Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The race for 4th

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
6 points off the relegation zone is loads. People think it's two games but it isn't, because the teams down there pick up about a point a game. It would likely need 5 or 6 defeats on the trot for us to slip down there. I never understand how people seem to forget this every year.

Plus even if, say, Burnley did go on a winning run, there are still 10 teams between us. It's not just the points you need to look at

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Just to put things into perspective-

We are 5 points off 4th place
We have 6 points more than 4th from bottom Watford.

True but there are only two teams between us and fourth placed West Ham. There are 9 teams between us and 17th placed Watford!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
4th :lolol:

Last edited:

We started season getting more points than we arguably deserved while not playing that well. We're now playing some great stuff and not getting the points we arguably do deserve. Our football at times has been top 4 stuff lately or put another way, as good as anyone other than city liverpool and Chelsea. It goes without saying a top quality striker and we could hit top 6. We are certainly good enough with our play to dream of 4th to 6th and, it's still anyone's with Arsenal and United likely with the big money they have.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Difficult one to predict. I think WHU have 9 games in December and to be honest, we look shattered. Pretty thin squad too so a couple of injuries and we're having to rely on squad or youth players.

To be honest, Arsenal are playing well....they had their "blip" at the start of the season.

So Arsenal for 4th and then you can choose any team from 5 or 6 teams for the next 2 or 3 places.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
8 points, and 8 goals, from our last 10 matches doesn't bode well.
Our "season defining" run of 5 matches starting with Newcastle has yielded a massive 3 points with one match to go. We should have harvested at least 8 points (including the Southampton match) to have any thoughts of fourth place..

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Erm - most of us would be happy to see how many games we have left when and if we hit 40 points. Then we can dream of higher placed finishes!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
8 points, and 8 goals, from our last 10 matches doesn't bode well.
Our "season defining" run of 5 matches starting with Newcastle has yielded a massive 3 points with one match to go. We should have harvested at least 8 points (including the Southampton match) to have any thoughts of fourth place..
Why is it "season defining" run of 5 games? Our season clearly wasn't defined by our first 5 games where we picked up 12 points. Our season will now be defined by how many points we get in the next 24 games. (And of course winning the FA Cup, which is a given)

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
It's fun to think about, but let's not let some very high aspirations blind us to the fact that finishing 12th would be good progress.

Beyond that would be a nice bonus. We are getting better, developing the squad, improving the players, season on season. So while I would caution some tempered expectations, I would also say that we can be excited about what the coming seasons might bring. Carry on improving the way we are and we can genuinely look forward to competing in that 4th-8th zone on a regular basis in the years to come.

But let's not make it a hope, or worse, an expectation this season, even though it could conceivably happen. Let's improve on last season, avoid the bottom half if we can, and enjoy watching great football every week.

Spot on.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Why is it "season defining" run of 5 games? Our season clearly wasn't defined by our first 5 games where we picked up 12 points. Our season will now be defined by how many points we get in the next 24 games. (And of course winning the FA Cup, which is a given)

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

That's why I put it in parentheses. Four matches ago there was plenty of discussion about the next 5 matches against teams we should expect to beat if we were to be serious contenders for top 7 or 8. A good return of 8 points plus would be a springboard for the rest of the season. A poor return of 3 points or less would be the opposite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here