Votes: 401 61.1%
  • Fence

Votes: 137 20.9%

• Total voters

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Fence!
Up side, Most of the players know him and should find it easy to adapt. He knows the club and still lives in the area.
Down side. For me personally was his snide comments about "if he wanted an easy life he would have stayed at Brighton" and the "History lesson"

I guess it is if TB thinks this would be a good move, then I trust his judgment. But I would not feel comfortable clapping his return.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Across his whole time with us, or just at the start of 22/23 season? It CANNOT be the former, Shirley?
Looks like just the last seven games!

1716554763856.png

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Across his whole time with us, or just at the start of 22/23 season? It CANNOT be the former, Shirley?

I got the Potter stats from here.

it says he averaged 2 goals game, but when he left we were averaging 1.83, so I think it must be across his whole time here.

Edit: or maybe not. see post #23

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A covid era blast from the past that you hoped you'd never see on NSC again...its the Potter in/out poll.
What do you mean, a blast from the Covid era that we hoped never to wee on NSC again? It's a blast from earlier this week that we never needed to see! Will suggest a merger (and give a thumbs up to anyone requesting a merger, then use the ignore thread function.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've merged at least three Potter threads. I've no idea what will happen to the poll on this one versus the poll on the new manager thread if I merge this but I will close it if it just drags up exactly the same arguments, meaning you can vote but not post.

McKenna isn't the only other candidate with his own threads, but the Potter ones were growing like Topsy and therefore simpler (and more necessary) to merge into one.

Any new ones will be deleted instead, unless we actually do reappoint him, in which case it would demand a specific thread.
Yes, merge away! Fill yer boots!

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
That makes more sense.

Averaging 2 goals for and 0.7 goals against across his whole tenure would suggest a title or two :lolol:
We didn't average scoring 2 a game but xG was quite close to 2 which shows we created lots of good chances.

I posted the below copy and paste as a reply on the McKenna thread but is far more relevant here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The link below has our "xG per 90" stats by season which overwhelmingly shows

a) the massive improvement in xG in Potter's time compared to Hughton
b) how poor our finishing was under Potter compared to how many good chances we created:
c) RDZ did then improve the xG further but at the expense of defence

17/18 : 1.08 (17th in the xG table, first season in the PL)
18/19 : 0.90 (20th, bottom, Hughton sacked)
19/20: 1.53 (8th, Potter's first season)
20/21: 1.63 (7th,)
21/22: 1.58 (7th)
22/23: 2 (3rd, Potter leaves after 6 games RDZ takes over)
23/24 (1.64, 6th)

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A bit of mischief.
Under Potter we scored an average of 2 goals per game. Under De Zerbi it was 1.89 in his first season and 1.44 the second.
When Potter left after 6 games in the 22/23 season we were 4th on 13 points. It took De Zerbi a further 11 games to record as many points.
Potter's points at the start of that season were the difference between Europe and a mid-table finish.
Under De Zerbi we conceded an average of 1.39 goals per game in his first season and 1.63 the second. Under Potter it was 0.7.

You’ve failed to mention the colossal never winning at home runs, with a dearth of goals (the unlucky, hit the woodwork, excuse) and heading for relegation until Covid saved us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We didn't average scoring 2 a game but xG was quite close to 2 which shows we created lots of good chances.

I posted the below copy and paste as a reply on the McKenna thread but is far more relevant here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The link below has our "xG per 90" stats by season which overwhelmingly shows

a) the massive improvement in xG in Potter's time compared to Hughton
b) how poor our finishing was under Potter compared to how many good chances we created:
c) RDZ did then improve the xG further but at the expense of defence

17/18 : 1.08 (17th in the xG table, first season in the PL)
18/19 : 0.90 (20th, bottom, Hughton sacked)
19/20: 1.53 (8th, Potter's first season)
20/21: 1.63 (7th,)
21/22: 1.58 (7th)
22/23: 2 (3rd, Potter leaves after 6 games RDZ takes over)
23/24 (1.64, 6th)

We (apologists) were roundly laughed at for being obsessed with xG. As we lost on repeat.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
You’ve failed to mention the colossal never winning at home runs, with a dearth of goals (the unlucky, hit the woodwork, excuse) and heading for relegation until Covid saved us.
Potter's bad runs were not as bad as the last few months of this season under RDZ where we were genuinely shocking in most games, even though we picked up a couple of scrappy wins.

Performances in the Potter bad runs were generally good and at least we created multiple chances to hit the woodwork etc.

Suppose it depends if you see the manager directly responsible for really bad finishing or not.

We (apologists) were roundly laughed at for being obsessed with xG. As we lost on repeat.
Not obsessed with it, just a useful way of showing we actually played well.

Bad results don't necessarily make a bad manager/team (e.g. Klopp losing 6 home PL games in a row).

TB knew this and as always it worked out for him by sticking with Potter.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Why is this even a thread? It's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Now, can I get back to hating Phil Spencer please?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I would be extremely surprised if Tony Bloom is the kind of fella who would give you a second chance to screw him over.

Never going to happen.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I've gone no but only because he'd have no chance, not because he's a bad manager. The moment we lost a couple he'd be under attack. IMO rightly so, only a fool invites a cheat back into their bedroom.
I'd be amazed if either party wanted it anyway.

FWIW I think he'll be the next England manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here