Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Queen

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That generation included her mother who lived to 104. Genetics plays a bigger part in lifespan, than wealth.

Not surprised, very well looked after. But to be fair that's a freak. 104 is unusual for any generation.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yep. She has had it tough. I don't see 63 years as an achievement really, all she had to do was not die, which is pretty easy when you have the absolute best of everything.
I can see why some like her. Personally I've got nowt against the woman. What she represents and the monarchy as a concept I have a huge issue with. Basically she's a useless , loaded old woman. Can't hate her, can't love her, don't respect her.

Whether you like or not, I think you will find that she is not useless. There is much anecdotal evidence, from those who work and have worked with her, that she works hard and has been a diligent representative of this country. As Head of State, above politics, she is surely well respected. If this were not the case, whom would you choose to replace her. An ex PM, such as Tony Blair touring the Middle East on a State Visit . . . . .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep. She has had it tough. I don't see 63 years as an achievement really, all she had to do was not die, which is pretty easy when you have the absolute best of everything.
I can see why some like her. Personally I've got nowt against the woman. What she represents and the monarchy as a concept I have a huge issue with. Basically she's a useless , loaded old woman. Can't hate her, can't love her, don't respect her.

Nicely put, Nibble.

Despite being an unelected head of state (something I fundamentally disagree with), she has conducted herself appropriately. I particularly applaud the fact that she hasn't used her position of enormous power to influence.

This is in stark contrast to her dreadful eldest son, who sticks his oar into all manner of things he is unqualified to speak about. I firmly believe that if he ever becomes a monarch, we might see republicanism become an influential movement. No chance of that whilst Liz is in the chair though, which is to her credit.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think I am a Royalist or maybe I am just patriotic, even with all its illogical privilege I feel she been a a credit to the country.

Shes just a descendent of a powerful Mafia like family I suppose.

I bet she would have had so much more fun if she was an unknown rich woman, she cannot even re mortgage the palace and put a conservatory on the back.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Whatever you may think of the monarchy, hats off to her. A truly remarkable achievement :clap2:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
:thumbsup: Apart from the useless bit because everybody is good at something :)

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
It's been emotional.
aqueen.gif

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'm sure she's done her job well, but I can't recognize having an incredibly murderous thieving ******* as a distant relative as an achievement.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the other hand, spare a thought for Prince Charles.

His mother reached the female state retirement age almost 30 years ago, when he was 37. Now he himself is 67 and two years a pensioner.

Given that the Queen Mother lived to be over 100 and there's longevity in the royal genes the chances of him getting the king gig before he turns 75 are slim. And even when he gets his hands on the crown it will be the royal equivalent of trying to replace Sir Alex Ferguson at Man Utd. I can see him being the Windsor equivalent of David Moyes.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I still think having an unelected head of state without political power is better than electing a president. The queen represents us on a moral level that politicians are unable to do.

The thought of electing some power hungry ******** every few years is pretty horrible.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It really is a comprehensively outdated set up which should be done away with. I have a real problem with people having so much and so many having so little. Especially when not penny of it has been earned.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I still think having an unelected head of state without political power is better than electing a president. The queen represents us on a moral level that politicians are unable to do.

The thought of electing some power hungry ******** every few years is pretty horrible.
This is nonsense, IMO. You're picking the best example of an unelected head of state (the queen, who has carried out her role well enough) and comparing it to the worst outcome of an elected one (a power hungry, useless twàt like Gordon Brown or Ian Duncan Smith).

How about the idea of an unelected hard of state who abuses his power (like Prince Charles routinely does already) and compare that to a benign but popular, apolitical figurehead voted as head of state that perhaps doesn't wield actual power?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As a convinced Republican, if one has to have a Monarch one could do a lot worse.

I have enormous respect for the Queen, but absolutely not for the institution.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't see 63 years as an achievement really, all she had to do was not die
I don't disagree, but I feel that what many are celebrating is not really the fact that she's stayed alive and become the longest serving monarch, but that she's actually worked for all that time, and done what many think is a good job.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Speaking as a total lefty: imagine doing whatever job you do - and hers is obviously one that she never actually chose - in public, and then never messing up, not once in 63+ years. She's never said something she shouldn't have, never even worn a duff outfit, certainly never made a fool of herself, despite basically being stared at for a living. Quite a feat.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Speaking as a total lefty: imagine doing whatever job you do - and hers is obviously one that she never actually chose - in public, and then never messing up, not once in 63+ years. She's never said something she shouldn't have, never even worn a duff outfit, certainly never made a fool of herself, despite basically being stared at for a living. Quite a feat.

Plus she was eminently SCRUTTABLE well into the 1960's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here