Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Plonker who missed the match.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
As we left the stadium and walked over the bridge with hundreds of other people towards the trains , a rather bewildered looking young chap who was walking in the opposite direction towards the stadium asked a steward 'it is a 3 o'clock kick off isn't it? '. After getting the bad news, he then shouted to his mate and the two girls they were with......hey!!!! We've missed the bloody game. We had to laugh.

I did this last season :mad:

Went to leave home & looked at sky sports & it was half time.

I used seagull travel to go shopping in town instead

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Some years ago, when we still at the Goldstone, my workmate and I travelled to loads of away games. One saturday we were due to play Gillingham away and we arranged to meet a couple of friends at the Priestfield ground before the match. They never showed.

On the monday when we caught up with them they told us they had apparently driven to Gillingham in Dorset because they looked it up in their Atlas and just picked the first Gillingham they saw. Apparently the villagers in Dorset were somewhat perplexed when two geezers wearing blue and white turned up at the local pub asking for directions to the ground!

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I'll raise you even more! If anyone remembers the dreadful Halifax (away) debacle of 2001. My daughter really fancied going to the game. So in my wisdom, I took one day's holiday (I had to work on Saturday) and because my motor was in a dodgy state I booked a hire car for the weekend.

It tonked it down on the Friday night and they played a Rugby League game that evening at the Shay. So come Saturday morning, at 8.00 am, checked Ceefax (remember that!) to find the Albion match was still on. Off we went and 200+ miles later arrived in deepest Halifax to find the rugby posts still in situ - and guess what!

That weekend cost me fortune and as someone has already mentioned, thank Gawd we've now got decent mobile phones and t'internet. :rolleyes:
Did that match 3 times that season. Cancelled twice i seem to remember. Third time the charm. We actually scored a goal and Halifax stayed up, just...

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
The game the previous season played in August was my first....irrelevant i know..but just saying
I checked it cos I had a very vague memory of the same. I remember it was definitely home to Torquay and recall someone at the station saying the match was off [it wash't], I did not move down to Sussex till Autumn 1969, so just wanted to check I was not going madder.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As we left the stadium and walked over the bridge with hundreds of other people towards the trains , a rather bewildered looking young chap who was walking in the opposite direction towards the stadium asked a steward 'it is a 3 o'clock kick off isn't it? '. After getting the bad news, he then shouted to his mate and the two girls they were with......hey!!!! We've missed the bloody game. We had to laugh.

I hope he informed Mr Barber he wasn't there so the attendance figures could be adjusted

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think i must have been really early for the Huddersfield game a couple of weeks ago, because it seemed to go n for ****ing hours and hours :rolleyes:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'll raise you even more! If anyone remembers the dreadful Halifax (away) debacle of 2001. My daughter really fancied going to the game. So in my wisdom, I took one day's holiday (I had to work on Saturday) and because my motor was in a dodgy state I booked a hire car for the weekend.

It tonked it down on the Friday night and they played a Rugby League game that evening at the Shay. So come Saturday morning, at 8.00 am, checked Ceefax (remember that!) to find the Albion match was still on. Off we went and 200+ miles later arrived in deepest Halifax to find the rugby posts still in situ - and guess what!

That weekend cost me fortune and as someone has already mentioned, thank Gawd we've now got decent mobile phones and t'internet. :rolleyes:

I was going to attend that match, but heard of the cancellation as I set out. I know a few, like yourself, we're less fortunate.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I was minding my business on a family day out at Leeds Castle 9 years ago when in the queue these Japanese guys were asking where the football ground was... it appears that they were supposed to be seeing the Leeds United (Champions of Europe) against Cardiff... and were non too happy when told they were approximately 300 miles away!!

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
In the 70ties last but one game was against QPR, went with my mate, did not know where the ground was, and at Chiswick got behind a car with a QPR sticker so decided to follow it, after a while I said to mate don't think this is the right way, the car stopped and the driver got out and said are r you following me for any reason, when we told him why, he said he wasn't going to the game.
But he said follow him and he will take us there.
We were already relegated then and they promoted , think we lost one nil !!!

el punal

In the 70ties last but one game was against QPR, went with my mate, did not know where the ground was, and at Chiswick got behind a car with a QPR sticker so decided to follow it, after a while I said to mate don't think this is the right way, the car stopped and the driver got out and said are r you following me for any reason, when we told him why, he said he wasn't going to the game.
But he said follow him and he will take us there.
We were already relegated then and they promoted , think we lost one nil !!!
I was at that match and you're right we were relegated and QPR were promoted with Burnley. We in fact lost 2-0 and played in yellow. We were awful that season and I think we lost 13!! games on the bounce.

The other interesting point to note about that season - the Albion played at Fulham and lost 5-1, a certain Alan Mullery was playing for Fulham and smacked one of his own team mates for not trying. Mike Bamber, who later became the Albion chairman, was so impressed with Mullery's desire and will to win that he appointed Mullers as manager three years later because of that incident!

Every cloud has a silver lining eh!

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Some years ago, when we still at the Goldstone, my workmate and I travelled to loads of away games. One saturday we were due to play Gillingham away and we arranged to meet a couple of friends at the Priestfield ground before the match. They never showed.

On the monday when we caught up with them they told us they had apparently driven to Gillingham in Dorset because they looked it up in their Atlas and just picked the first Gillingham they saw. Apparently the villagers in Dorset were somewhat perplexed when two geezers wearing blue and white turned up at the local pub asking for directions to the ground!
Tthat happened to a coach load of Blackburn fans in the 70's

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
One game back in the withdean days my mate and I turned up steaming drunk after consuming several cans of special brew. At half time my mate went to the toilets and never returned, I then received a call from my confused friend sometime later whilst the second half was being played. He was at the station awaiting a train back to Brighton and wondering where I was. In his boozed up state he had mistaken the half time whistle for full time!

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Tthat happened to a coach load of Blackburn fans in the 70's

That makes sense. Travel 5 times the distance to play a team in a town a 5th of the size, in a team 5 leagues below. it would not be so bad but they used to watch the Brighton home games at Gillingham,

spanishdave

Jul 30, 2013
Hove
Same thing happened to me, my friend text me after the Norwich game to tell me that he was sitting behind a couple of Brighton fans heading to the amex for an evening kickoff, he didn't enjoy being the one to tell them it started at 3pm and the result didn't go our way. Suppose the result wasn't too much of a shock to them. :ffsparr:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
That makes sense. Travel 5 times the distance to play a team in a town a 5th of the size, in a team 5 leagues below. it would not be so bad but they used to watch the Brighton home games at Gillingham,

He'd already stated that it was during the Goldstone days. Up to your usual standard of posts, eh Jimbob5.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
What about the 25,000 plonkers who turned up hoping for a convincing performance by the Albion?

Not me, I even was able to listen to Johnny C and Guy Butters on 5Live Sports Xtra from 12:10 onwards - a rare luxury from where I listen....... ( Obviously the BBC were covering it for the Watford interest but it was nice to listen to BBC Sussex, and not 'Three Counties' radio as they make us sound 'half' decent ).

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
What has my being a pervert got to do with you not being able to read comments properly?

If you read both posts again you'll see I did not actually say that Brighton had played their home games at Gillingham PRIOR to this incident. Even if I did, when has inadvertently missing a sentence been worse than British adults going all the way to Dorset and back because he thought Gillingham FC the professional club played there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here