Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The PL - what’s the point?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Is this really him, or is it a 'Spitting Image' puppet? ???

haaland.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder why nobody like them.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Another one for Dunk’s pocket

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The point? Depends on who you are.

Mainly perhaps it is a sports washing tool, not least for the UK. Similar to Real Madrid in Spain back in the Franco days, you can always hide that things are not going well through sweeping it under the rug while pointing to the fancy football.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Benjamin Mendy was a class investment

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Yet peps a genius, if one 100million signing doesn't work try another one.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What he takes home in a week would last me ten years.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It would be far more environmentally sound, and save on all the travelling costs, if the owners of all these clubs just got their wallets out at the start of the season to see who's bulges the most.

The football is almost secondary.

In Man City's case, they remind me of a certain Harry Enfield character :

https://youtu.be/U8Kum8OUTuk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60819647

…£400k a week.

A WEEK! And not the 1st to command such sums in their team. It’s grotesque, it really is.

Meanwhile, on the South Coast… :)
Agreed. It's not a game any more. I still follow the Albion - whatever division they might be in at any time - but that's pretty much the limit of my interest in modern top flight football these days.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Footballers seem to get singled out for this more than anyone else. Hollywood actors get paid crazy sums but it doesn’t seem to get the same attention. All the owners of Premier League clubs (including Tony Bloom) have earned more than footballers ever will. Why is the focus on footballers?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Footballers seem to get singled out for this more than anyone else. Hollywood actors get paid crazy sums but it doesn’t seem to get the same attention. All the owners of Premier League clubs (including Tony Bloom) have earned more than footballers ever will. Why is the focus on footballers?

Interesting question. Shortest answer is perhaps that it is easier to relate to footballers. We've all played football. But to be filthy rich(er) like any PL owner, you've had to **** people over for eternity and not too many people tried doing that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here