Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Queen.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Indeed. Some people are very easily pleased.

All that privelege and wealth could be used to help the NHS I'd have thought, but no let's have two minutes of platitudes barely a week after her eldest son went against all health advice and took an entourage the length of the country. Bravo.

So true.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
[tweet]1246878639305752577[/tweet]

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
What I did like was her reference to and inclusion of people with no religious faith - "many people of all faiths, and of none" - especially as she is head of the C of E.

You'd never get that in the States

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Indeed. Some people are very easily pleased.

All that privelege and wealth could be used to help the NHS I'd have thought, but no let's have two minutes of platitudes barely a week after her eldest son went against all health advice and took an entourage the length of the country. Bravo.

Because having an elected head of state doesn't cost anything !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because having an elected head of state doesn't cost anything !
Not really the point is it. Her family has accumulated vast wealth over centuries and must owe billions in back tax. We will never see it of course.

But if you must take issue with the fact that I am complaining that she has chosen to do nothing with her privilege and wealth and instead chosen to conduct a pointless 2 minute speech crammed with platitudes, all I'll say is that actions are louder than words, and the actions of her own son show a level of contempt for the people and how rules need not apply to her family. We have allowed this attitude to to flourish by simply never ever questioning whether a royal head of state is even appropriate in this day and age.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not really the point is it. Her family has accumulated vast wealth over centuries and must owe billions in back tax. We will never see it of course.

But if you must take issue with the fact that I am complaining that she has chosen to do nothing with her privilege and wealth and instead chosen to conduct a pointless 2 minute speech crammed with platitudes, all I'll say is that actions are louder than words, and the actions of her own son show a level of contempt for the people and how rules need not apply to her family. We have allowed this attitude to to flourish by simply never ever questioning whether a royal head of state is even appropriate in this day and age.

What is Charles' Duchy of Cornwall worth? £21million per annum income, total value of the assets, including land, property and investments, were valued at £1.1billion in 2018-2019. Charles is said to be worth £100m I think...

Although the duchy is considered to be a crown body and therefore exempt from corporation tax, Prince Charles reportedly volunteered to pay income tax on the duchy income. Big of him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What is Charles' Duchy of Cornwall worth? £21million per annum income, total value of the assets, including land, property and investments, were valued at £1.1billion in 2018-2019. Charles is said to be worth £100m I think...

Although the duchy is considered to be a crown body and therefore exempt from corporation tax, Prince Charles reportedly volunteered to pay income tax on the duchy income. Big of him.
Correct. And of course, until he did that, his Duchy had put loads of local Cornish firms out of business because they were unable to compete with his businesses who didn't (and still don't) have to find the 20% corporation tax.

There are loads anomalies like this that surround royalty. I do wonder if people would be quite so keen on our royal family if they knew.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Well, I just thought it was a bit short.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
See someone walked into a nice smelling thread with dog shit on their shoe.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Great speech . Not a big fan of the royals but the queen is always fantastic and puts her country first and has done for over 66 years . It’s impossible not to have anything but huge admiration and respect for her.

Same... I am not a royal but the queen has been pretty special over the years and has some very big shoes to fill.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
QueenPiccadillyCircus0804.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
This thread is further evidence that people's brains are wired differently. I mean, it's nice that people find her speech reassuring/compelling/meaningful in any way, but I just don't get it.

This isn't a criticism btw, just an observation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here