Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Pop Culture Divide

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My 12 & 9 year old daughters love the Young Ones - the comedy not the tune. I have raised them on a diet of 70s & 80s culture - 2 Tone, Punk, The Jam, Subbuteo and Harringtons. My eldest is proud to wear Peter Ward's number 8 in her team. The wife is a little concerned as to whether this acquired knowledge will serve them well in the future.

Ah, my daughter says she likes all the shite I play and watch, I think it has more to do with daughters unconditional love for their fathers...
But like you, I am kidding myself it's choice, and lapping it up while it lasts, at least until that dreaded knock on the door & "Hello Mr Freakout, I am Simeon and I am here for my date with Miss Freakout"

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooo.....
:lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Reiterated again this morning in the office when the youngest member of the firm at 25 had no idea Crackerjack was a TV programme let alone what a Crackerjack pencil was, and this is hot on the heels of a hearse ride back from the Crematorium the other week were two of the four people in the car didn't know who Shakin Stevens was.

I truly am getting old.

Bizarrely, I am (was?) aware of 2 Shakin' Stevens (important to remember the ') covers bands, I give you....

Fakin' Stevens

Stationary Stevens

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
My 12 & 9 year old daughters love the Young Ones - the comedy not the tune. I have raised them on a diet of 70s & 80s culture - 2 Tone, Punk, The Jam, Subbuteo and Harringtons. My eldest is proud to wear Peter Ward's number 8 in her team. The wife is a little concerned as to whether this acquired knowledge will serve them well in the future.

There should be one week every year when the kids of the UK should put FIFA down for 7 days and at least try Subbuteo 👍

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And maybe I'm missing something, and apologies if I am, but on what planet is it appropriate to be be discussing the merits of Shakin' Stevens in a hearse on the way back from the crematorium? :lolol:

I agree although - paradoxically - it is entirely appropriate in the morgue when applying "Lipstick, Powder and Paint" to the corpse.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, when you were 25 how conscious were you of the TV which was on 10 years before you were born?

Very few people had tele ten years before I was born. Even when I was a kid it was a treat to watch tele at someone else's house. We finally got a tele when I was about 13.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
You'll know you're getting old when they tell you their parents havent heard of Crackerjack neither.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There should be one week every year when the kids of the UK should put FIFA down for 7 days and at least try Subbuteo 👍

I'm on a Subbuteo enthusiasts group in Facebook. In my 50s, I'm one of the younger members.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My son is nearly 35. He thinks my 80s stuff is OK (Comsats, Chameleons, Killing Joke). He thinks my noughties darkwave stuff (VNV Nation, Rotorsand, Icon of Coil) is shite. He thinks my current interest in trap, witch house and retrowave is good (The Midnight, FM84, Øfdream). What goes around sometimes comes around. No point getting all wistful or snooty about it. :shrug:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
My 20 year old son only really knows about Subbuteo from when [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] had a table upstairs in his shop all those years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here