• Yes

Votes: 118 18.0%
  • No

Votes: 401 61.1%
  • Fence

Votes: 137 20.9%

• Total voters

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
We also had scored more goals than any other team in the Premier League after 4 games in the 23/24 Season - even without the MF Potter had - then in the middle of our first ever European campaign we lost Solly to injury - followed by a continuous revolving door of injuries.

When De Zerbi took over from Potter, we had a particularly tough run of games that included Liverpool, Tottenham, Man City and Chelsea. We also had a team under transition to a different system of football.

A system of football that in the first season had us one of the highest scoring teams in the League.

From Albion analytics

Under RDZ in 22/23:

“Albion recorded their most wins in a top-flight season (18), double as many as they managed in the first four Premier League campaigns (9 in each), notably having fewer draws than ever before (just 8, one fewer than in 2018-19), and accumulating 62 points — 11 more than last season, making Albion the sixth-biggest improvers in terms of points from the 2021-22 campaign.”

Anyone can quote stats. But interpreting them requires contextual thinking.

You've quoted me but omitted the first sentence.

Anyone can quote posts but interpreting them.....

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Happy to disagree. If Potter Is the best qualified candidate and you want a poorer one then that’s your call.
He isn’t IMHO
I am fully with you that love of family is the most important thing in life. Suspect Graham Potter does too, which is why he decided to quadruple his salary and secure his family’s future.
But the instant migration of almost all of the backroom staff and the decimation it caused has left a level of distrust and resentment that is almost impossible to heal.
I wonder how many posters on NSC would do different under similar circumstances?
We probably all would, but in all honesty none of us would ever be in that position. (If Liz Hurley ‘booty called‘ you tonight at midnight what would you do?) 😂

If it happens I, like thousands of others will just have to accept it, but it clearly puts him at a disadvantage before he’s even started. We will have to accept it but we certainly won’t be happy about it, and that will continue to fester unless the results come.

For the sake of the previously excellent relationship between the fans and the club, let’s hope Tony and PBOBE have a candidate, like RDZ was in 2022, who is totally unknown and left field 🤞

Last edited:

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
Was RDZ really better? With GP we were better defensively. We changed formations several times during each match. RDZ is a one trick pony.

Need to bear in mind it took 2 years for GP to transition the team from CH’s tactics. Once GP had his “own team” we played good football and scored lots of goals in the last 6 months he coached us.

It was easier for RDZ to transition from GP. When “one trick pony” RDZ was found out by other club’s analysts our results nosedived.

TB and PB are professionals. They realise players and club personnel will move on to massive Champions League Clubs if the opportunity arises. They said GP left on amicable terms.

For what it’s worth, GP was right when he said some fans need a history lesson. We are a medium size club with a 30k stadium. We don’t have a massive global fan base and we are not owned by mega rich owners.

I am glad we are owned by a fan who is not prone to hissy fits like some on this forum.
Evening Graham.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
"Mutual".

RDZ did in fact say that there wasn't any club which could tempt him away - BUT - he had to be happy.
Mutual in the sense that we were no longer that fussed about keeping him given his demands. He knew what he signed up for. If he'd been prepared to knuckle down, do you think the club would have wanted him out?

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Evening Graham.
😁
Evening Graham.
Wish I was on a multimillion pay off from Chelsea.

Let’s just stick to the facts. NSC speaks for all fans! North standers aren’t happy with thie atmosphere at the Amex. They lioved the away experience at Marseille, Amsterdam, Athens and Rome where supporters had multiple drums, podiums and megaphones. Not the NSC northstanders way is it!

TB and PB would be ill advised to take notice of the vitriol posted by ill informed hissy fit numptys posting on this forum.

Am happy to be cancelled. Will wear it as a badge of common sense!

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Strange response - because it makes absolutely no difference to my answer, it was just another pro-Potter stat you posted along with all the others I quoted from your post that you thought showed that Potter’s performances were better than De Zerbi’s. But if it makes you happier, I have inserted the Whole of your post into my quote.

As I said, any one can post a string of stats and interpret them in isolation from causative realities but it presents a false narrative.

RDZ’s first season was the best we had ever had and you conveniently missed out our goals scored stats under De Zerbi last season in your statistical analysis’ of their comparative qualities..

You are manipulating the stats to justify an opinion based on faulty reasoning that GP was a better coach than RDZ. Simply not true, RDZ took us further than we had been before as a Club. His first season was the best for the Club on record.

Its a shame we were not set up to cope with a European campaign, missed out on several recruiting opportunities and had a debilitating number of injuries otherwise RDZ’s second season may have been as good as his first if not better and he’d still be with us.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Why is McKenna at the top of your list?
He got Ipswich promoted with a bottom half championship squad. I then watched the FourFourTwo video on his tactics and quickly realised they were an upgrade on those of RDZ.

His sides piss about with the ball at the back causing the opposition to get out of their defensive formation but can break very quickly where as RDZ instructed our players to always ignore the quick break which I found very frustrating.

Finally, his personality reminds me of Potter. Calm, professional and ultra analytical.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Happy to disagree. If Potter Is the best qualified candidate and you want a poorer one then that’s your call.

I am fully with you that love of family is the most important thing in life. Suspect Graham Potter does too, which is why he decided to quadruple his salary and secure his family’s future.

I wonder how many posters on NSC would do different under similar circumstances?
Potter had no choice, his stock had risen rapidly and grabbed the opportunity.

Potter helped build a fine team for us and laid the ground for RDZ. We should seriously consider him

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I've gone no but only because he'd have no chance, not because he's a bad manager. The moment we lost a couple he'd be under attack. IMO rightly so, only a fool invites a cheat back into their bedroom.
I'd be amazed if either party wanted it anyway.

