The post-Barnsley Barnes-haters thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jul 13, 2012
Dont rate/didnt rate Ashley Barnes and have always been a big critic of his but today was the first time I clapped him off. He played very well today and if he can keep it up then he'll be a joy to watch.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
It's keeping it on-topic, ish, by mentioning that CMS owed a LOT to Barnes today. Both of them were possibly going in anyway but if it gives CMS some confidence to kick on then I'm sure Ashley will settle for 2 goals instead of the 4.

Are you saying that McSmudger robbed Ashley of the 1st hat trick at the falmer:D

MP2011

Jan 25, 2011
I have been watching professional and semi-pro football at different levels for over 40 years. What Ashley Barnes contributes to the current (excellent) Albion team puts him in the top 20 or so players I have ever seen out of however many thousands I must have watched in terms of team contribution. Just my opinion of course, but a team player like very very few others. As a manager he'd be first on my teamsheet every week as quite rightly he seems to be for Gus. No idea how many miles he ran today oh and he scored some goals too. Absolutely blinding performance for the team, top quality footballer.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are you saying that McSmudger robbed Ashley of the 1st hat trick at the falmer:D

The first one CMS knew nothing about at all - he might have been trying to get out of the way as much as anything.

I'll give him more credit for the second, and he's there to put the ball in the net after all.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Has the complete todger been banned?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What really helped him today was that Bridge was able to fill the left winger spot most of the game as Barnsley offered no threat down that side. This released Barnes to play a more fluid role allowing him to get in the central areas and hey presto the rest is history.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have been watching professional and semi-pro football at different levels for over 40 years. What Ashley Barnes contributes to the current (excellent) Albion team puts him in the top 20 or so players I have ever seen out of however many thousands I must have watched in terms of team contribution. Just my opinion of course, but a team player like very very few others. As a manager he'd be first on my teamsheet every week as quite rightly he seems to be for Gus. No idea how many miles he ran today oh and he scored some goals too. Absolutely blinding performance for the team, top quality footballer.

You may not have many posts but if the other three are as good as this one, you should post more often.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Funny thing is reading this and the match ratings thread, as much as people quote "Barnes haters" its clear there are so many blinkered views who can see no wrong in Ashley by saying he scored 4 goals! He didn't, he got 2. The other two was a shot and a header that were going wide. But hey, lets not see what really happened, lets see what we want to see.

The first was one of the easiest goals he'll ever score thanks to Gonzo, but the fifth was a superb finish.

And before you think I'm being negative towards him, I'm no, I'm just saying it like I saw it. Goal one - Lucky. Assist one - mis hit shot going wide. Assist two - diving header going wide. Goal two - brilliant finish Wayne Rooney would have been proud of.

And saying it as I saw it, I thought it was a toss up between Noone and Barnes for man of the match, probably edged by Barnes for this second goal. Even taking away the goals and assists, I thought Barnes had one of the best , if not the best game I have seen him play for us. Only one blot, picking up a silly yellow card, but if he puts a performance like that in, who cares about a silly booking!

If he can keep that level of performance up, I agree he will be a legend, but lets not get carried away. He's been below average in the first three games this season, but I truely hope this is a kick start to his and our season, but I'm not getting carried away just yet, because I thought we were better on Tuesday despite drawing a blank, and if that is how Barnsley are going to be this season, then Palace have got a lot of competetion for the wooden spoon this year.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
Funny thing is reading this and the match ratings thread, as much as people quote "Barnes haters" its clear there are so many blinkered views who can see no wrong in Ashley by saying he scored 4 goals! He didn't, he got 2. The other two was a shot and a header that were going wide. But hey, lets not see what really happened, lets see what we want to see.

The first was one of the easiest goals he'll ever score thanks to Gonzo, but the fifth was a superb finish.

And before you think I'm being negative towards him, I'm no, I'm t just saying it like I saw it. Goal one - Lucky. Assist one - mis hit shot going wide. Assist two - diving header going wide. Goal two - brilliant finish Wayne Rooney would have been proud of.

And saying it as I saw it, I thought it was a toss up between Noone and Barnes for man of the match, probably edged by Barnes for this second goal. Even taking away the goals and assists, I thought Barnes had one of the best , if not the best game I have seen him play for us. Only one blot, picking up a silly yellow card, but if he puts a performance like that in, who cares about a silly booking!

If he can keep that level of performance up, I agree he will be a legend, but lets not get carried away. He's been below average in the first three games this season, but I truely hope this is a kick start to his and our season, but I'm not getting carried away just yet, because I thought we were better on Tuesday despite drawing a blank, and if that is how Barnsley are going to be this season, then Palace have got a lot of competetion for the wooden spoon this year.

Don't like most of your posts, but this one I tend to agree with. Just calling stuff as I see it.

After that performance. only an idiot would knock him, don't you think GingerBeerMan ?

If you'd like to quote me where I have knocked his performance today, give it a try.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think his first goal was lucky, as much as it was good positioning, quick reaction, and decent technique, considering his back was to the goal. CMS's first was lucky, vstanding in the way of someone else's shot and it deflecting in.

When I saw them, I thought both shots CMS stole(!) were heading in, kinda, I thought the second (the header) was probably too soft, and would have been saved, but was on target, thought the first was on target, will watch again on football league show.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Dont rate/didnt rate Ashley Barnes and have always been a big critic of his but today was the first time I clapped him off. He played very well today and if he can keep it up then he'll be a joy to watch.

You are aware that even without his 2 goals he played very, very well today yes?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I've moaned a fair bit in the past about Barnes. Today he had a great game, fair play to him. He needs to do it week in week out though, that's always my gripe - too hot and cold
Then please sir...show me a player who is superb EVERY match...who never is off form who is great every game. Ash works so hard in attack/defence/build up...yes he does miss the odd sitter or chance,he may not be super fast or the most skilful but you cannot fault his heart.

Great game today but I do wish he would cut out the rash challenges - particularly when he lose the ball. Tried a ridiculously high tackle and fortunately missed the Barnsley player and then got booked five minutes later for another late tackle. He plays very well and then gets frustrated over one incident which will undermine the team if he gets sent off -and it wouldn't be the first time. I suspect this is one of the reasons Gus substituted him rather than risk a second yellow and a suspension.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

And before you think I'm being negative towards him, I'm no, I'm just saying it like I saw it. Goal one - Lucky. Assist one - mis hit shot going wide. Assist two - diving header going wide. Goal two - brilliant finish Wayne Rooney would have been proud of.

Spot on. :clap:

Minge

Jan 3, 2005
Then please sir...show me a player who is superb EVERY match.

Messi is superb practically every match, and Barnes is no Messi, so thread closed. He's a league two striker at best, who scored 20 tap ins in the season we were promoted that David Blunkett wouldn't have missed, was our leading scorer last season but they were all penalties or goalkeeping errors, his 9 minute hat trick per season was against a non league team so doesn't count, ditto against Chelsea as Drogba wasn't playing so it wasn't a full strength team. You can't take Barnsley seriously either because they have only spent 74 seasons in this division. Everyone is conveniently ignoring the chance he missed against Cardiff that proved I am right and he is shit. Barnes worshippers open your eyes and smell the coffee, I am right and always is.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We have a thread every time he is poor or ordinary and now a thread when he plays well.
I think we've covered it.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Ashley Barnes is a raw talent who is slowly but surely becoming a very good footballer.

I think he's brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports