Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The physicality of these europa teams

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
We have lost some physicality and I don't think Dahoud is going to make it any more than Alzate, our previous talented lightweight midfielder, but my word, Lamptey is one tough little blighter.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Last night my troupe were discussing how AEK and OM both seem far stronger than us, and at times just seem to brush us of the ball. Yet, we finished 6th in a league which is supposedly physical. What gives?
I don't think the Premier League is physical any more. Strange how the European and English roles have reversed on that score, judging by our opening two games. Refs here routinely accept the slightest contact as worthy of a foul if the player goes to ground. Everyone takes advantage of it, even the bigger players. Veltman is a master at getting his body between the ball and the attacker, then hitting the deck at the second he feels contact. He can also give it out when he needs to. We are a pretty lightweight team though so the more forgiving refereeing hasn't done us many favours.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I would say the match really turned at the start of the second half with two or three crunching tackles, (Veltman and Lamptey in particular). There players did not like them. The fact that neither were actually fouls seem to annoy them as well, and it disrupted their flow.
In the first half, we were crying out for some cheap, niggly fouls to disrupt their midfield
I said a couple of times on the match thread that Lamptey's tackle turned the game. The attitude changed with it - and the momentum. But I was just watching on telly - may have been the same in the ground?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Refs here routinely accept the slightest contact as worthy of a foul if the player goes to ground. Everyone takes advantage of it, even the bigger players. Veltman is a master at getting his body between the ball and the attacker, then hitting the deck at the second he feels contact
Marseille didnt even try and hide their shithousery after we cut into their 2 goal lead - being ‘physical‘ against a team who spent most of the latter second half on the deck ain’t required unless it’s to give them a hard physical kick in the arse for being cheating twats … and the ref too for letting them get away with it 😕

IMG_0670.jpeg

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Good thread. We are lightweight and that is a problem. As said, Baleba must get up to speed asap but I am sure the powers to be know this .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m waiting for our Mardmood to get going. He did play a lovely ball into Fati ( I think it was)
He has to effect us somewhere. ..

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Need to ditch RDZ and all these technically good players and get a modern day Tony Pullis in charge. No player under 6' selected and all built like front row forwards. That's the way to go.
Well its interesting that west ham have done so well in Europe. Maybe big thuggy teams do better?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I would say the match really turned at the start of the second half with two or three crunching tackles, (Veltman and Lamptey in particular). There players did not like them. The fact that neither were actually fouls seem to annoy them as well, and it disrupted their flow.
In the first half, we were crying out for some cheap, niggly fouls to disrupt their midfield
It seems strange using Lamptey and crunching tackles in the same sentence - he’s so “ickle”.
not complaining though. Maybe the best things come in small packages.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Absolutely agree with this thread. We said it at half time on Thursday night. We are getting bullied in Europe as we were at Villa. And it’s mostly on midfield where we previously relied so much on Mac Allister and Caceido. I’d have loved to have seen what we could have done n Europe with those two still in the team.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Need to ditch RDZ and all these technically good players and get a modern day Tony Pullis in charge. No player under 6' selected and all built like front row forwards. That's the way to go.
Seemed to work for AEK whose squad looked like a rugby team.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I agree with this. My point isn’t about pace though, more that the two European teams seem stronger than us across the park
Fair. I think pace is a big part of keeping posession in midfield though, it's not all about muscle.

Weirdly, only a few weeks ago Billy Gilmour bossed a big, quick and powerful Newcastle midfield

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair. I think pace is a big part of keeping posession in midfield though, it's not all about muscle.

Weirdly, only a few weeks ago Billy Gilmour bossed a big, quick and powerful Newcastle midfield
This is a good point actually. We all remember Vicente, I met him whilst he as at the Albion and was astonished at how small he was. I’m 5’10 and he was shorter than me and very slight….but you couldn’t get the ball off him.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I don’t just think it’s the Europa league. It’s a mindset problem. Too many times we are trying to pass the ball before the tackle is actually won meaning our player is off balance and then brushed off the ball. You see it every week.

We need to actually win the ball then look to pass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here