The pictures that prove we were robbed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Srixon

Sep 26, 2010
interesting why you are on here , i dont usually attack visiting fans, by the number of posts you are obviously a bit of a regular, with all respect why dont you fu*k off to specsavers :albion1:

Couldn't of put it better myself :clap2:

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
What did that Bournemouth player say to the linesman to make him decide to get involved in the way that he did?

Er, that it was a penalty, lino! oh right there you go then!!

Lino must have been the player`s brother!! Never seen that in 40 odd yrs of watching football. And sky didnt even notice it!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The thing that pisses me off is look at the position of the ref, he is looking straight at the incident and his initial reaction was to point for a free kick on the edge of the box. How on earth does the linesman have a better view?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm more interested in the second picture (we all know it was outside the box). The linesman's flag is DOWN. Why did he think raise it - after he was approached by the Bournemouth player??? Outrageous.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If the Ref thought it was a hand ball and then the Linesman said it wa sin teh box, which it clearly was, then why did the refereee not send Elphic off?

I don't understand when all the Prem and Championship games were off and this is a top of the table clash, then why did we get such a totally incompetant referee and linesman?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
If the Ref thought it was a hand ball and then the Linesman said it wa sin teh box, which it clearly was, then why did the refereee not send Elphic off?

I don't understand when all the Prem and Championship games were off and this is a top of the table clash, then why did we get such a totally incompetant referee and linesman?

Totaly agree, was saying this on the way home.

The linesman is in his second year at pro level. :facepalm:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
There are lots of strange things about this incident. Firstly, was it definitely Elf who handled? I was more or less level and it looked to me and most of the people around me like a red arm.

The referee then clearly gave the free-kick.

The linesman bizarrely hadn't raised his flag by this point at all (the pictures prove this). If the linesman saw a penalty, why didn't he raise his flag?

He only started waving his flag after being approached by a Bournemouth player (why?). Everyone around me seemed pleased when the ref went to speak to him as we assumed he would tell the referee that the handball was by Fletcher and give the decision the other way.

Instead he gives... a penalty!

The referee was nearer the incident, the lino wasn't even in line, so why didn't the referee stick with his original decision?

Don't think I've seen such a glaring display of incompetence from officials in a while - but was it just incompetence?

One thing that always gets overlooked is that fans pay a lot of money to watch football. The least we can expect is a fair interpretation of the rules. Incidents like this make a mockery of the game.

There should be some rule for officials about "bringing the game into disrepute" because that is exactly what they have done today.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
has anyone noticed the Bournemouth player putting the ball down outside the box for a free kick in the second picture?

That might have something to do with the initial decision which was a free kick.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It would appear the linesman got involved to "correct" the refs decision when he realised that the ref had given a free kick and not a pen. Fact is, the ref got it right first time by awarding a free kick (if it was indeed Elphicks hand), so to THEN be talked out of that decision by a linesman who was 40 yards away and not even in line is nothing short of a f***ing disgrace.

Officials have to be absolutely certain of an offence if they are to award a penalty. There is no way on gods green earth that that linesman could POSSIBLY have been certain that it was (a) Elphicks hand or (b) inside the box, so its really quite staggering incompetance on his behalf, and for that that gross misjudgement to then be compounded by the ref agreeing with him and changing the decision absolutely defied belief. NEITHER of them could possibly have been CERTAIN that it was a penalty. No way.

Those two clowns should be made to come out and EXPLAIN the process by which they arrived at a decision to award a penalty there. We've been utterly cheated, and deserve to hear their take on it.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
I expect the lino thought it was kin the area but couldn't see who had handled it. Once he knew the ref had given it against Brighton then he was able to give the pen.

I would like to hear an explanation and an apology though.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
It would appear the linesman got involved to "correct" the refs decision when he realised that the ref had given a free kick and not a pen. Fact is, the ref got it right first time by awarding a free kick (if it was indeed Elphicks hand), so to THEN be talked out of that decision by a linesman who was 40 yards away and not even in line is nothing short of a f***ing disgrace.

Officials have to be absolutely certain of an offence if they are to award a penalty. There is no way on gods green earth that that linesman could POSSIBLY have been certain that it was (a) Elphicks hand or (b) inside the box, so its really quite staggering incompetance on his behalf, and for that that gross misjudgement to then be compounded by the ref agreeing with him and changing the decision absolutely defied belief. NEITHER of them could possibly have been CERTAIN that it was a penalty. No way.

Those two clowns should be made to come out and EXPLAIN the process by which they arrived at a decision to award a penalty there. We've been utterly cheated, and deserve to hear their take on it.

Quite right.

To make a decision in the last throws of the game on something they surely could not be certain of is crazy. He managed to miss plenty of over eager play by B'mouth but was able to make out Elphick handled the ball when both players hands were practically together.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Isn't it time to bring in a charge of "bringing the game into disrepute" against referees and linesmen, to ensure that fans who pay huge amounts of money to watch matches can at least be sure that if the rules of the game are not applied correctly, the officials involved are banned?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
the ref (and linos) should have to come out and actually be accountable for their decisions. Not just today but at all times they seem to be able to get away with some shocking decisions.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
To be fair I have some sympathy with the referee for the penalty, I think the culprit is the linesman. The ref made the correct decision initially so there is no faulting him for that. He was then called over by the lino who obviously told him it was in the box. I suppose the ref has to trust him in his judgement so had to then give the penalty. It was an absolute disgrace of a decision and the lino should be relegated back to non-league football.

I'm not defending the ref for his performance overall, which was shocking, only that iscolated incident. Symes should have been sent off twice, and how he only played six minutes added in the first half, when Ankergren was down for at least that on his own, is a joke.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Spot on.
People can say its swings and roundabouts, but is it really, because i can't remember the last time we got a decision like that earning us a late winner/equaliser. Thats cost us 2 points, think how many times a team have missed out on play-offs/automatic promotion by two points or less, that could be the difference between going up or down. Presumptious or possibly a bit over the top, but theres no doubting 2 points could be the difference come early May.

Oh, and how the linesman can be 100% certain (which he has to be to overule a referee) is beyond me, well and truely. I've run the line and refereed at county level for Brighton Boys etc, and i referee weekly having played the game for a number of years, and as a referee i would have seriously questioned the linesmans judgement if that was me.
How could it possibly have taken him 10 seconds plus, no exaggeration, to signal for a penalty if he was 100% certain. If so, it should be an instant flag, no waiting to see who's interfering as with an offside, just an immediate flag.

Gutted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports