Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Problem Lies Here

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's rather telling that they are pretty much the only example people can think of. There may be others, but they are the exceptions that prove the rule. There are no absolutes. There is nothing (within reason) that will work every time and nothing (with in reason) that will never work. But, generally, with the modern game most teams will rotate.

problem we have in many positions are the players are basically all clones, far too similar.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's rather telling that they are pretty much the only example people can think of. There may be others, but they are the exceptions that prove the rule. There are no absolutes. There is nothing (within reason) that will work every time and nothing (with in reason) that will never work. But, generally, with the modern game most teams will rotate.

There is such a thing as 'keep the shirt' if you are playing well. Ferguson did it and used to live on it.

Rogers changed his team less last year, hence the success, this year they are in Champions League, rotating, and losing to West ham.

If you play well and dropped immediately there is little incentive in my mind.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There is such a thing as 'keep the shirt' if you are playing well. Ferguson did it and used to live on it.

Rogers changed his team less last year, hence the success, this year they are in Champions League, rotating, and losing to West ham.

If you play well and dropped immediately there is little incentive in my mind.

All the champions league teams rotated, even Ferguson, either before or after Champions League football depending on who they were playing.

There are many things that Liverpool's form so far this season is being attributed to by people smarter than me, including the distraction of champions league (something Allardyce credits West Ham's win yesterday to), and the loss of Suarez, an ageing Gerard, several new players getting used to each other, last season's poor defence not being improved. The only problem I've seen people comment on regarding squad rotation this season and Liverpool is Brendan Rodgers' inexperience with it, with the general attitude being it is an obligation of being a champions league team.

That they didn't rotate the squad as much last season is possibly part of the reason their title challenge slipped, going from top of the table to runners up because the challenge of playing so many big important games was too much for the team and a bit more rotation may have helped them do better than they did.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Not really a daft argument when you consider the quality of balls into them which they would have required step ladders for most of the time .... Colunga scuffed his chance because he is Rodriguez part 2, Baldock was pants throughout the game for a 1m player you would expect a little more

What about a striker that cost 2.5m. Should he be 2.5 times better than baldock?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
***A genuine question***

How many chances were created similar to Colunga's first minute miss?

Basically quick through ball, to feet, on the shoulder of the last defender.

It's my current mantra, so I know I'm not in a position to be objective.

All the team has to do is create 4 of those, and at least would go in.

Your last sentence is the problem IMO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We are not ready to rotate the squad. Poor Sami decision to implement rotation now.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
All the champions league teams rotated, even Ferguson, either before or after Champions League football depending on who they were playing.

There are many things that Liverpool's form so far this season is being attributed to by people smarter than me, including the distraction of champions league (something Allardyce credits West Ham's win yesterday to), and the loss of Suarez, an ageing Gerard, several new players getting used to each other, last season's poor defence not being improved. The only problem I've seen people comment on regarding squad rotation this season and Liverpool is Brendan Rodgers' inexperience with it, with the general attitude being it is an obligation of being a champions league team.

That they didn't rotate the squad as much last season is possibly part of the reason their title challenge slipped, going from top of the table to runners up because the challenge of playing so many big important games was too much for the team and a bit more rotation may have helped them do better than they did.

That is highly debatable. You could argue the fact they had a settled side enabled them to challenge more than squad rotation would have allowed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here