FWIW I think he'll be the next England manager.
You say he might be the next England manager, I heard a young man suggesting Southgate will be going straight to Brighton after the Euros! How would that go down?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Strange response - because it makes absolutely no difference to my answer, it was just another pro-Potter stat you posted along with all the others I quoted from your post that you thought showed that Potter’s performances were better than De Zerbi’s. But if it makes you happier, I have inserted the Whole of your post into my quote.

As I said, any one can post a string of stats and interpret them in isolation from causative realities but it presents a false narrative.

RDZ’s first season was the best we had ever had and you conveniently missed out our goals scored stats under De Zerbi last season in your statistical analysis’ of their comparative qualities..

You are manipulating the stats to justify an opinion based on faulty reasoning that GP was a better coach than RDZ. Simply not true, RDZ took us further than we had been before as a Club. His first season was the best for the Club on record.

Its a shame we were not set up to cope with a European campaign, missed out on several recruiting opportunities and had a debilitating number of injuries otherwise RDZ’s second season may have been as good as his first if not better and he’d still be with us.

I thought the mischief comment made it clear I was on a wind up.

It seems I landed a whopper.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I thought the mischief comment made it clear I was on a wind up.

It seems I landed a whopper.
Ah the good old trusty face-saving trope when someone pokes a hole in your argument: “I was only joking”

If you say so 😂

Your stats were still selective and your reasoning faulty even if you were trying to be mischievous and bait an argument for the sake of it ( which I don’t believe)

Although why you got yourself in a twist because I didn’t quote your entire ‘joke’ when it didn’t make the blind bit of difference then remains a mystery 🙄

Perhaps this would be a good moment to mention with Southgate leaving after the Euros, there’s a good possibility Potter is not even interested in Brighton but holding out for the England job.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ah the good old trusty face-saving trope when someone pokes a hole in your argument: “I was only joking”

He didn't later add 'I was only joking', he started his post with it (ie, mischief comment):shrug:

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
We also had scored more goals than any other team in the Premier League after 4 games in the 23/24 Season - even without the MF Potter had - then in the middle of our first ever European campaign we lost Solly to injury - followed by a continuous revolving door of injuries.

When De Zerbi took over from Potter, we had a particularly tough run of games that included Liverpool, Tottenham, Man City and Chelsea. We also had a team under transition to a different system of football.

A system of football that in the first season had us one of the highest scoring teams in the League.

From Albion analytics

Under RDZ in 22/23:

“Albion recorded their most wins in a top-flight season (18), double as many as they managed in the first four Premier League campaigns (9 in each), notably having fewer draws than ever before (just 8, one fewer than in 2018-19), and accumulating 62 points — 11 more than last season, making Albion the sixth-biggest improvers in terms of points from the 2021-22 campaign.”

Anyone can quote stats. But interpreting them requires contextual thinking.
Yet you’ve quoted and attributed the whole of 22/23 to RDZ when Potter was responsible for 4 wins and 13 points of the total (in just 6 games played).

And you’ve just accused someone of “manipulating the stats”.

Anyone can quote stats, but ensuring they’re accurate and not misleading requires care and attention.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Yet you’ve quoted and attributed the whole of 22/23 to RDZ when Potter was responsible for 4 wins and 13 points of the total (in just 6 games played).

Anyone can quote stats, but ensuring they’re accurate and not misleading requires care and attention.
EDIT - Because you have now added to you comment since I replied:

So - Yes, to leave out our entire goal scoring stats under RDZ and just compare goals conceded IS manipulating the stats. Of coures we were conceding more - that was the nature of De Zerbi ball but we were also scoring far more in 22/23 with De Zerbi ball than we ever did under Potter. Our GD in 22/23 was in +double figures - higher than it has ever been. It is not ‘manipulation’ to fill in what was left out of the OP‘s ’analysis’ .

So what is your point? I have never said Potter wasn’t a good coach or denied his achievements but RDZ is better imo.

I don’t want Potter back period. I don’t think he is right for us now, we have moved on.

I also think it would be damaging to the Club’s relationship with a large proportion of the fan base to require they get behind a manager who fcuked off out of the blue after those 6 games for no reason other than more money - he is an opportunist who will do it again in a heartbeat if a larger club comes calling. He has made it quiet clear what he thought of us by the timing of his departure..

We were fortunate our succession policy worked and we got a progressive replacement.

Quoting stats does’t change a thing. Potter had every opportunity to get us into Europe - he was here for just over 3 years - RDZ did it in less than one season.

As I said above, this whole Potter in idea is ridiculous in my opinion - he is probably hoping to replace Southgate so we’d be second choice if he agreed to come back (and would be more suited to that job than he would to us anyway.)

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mutual in the sense that we were no longer that fussed about keeping him given his demands. He knew what he signed up for. If he'd been prepared to knuckle down, do you think the club would have wanted him out?
Quite.

He was sacked.

Like the man/woman whose exiting partner says 'it's me, not you' and a week later you realize, hang on, you've been dumped.

Happy to repeat the explanation till we appoint the next bloke :thumbsup:

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I’m 100% in the McKenna camp…. But

I’m slightly worried that he’s not as keen on us as we are on him, or he’s waiting for a better offer.

If that is the case then it leaves me a little concerned as I’m not sure there is a stand out candidate

This talk of TB and PB plucking another RDZ is a little far fetched, let’s remember at one stage they felt Hypia was a sensible appointment.

Might not be a popular opinion but I’d take Potter ahead of a lot of names being linked currently.

And for those with short memories, I remember a very similar situation when a certain Mr Murray returned to the club after leaving for our fiercest rivals. That return didn’t work out too bad did it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports