Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Premier League Draft.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I was going to grab a centre mid, but the one I wanted has gone so instead I'm rounding off my centrebacks to make sure I don't miss out on this top talent.

A big part of Mourinho's Chelsea side on his first stint as manager here, this player was perhaps at the height of his considerable powers in 2004 when he was named UEFA's club defender of the year.

Not only that, but he has the Order of the Immaculate Conception of Vila Viçosa which makes him a god damn knight.

football3.jpg

Ricardo Carvalho

... [MENTION=5542]Horsham Gull[/MENTION] is next, I believe...

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
I was going to grab a centre mid, but the one I wanted has gone so instead I'm rounding off my centrebacks to make sure I don't miss out on this top talent.

A big part of Mourinho's Chelsea side on his first stint as manager here, this player was perhaps at the height of his considerable powers in 2004 when he was named UEFA's club defender of the year.

Not only that, but he has the Order of the Immaculate Conception of Vila Viçosa which makes him a god damn knight.

football3.jpg

Ricardo Carvalho

You absolute Bar-Steward!!! Two ruddy picks away from coming back :(

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

football3.jpg

Ricardo Carvalho

Oh you utter, utter ****ing ****. Kindly go **** yourself.

:wink:

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Ah, I think Gallas became LeBouef?

Yep. That's what happens when you lazily copy and paste without looking! Glad I noticed as I really wanted Lebœf. He has a great scoring record from centre back and dominated Ronaldo in the World Cup Final. Gallas was shortlisted because of the World Cup category but my lasting memory of him is him sulking in the middle of the pitch.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yep. That's what happens when you lazily copy and paste without looking! Glad I noticed as I really wanted Lebœf. He has a great scoring record from centre back and dominated Ronaldo in the World Cup Final. Gallas was shortlisted because of the World Cup category but my lasting memory of him is him sulking in the middle of the pitch.

Yep, he's a great pick. Regarding Ronaldo, didn't he have some kind of mental breakdown before the game and was only fielded because Nike insisted somehow?

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Yep, he's a great pick. Regarding Ronaldo, didn't he have some kind of mental breakdown before the game and was only fielded because Nike insisted somehow?

"Finally team doctor Lidio Toledo revealed the striker had been rushed to hospital after suffering a convulsion in his sleep but cleared to play after neurological and cardiac test"

According to the BBC. Although as they same article says, there's only one person who knows the whole story, and that's Ronaldo.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
"Finally team doctor Lidio Toledo revealed the striker had been rushed to hospital after suffering a convulsion in his sleep but cleared to play after neurological and cardiac test"

According to the BBC. Although as they same article says, there's only one person who knows the whole story, and that's Ronaldo.

True, you could understand if something was awry with the fella, the amount of pressure and attention on him during that World Cup was phenomenal.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
True, you could understand if something was awry with the fella, the amount of pressure and attention on him during that World Cup was phenomenal.

I was too young to remember it, I was only 4!

However, there are so many contrasting accounts about what happened, from the same article, there's a quote from Roberto Carlos who was sharing a room with Ronaldo and he said "Ronaldo was scared about what lay ahead. The pressure had got to him and he couldn't stop crying. "If anything, it got worse because, at about four o'clock, he started being sick. That's when I called the team doctor."

Just found a video of Ronaldo explaining what happened - Pretty interesting stuff. The balls of the bloke, to go straight from the hospital to a World Cup Final! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27797881

I also expect him to be one of the first players to go if we do a draft for the last 20/30 years on here. A truly fantastic footballer.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Still reeling after the loss of Carvalho :(

Time to regroup with a solid pick, probably one of the best left backs in premier league history and a lousy manager to boot...

Stuart "Psycho" Pearce

image.jpg
[MENTION=1023]Shuggie[/MENTION] you're up!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Still reeling after the loss of Carvalho :(

Time to regroup with a solid pick, probably one of the best left backs in premier league history and a lousy manager to boot...

Stuart "Psycho" Pearce

View attachment 63043

[MENTION=1023]Shuggie[/MENTION] you're up!

How the **** has he not already been picked?!?!?!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
[MENTION=1023]Shuggie[/MENTION] has until 9:09, with a reminder that [MENTION=14929]Max Paper[/MENTION] now has TWO catch-up picks to make and [MENTION=5542]Horsham Gull[/MENTION] has one.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
How the **** has he not already been picked?!?!?!

Because I already have a left back - I suppose most were completing the spine of their team and therefore fullbacks were not priorities

- I'm still torn as to who to go for next and glad i still have a little thinking time borfore my go

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I have decided to go for my goalkeeper next and have had several players in mind for this posiition and only one has gone so far which is what has made it difficult to decide which one to go for but i have decided to go for the 'invincible' keeper of the premier league.

He was a member of Arsenal's Invincibles, playing every match of their famous unbeaten title winning season. He also holds the UEFA Champions League record for the most consecutive clean sheets, having not conceded a goal in 10 matches whilst at Arsenal.

He was voted UEFA Club Goalkeeper of the Year for the 1996–97 (whilst at Schalke 04) and 2005–06 (and more importantly for this draft whilst at Arsenal) seasons, and he has been selected for three World Cup squads.

His honours include:
Club

Schalke
UEFA Cup: 1996–97

A.C. Milan
Serie A: 1998–99

Borussia Dortmund
Bundesliga: 2001–02
UEFA Cup Runner-up: 2001–02

Arsenal
Premier League: 2003–04
FA Cup: 2004–05