Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Price of Football Survey by the BBC

yorkshire seagull

May 18, 2004
Leeds
Found here - BBC Sport - Clubs reveal all in BBC Sport Price of Football survey

Few highlights - Brighton are the 5th most expensive 'day out' in the Championship, whilst Watford are the cheapest. Ipswich have a match-day ticket for £59 :)ohmy:), whilst Leeds have the most expensive programme in football at £4. Crawley have the cheapest cup of tea in all 4 divisions (50p - bargain), whilst Man Utd are by far the cheapest of the "Big 4".

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This bit is bizarre.

"Newcastle United were the only club out of the 104 surveyed who did not reveal their prices."

Does that mean that if you're an away fan looking to buy a ticket for SJP, they won't tell you how much it's going to cost? I don't believe that for a moment. That's just lazy research.

Our prices don't take into account the 10% electronic card discount (nor the very cheap junior tickets). I don't think we're that badly off down here, not when you take into account the quality of the stadium and the availability of decent beer and grub.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
This bit is bizarre.

"Newcastle United were the only club out of the 104 surveyed who did not reveal their prices."

Does that mean that if you're an away fan looking to buy a ticket for SJP, they won't tell you how much it's going to cost? I don't believe that for a moment. That's just lazy research.

Our prices don't take into account the 10% electronic card discount (nor the very cheap junior tickets). I don't think we're that badly off down here, not when you take into account the quality of the stadium and the availability of decent beer and grub.
Away fans wouldn't get 10% discount though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Away fans wouldn't get 10% discount though.

It doesn't say the survey is about away fans - about 90% of the supporters at the Amex will have a cashless option.

I agree it's only 53p but it would take us above Hull in the list.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
İbrahim Tatlıses;4269083 said:
f***ing obscene the amount we pay for football, all so clubs can afford the astronomical wages that players demand today.

I mentioned this last year but it still astounds me,

We went to the opera at Christmas as a family treat. Four adults and a child went for £85 (and they weren't the cheapest seats) - it would cost over a ton for the same people to see a game at the Amex. When football is more expensive than opera, you know something is wrong.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I mentioned this last year but it still astounds me,

We went to the opera at Christmas as a family treat. Four adults and a child went for £85 (and they weren't the cheapest seats) - it would cost over a ton for the same people to see a game at the Amex. When football is more expensive than opera, you know something is wrong.

Football's not subsidised by the taxpayer.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Football's not subsidised by the taxpayer.

That's very true - but even with the subsidy, it's not been cheap.

When I first went to the opera in the 70s, it was about three or four times the cost of going to football - how times change.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
f***ing obscene the amount we pay for football, all so clubs can afford the astronomical wages that players demand today.

Yes, mainly because supporters boo and throw their toys out of their prams when their team doesn't win every week, they demand the big signings and the success. How many supporters have turned on managers etc. over the years which has led to the reduced lifespan of managers in their roles. The pressure comes from the stands in the first place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, mainly because supporters boo and throw their toys out of their prams when their team doesn't win every week, they demand the big signings and the success.

this. we the fans demand the improvement of whats offered, we demand the better player or the bigger name. if one wants to simply watch football there is plenty of non-league to watch.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes, mainly because supporters boo and throw their toys out of their prams when their team doesn't win every week, they demand the big signings and the success. How many supporters have turned on managers etc. over the years which has led to the reduced lifespan of managers in their roles. The pressure comes from the stands in the first place.

Got agree with that. People don't seem to realise that losing is as much part of the game as winning.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

The trouble with that theory is that three of the six most expensive teams (of the ones who have completed their details) are Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool. Two of them have the longest serving managers in the PL and Liverpool fans (Hodgson aside) have traditionally been very loyal to their managers - the other three in the top 6 are the teams who have just gone up and you can't blame them for wanting to cash in a bit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
IMO it's not the demands of the players we're paying for, it's the demands of the fans. We don't want to just see some random footy, we want to see quality and we want to see us win, and that's going to cost.

Why should footy be cheaper than opera? They can show Opera every night, no need to rest the staff. And is Opera always cheaper - looks like it's twice as expensive if you want to go to the royal opera house this week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here