Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Radio Times Comedy of the Century

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't find Mrs Brown's Boys funny personally, though I did find myself laughing the other week when they had a 'live' episode and Brendan O'Carroll was stitching up his co-actors with unscripted bits - the improv side was very good.

Other than that I would say Green Wing, Black Books or IT Crowd.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me three stand out - The Office, The Inbetweeners and Mid-Morning Matters with Alan Partridge.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Radio Times will probably end up like the NME and become an ad filled giveaway effort that still no one reads.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The Thick of it.

If we include the yanks then Arrested Development (apart from the final ill advised Netflix series)

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
As I don't recall the last time I even saw a copy of the RT never mind read it, I don't know whether this was just about UK/British productions...

but for sitcoms... Big Bang Theory or Silicon Valley, for satire... Last Week Tonight. All 3 a million times better than Mrs Brown's Boys! FFS, Pointless is funnier than that drivel.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I would have The Ali G show in there featuring Borat..................

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Special mentions for Spaced, I'm Alan Partridge, both of which straddled the 90s/00s.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would have The Ali G show in there featuring Borat..................

Borat (and Bruno)'s bits on Da Ali G Show were INCREDIBLE, but this is best "sitcoms". Otherwise I would also add Big Train.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The Thick of it.

How did I not think of that! That's probably my number one pick now, particularly the specials where Tucker's on the back foot as the PM changes. It was great to see what he was willing to do for self preservation.

I don't find Mrs Brown's Boys funny personally, though I did find myself laughing the other week when they had a 'live' episode and Brendan O'Carroll was stitching up his co-actors with unscripted bits - the improv side was very good.

Oh I saw that! That was actually quite amusing, but, as you say, it was all the unscripted stuff. I think there's a little bit of improv etc... in normal episodes, but this was jam packed and it was great watching all the poor actors trying not to corpse.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Borat (and Bruno)'s bits on Da Ali G Show were INCREDIBLE, but this is best "sitcoms". Otherwise I would also add Big Train.

Apologies. The OP didn't state sitcoms but the link obviously does, which I missed, so that rules out Ali G.

Alan Patridge, Phoenix Nights and The Office for me.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Bloody awful show.

Whilst I don't find Miranda funny at all I can understand why some do (just about), Mrs Brown's Boys is just alien to me. Crap beyond words.

That it beat Black Books, The Thick of It, Green Wing and The Inbetweeners is criminal.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bloody awful show.

Whilst I don't find Miranda funny at all I can understand why some do (just about), Mrs Brown's Boys is just alien to me. Crap beyond words.

That it beat Black Books, The Thick of It, Green Wing and The Inbetweeners is criminal.

See, I've never met a single person who likes Miranda but I can certainly imagine the sort that likes MBB. They'll be drawing their pension for a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here