Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Premiership to blame?

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
OK, here's my take on England's World Cup no-show.

Think back to the last time England did well in a tournament? Euro '96 to me was relatively successful. We reached the semi-finals and went out on sudden death penalties. We were a unlucky not to progress and arguably go on and win the thing.

When was the last time England played with belief and as a team? Italia '90 for me. Again we reached the semi-finals and drew with the eventual winners. That was two years before the Premiership's inception.

Compare the England of 1990 with that of today. I feel we have gone backwards. As the Premier league has strengthened in money and quality, the England team has got less effective, disunited and underperformed.

Looking at every England player picked for the squad, how many have played abroad? None. In 1990, how many had played outside of their home country?

The spine of the England team that played today against Germany; Terry, Lampard and Rooney. At club level, none of these players have really tasted defeat.

Sacking Capello is short-sighted and naive. The blame, for me, lies with the culture of England's top tier.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Compare the England of 1990 with that of today. I feel we have gone backwards. As the Premier league has strengthened in money and quality, the England team has got less effective, disunited and underperformed.

But that's not coincidental. In 1990, football was run by the FA and the Football League and they, generally, worked together. Since then, the Premier League has been set up and there's no sense that they work with the FA in helping the national team - in fact, they seem diametrically opposed in many instances (making players available for friendlies for example).

It's also no coincidence that the England cricket team has improved greatly as it's gone in the completely different direction, where the national team's needs take precedence over those of the counties.

You can a league that enriches clubs or you can have a league structure that supports the national side - you can't have both.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I'm just thinking that most of England's players play club football in teams of foreigners, and can't do the business when taken out of those teams and asked to perform in internationals. They perhaps flatter a bit in those teams, as it's easy to play well with good foreigners around them, but get found out when playing with countrymen ???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think "the premiership" is too vague. It has positives and negatives. I think there needs to be cultural change in football, youth development has to change, there needs to be more honour in representing your country. International games are being reduced these friendlies are distracting, they serve no purpose, we need to keep reducing them, we need to take the man utd players off after half time because Sir Alex doesn't want them getting hurt, etc.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
The prem is a bunch of overpaid primadonna's who are only made to look good by the foriegn players they play with.

Maybe all those people who were so approving of the "tough English game" when players like Shawcross play their way will finally realise that the English approach is wrong....we are technically miles behind many other countries....blood and thunder football is not the way ahead.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
there needs to be creativity coaching, if you cant play with with two feet, you don,t get a contract, Brazil make their make their kids train without boots and train 5 hours a day with a ball, this three lions bollocks aint working!!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The fans need to have some say as well, songs of "you've let your county down" should ring around the stadiums next season but, just like Man Utd fans four years ago when you forgave Ronaldo instantly, they wont.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
But that's not coincidental. In 1990, football was run by the FA and the Football League and they, generally, worked together. Since then, the Premier League has been set up and there's no sense that they work with the FA in helping the national team - in fact, they seem diametrically opposed in many instances (making players available for friendlies for example).

It's also no coincidence that the England cricket team has improved greatly as it's gone in the completely different direction, where the national team's needs take precedence over those of the counties.

You can a league that enriches clubs or you can have a league structure that supports the national side - you can't have both.

Sadly, you may be right.

The two main things we really lacked was passion and commitment. Over the last decade, whenever Beckham played for his country, you sensed he really tried and felt, work-rate wise, he could make a difference. Beckham had to recover from his '98 mistake and I feel it strengthened his character.

Of all the players who represented England in this year's world cup, who could you say replicated Beckham's never-say-die attitude? I can't think of anyone.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Premier League (and lower league) fans may play a part, they demand fast paced attacking football.

They boo teams or players for playing the ball backwards and retaining possession rather than going forward, is it then a surprise when we struggle to keep the ball when playing at international level.

We over-committed going forward, (but we were chasing the game), and got caught on the counter against the Germans rather than being patient, trying to be solid at the back and trying to get a goal back in the 45 minutes we had left to us.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Clubs have too much influence in preventing players going to play for their country. There is too much money at stake for them to risk their players playing for England and getting injured at international level, which is determental to developing an understanding between players at international level, and part of the reason why wwe play like players who haven't played together and take a while to get started in tournaments.

We should play our best players and play more international friendlies.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It has nothing to do with the Premiership, over paid players, arrogance, bad coaching or whatever other bollocks I have read on here tonight. It simply comes down to how our kids are trained from day one, 10 year olds are playing on full size football pitches. The biggest, strongest and fastest shine in this situation, not those who have ball skills. Until this is rectified England will continue to fail.

The FA need to start again from scratch. No child should play on a full sized pitch until they are 16. 5 a side until 12, building up from there. No one should be able to coach until they have badges. Money should be distributed to all clubs (to be spent on youth development), NOT just the Premiershite, so all clubs can have proper academies.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Clubs have too much influence in preventing players going to play for their country. There is too much money at stake for them to risk their players playing for England and getting injured at international level, which is determental to developing an understanding between players at international level, and part of the reason why wwe play like players who haven't played together and take a while to get started in tournaments.

We should play our best players and play more international friendlies.

How is this differnet from Spain, Germany, Italy, Germany, Holland, Brazil and Argentina?

Our players play like they have never met because they are so tactically unaware. Ozil spent all match finding space and none of our players took responsibility for picking him up, either momentarily or continually (ie. man marking him). Gerrard and Rooney never found space for the same reasons they just don't understand the game.

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
Our top players are good for their club sides because they are playing along side top forgien players, when it comes to england it just proves that they are just not good enough

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I blame the Premiership for Englands woes.
Too many foreigners & there needs to be limits as in Germany as to how many foreigners can play in a team.
That way more home grown talent will play at the highest level & hopefully develop more team spirit?

Yes, but the clubs actually need to develop and play local talent. These days the top Premiership sides seem to draw their youth academies intake from the rest of the world before their own commuinties - why should the Premier League be the development ground for countries other than our own?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, but the clubs actually need to develop and play local talent. These days the top Premiership sides seem to draw their youth academies intake from the rest of the world before their own commuinties - why should the Premier League be the development ground for countries other than our own?

But why shouldn't it - if that's what the clubs want?

That's exactly the sort of thing I meant when I said that the PL and national set-up are diametrically opposed.

I'll say it again: you can try to support the national team, or you can try to boost PL teams - you can't do both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here