Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Premier League 2

Crap idea leave things how they are.

HOWEVER, I wonder if some of remarks on here would be retracted if Brighton got to the top flight?

I would hope not. I know I certainly wouldn't. You only have to look at some of the opinions of Premiership supporters on here like bushy and Paxton Dazo to realise that not all of them are completely self-obsessed and want to do what's best for them and bollocks to the wider footballing community. Unfortunately that generally doesn't include chairman and chief executives of these clubs!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Crap idea leave things how they are.

HOWEVER, I wonder if some of remarks on here would be retracted if Brighton got to the top flight?

It's a very fair point that you're making there. I don't demand that Brighton are in the Championship, or Prem Lg 2, or whatever it's called. But I do want the chance to get there, and very clearly if the promotions from League One might be cut from three to one, that is going to have a huge effect.

So it is a natural reaction, given what might be coming, to want your team to get in there before the door all but closes.

I think the pressure needs to be put on the Prem clubs who have been in the bottom division recently, like Fulham and Wigan. If they knew they were going to branded as disgraceful hypocrites across the whole country, it might make them think twice.

And if the Prem lg clubs are prepared to distribute money a bit more evenly over two divisions, why not just do it now anyway over four and leave things as they are?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I would hope not. I know I certainly wouldn't. You only have to look at some of the opinions of Premiership supporters on here like bushy and Paxton Dazo to realise that not all of them are completely self-obsessed and want to do what's best for them and bollocks to the wider footballing community. Unfortunately that generally doesn't include chairman and chief executives of these clubs!

The problem is that the large number of Chairman are not English so have no idea about the History of the League etc.

I support Spurs but still think this is a dire idea, if there was no promotion and relegation into the league it would be shit, Even if it is hard to stay in the top flight for promoted teams i doubt you would find many WBA, Hull or stoke fans trading one season in the top flight for another season in the championship.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
And if the Prem lg clubs are prepared to distribute money a bit more evenly over two divisions, why not just do it now anyway over four and leave things as they are?

I guess they are assuming they would be able get more for the rebranding, new clubs and scottish clubs.

Lets face it if SKY wont play ball plenty will

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rangers and Celtic wouldn't take too long to sort themselves out and really challenge for a Top 4 spot, and it is perfectly conceivable that they would leapfrog the 2nd tier - Spurs, Everton, Villa and Man City - and even pick off a top 4 straggler like Arsenal.

Sure, they look pretty ordinary now but a year or two of Premiership income and they'll be in a good place.

That said, something has to be done to try and bridge the gap between Premiership sides and the rest. Scottish football is dying on it's feet.

One of the big factors is whether Old Firm fans would be willing to play in the Championship and, if relegated, go back to the SPL. But there are all sorts of problems with the promotion / relegation issues from Prem 2, i.e. would the SPL champions play-off with 3rd-5th in League 1 and, if so, would this be fair if they had UEFA football to boost their coffers?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
They would apparently need 14 out of 20 votes to get the change brought in and as it would mean the current Premier League teams losing money it is only of benefit to teams threatened with relegation.

I can't see the Premier League going against the big four to bring it in.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Stupid idea, Never going to happen either. Closest you'd get is Celtic, Rangers in Premier league. Ala Cardiff/Swansea. But even that's very unlikely to happen.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Stupid idea, Never going to happen either. Closest you'd get is Celtic, Rangers in Premier league. Ala Cardiff/Swansea. But even that's very unlikely to happen.

Wouldn't say never. Get 15 money mad chairman together in a room and things happen, few drinks and they start voting for stupid things got to remember as a whole these people really don't give two hoots about the rest of football look after number 1 and all that

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The richest clubs at the top of the Premier League will veto this plan as it means more money trickling down to the league below. With 36 clubs in PL and PL2 will it mean 3 clubs relegated from the Prem and only 1 promoted from the Championship to get an 18 team PL1 in the first season of operation ? As the bottom 8 clubs in the Championship will be relegated so that PL2 starts off with 18 teams will there be any promotion that year from League 1 ? League 1 and League 2 would have to be amalgamated and then regionalised for lower league clubs to survive making promotion into PL2 even more difficult as a North v South play off final will be necessary.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
If it did happen and I doubt it would you would see a gradual change to get the numbers right, the same as happened with the PL when it started. E.g. 2 up 3 down for a couple of seasons to PL1 and 6 down 2 up for PL2. I would see League one becoming the new championship with the 2 divisions underneath being regionalised with 22 teams in each of the 3 divisions, with 4 down from what is now League 1 and 2 each up from what would be league 2 north and south and 1 down from each to conference. I think this would need 10 promotions from the conference to bring the numbers back up as you would end up with a league of 5 divisions and 102 teams.

It could be good for the bigger non league teams but dire for the rest of football

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Well your a FUNNY GUY Darrrrrrrrrren.

And I dont support Chelsea :ascarf:
I didn't have any respect for you anyway. :lolol::lolol:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:.

respect.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't understand why the lower but established Prem clubs are for this idea (the likes of Fulham and, er Bolton).

There will be two fewer places for them (four, when Rangers and Celtic get promoted) and while they will get more money in Prem 2, than they'd get in the Championship, would they want to miss out on all the glory and money of being in Prem proper? I could see why the yo-yo teams might be all for it, but can't see why anyone else would be.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm going to break ranks here a bit and say I'm not TOTALLY opposed to the idea of a two-tier Prem. I accept it's been proposed for the wrong reasons (greed) and may well be voted out for the wrong reasons (greed) but however misguided it is at least an attempt to try and redress the gulf between the Big Four and the rest and to distribute Premier League cash over a few more clubs.

If it did happen my sole concern would be making sure that there is still promotion/relegation between Prem 2 and the remnants of the Football League; say two promotion/relegation places. As has been stated little clubs like us HAVE to be allowed to dream that one day, even if it's only for a season, we could be playing Man U, Liverpool, etc. What's the point of playing otherwise? Certainly what's the point of building Falmer?

I'm also not totally opposed to the idea of Rangers and Celtic in the Prem. They may well not be that strong now in relation to the Big Four, but given access to Prem cash I think any procedural issues about what would happen if they were in danger of dropping out of Prem 2 would just be theoretical. However I certainly won't shed any tears if they're not involved.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
This idea has been mooted about for years-to show how long ago Swindon were first involved in the second tier idea , as already stated its all about greed. Unfortunatly money seems to talk more and more in this game we love, would hate to see this happen as should any rightminded football fan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here