Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The players should be ASHAMED of themselves.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I agree with you Acker, however the manager thought/thinks the players were good enough at the start of the season. So in my opinion its down to the manager.

:ascarf:

He thought they were based on what they achieved last season. They didn't perform as well as they can, which is the point of this thread.

He wasn't asking them to do anything different, he wanted them to do what they had done previously and they didn't. They seem unable to convert their good performances on the training ground to the football pitch, how can you fault him for that?

As for the defence, he didn't really have a lot of options, he picked his defenders based on the past performances of the individuals. Those that can live up to those performances were injured, leaving him with those that haven't.

At the start of the season we were all positive about the squad. We saw it as a strong squad. Were we all wrong, or are the players to not living up to their potential?

Mr Blunt

Apr 21, 2008
Brighton
He thought they were based on what they achieved last season. They didn't perform as well as they can, which is the point of this thread.

He wasn't asking them to do anything different, he wanted them to do what they had done previously and they didn't. They seem unable to convert their good performances on the training ground to the football pitch, how can you fault him for that?

As for the defence, he didn't really have a lot of options, he picked his defenders based on the past performances of the individuals. Those that can live up to those performances were injured, leaving him with those that haven't.

At the start of the season we were all positive about the squad. We saw it as a strong squad. Were we all wrong, or are the players to not living up to their potential?

I am not disagreeing with you, i totally agree that the players may not have been living up to there potential, but the buck stops with the manager, that's football. Its the same with all the managers who also don't get results they lose their jobs.

Also your point about seeing us having a strong squad, i honestly don't agree that we did. I saw the same problems as last year, especially at the back.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I dunno. Why would players NOT TRY? Surely it's in their own interest to be stars on the pitch (renewed contracts/better terms/winner bonuses/heck even an MOM bottle of champagne!)

It seems to me that some players were so desperate to do well, especially as there is competition for places in practically every position, that their heads weren't quite right on the pitch. So they either did something really stupid (see the sendings off, especially Hawkins) or stood there like rabbits caught in the headlights.

Aren't a whole load of kids today doing sports psychology at uni? What can they tell us?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I dunno. Why would players NOT TRY? Surely it's in their own interest to be stars on the pitch (renewed contracts/better terms/winner bonuses/heck even an MOM bottle of champagne!)

It seems to me that some players were so desperate to do well, especially as there is competition for places in practically every position, that their heads weren't quite right on the pitch. So they either did something really stupid (see the sendings off, especially Hawkins) or stood there like rabbits caught in the headlights.

Aren't a whole load of kids today doing sports psychology at uni? What can they tell us?

If it's a question of getting the players' minds right, then I hope we get someone like Coppell - he'll be immensely respected, plus he knows how to relate to players. He can also organise a team - look what he did last time round when he produced a solid team able to hold its own in the Championship out of a bunch of individuals woefully out of their depth. The fact that a manager of his quality is apparently available is an opportunity too good to miss.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Does annoy me when the players get away with blue murder but its a fact the managers will have to go.I do feel the likes of virgo need to be shipped out end of.???

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
i just hope the new man comes with the mentality of you f*ckers will not get me sacked play sh*t and you are out the team carry on playing sh*t and u are out the club full stop

Excellent point, and I too hope whoever it is, they say exactly that to them.

especially as there is competition for places in practically every position,

Maybe that was the problem, for some of them, let's suggest, Virgo, Kuipers, Cox, Elphick, Whing, Mcleod and Hawkins, throw in the two loanees from Forest, perhaps they thought they had a "shoe-in" to the squad every week, and didn't like/couldn't cope with the fact that there was competition, and from players who really wanted to get amongst it. Bennet, Hoyte, Crofts, Dicker, Dickenson etc. they all do seem to try as hard as they can, but with the half arsed efforts form some of those around them, it's hardly suprising we find ourselves where we are.

philmasonalbion

May 19, 2009
You lot are all rather laughable, not sure where your lack of football knowledge is stemming from but if you are really watching the games you'll notice that virgo is a solid player and without him you get shocking play like that on Sat (3-3). He came on and quite rightly stepped up to the job, not making any mistakes, keeping the back four tight. I think you need to start realising that the other defenders mistakes are to blame and the so called hoofing is as result of lack of support, movement and tactical skills by other players infront of them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You lot are all rather laughable, not sure where your lack of football knowledge is stemming from but if you are really watching the games you'll notice that virgo is a solid player and without him you get shocking play like that on Sat (3-3). He came on and quite rightly stepped up to the job, not making any mistakes, keeping the back four tight. I think you need to start realising that the other defenders mistakes are to blame and the so called hoofing is as result of lack of support, movement and tactical skills by other players infront of them.

I couldn't agree more, when he finally realised he can be dropped for being so dreadfull previously, which he has been, a lot, perhaps he finally realised he had to play to earn his place in future. I am sure he should stay with us, but he needs to come down from his high horse and play as part of the team and work with the other players, like, as you say, he did. He is experienced enough, and has played well for some good managers, just not that often this season for Slade.

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
Yes, the buck ultimately stops with the manager (and, apparently, his coaching staff).

However, I really hope some of the absolute pigheaded tossers in our team realise it's their fault that a good man who has just uprooted his family now faces unemployment, along with his two assistants.

The likes of Kuipers, Elphick, Murray and Cox amongst others should be ashamed of themselves. Slade hasn't told them to get sent off. Slade hasn't told them to be a shadow of their former selves. Slade didn't realise the two blokes he got in from Forest would put in half-arsed performances.

They've been total and utter shit this season (with the odd exception like Forster and Bennett), and it's their performances
that have cost decent people their jobs while they continue to earn thousands of pounds a week for being crap.

It's not on. Slade isn't blameless, and the league table suggests he was right to be given the chop. But I really, really, hope some of the players at least have the balls to apologise for ensuring three blokes have lost their jobs.

:nono:

Couldn't agree more.ive often wondered why it is always the manager's fault when the team. i personally believe it is usually the players' fault as it is not them to blame when elphick or virgo are giving strikers all the time in the world before even thinking of closing them down

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Virgo is playing out of position, that's why. Play him upfront, simple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here