The Standard because nobody goes to The Bell as they have been stopped drinki ng outside in the enclosur and then told me the story. I believe that it is probably true as there are so many do good busy bodies with nothing better to do in Sussex who hate to see people enjoying themselves. It is then left to old bill to sort it

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I met my son for a drink and he said to meet him at The Standard because nobody goes to The Bell as they have been stopped drinki ng outside in the enclosur and then told me the story. I believe that it is probably true as there are so many do good busy bodies with nothing better to do in Sussex who hate to see people enjoying themselves. It is then left to old bill to sort it

It is true, everyone has to go out the back for a smoke and no singing allowed either. A shot that is a particular favourite of a few Albion fans is not allowed to be served.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Now lots go to the standard the old bill will soon start nicking poeple for obstructing the pavement seemed to be very happy with there cameras saturday filming everyone!

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
Very fond memories of the Railway Bell, the MK Seagulls destination for pre match refreshments during the Withdean years. Don and Maggie were the landlords then, and although seedy, and had a Basil Fawlty lookalike barman, was always good value.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The previous landlord left because he was told to "get rid of the hooligans". He knew the "hooligans" were what kept that pub running and refused, he left and is now doing nicely running "The Gunners" pub in London. I wonder how long it'll take until an away team comes down still thinking its our "hooligan" pub and attacks it.

Used the love the Bell - took my kids there most weeks (youngest is 8) and never felt unsafe for them. Always a great pre and sometimes post football pub for me.

Don't know the station area too well. Where is the standard? Are kids welcome? Does it have the lunchtime games on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here