Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Picture of Alex Dawson standing one arm raised having just scored

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Few BHA players have ever made such a stunning debut. It was only 10-15 minutes into the game and he hit the shot with such ferocity that the ball crashed down from the underside of the crossbar, shot up and hit the underside again before finding its way into the net. The bar was still shaking when the players ran back to the centre-circle. I was on the East Terrace and fans spent the whole game talking about it.
It was similar to lopez's free-kick v Palace but further out and hit with much more power.

It was one of my favourite Goldstone moments. I think it was his home debut and in my memory (watching from the North) he beat a couple of players first before "thundering" it in off the bar. We thought we must have signed George Best. More observant people noticed his subsequent weight gain - but he never managed to live up to the standards of that first game.

Anyway - when our dog had a litter we kept two of the pups (don't ask what happened to the rest of the litter - it was the early 70's .......... ) I named one Alan Duffy and the other Alex Dawson. And when they went I used the names for two catfish I had.

I loved that team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here