Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Pension Changes''

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
As an.Independent Financial Adviser, we have found that whilst a number of our clients have expressed an interest in releasing their pension funds, most people won't. When they realise how much tax they will pay, if funds are needed relinquishing other assets is usually more tax efficient. For those with no net relevant earnings, withdrawing funds up to the personal allowance is sensible. For those who are in poor health & want to enjoy their monies, rather than passing the funds on, there is a case.

What these new reforms do, is to give the policyholder empowerment as to do what they want with their pension funds. Even annuities are an option & appropriate for many, especially those who are risk averse & require a guaranteed income.

For those who do not need their pension funds, death benefits have been improved too.

The reforms are welcomed & without being political the opposition have no answer or plans to change the new legislation as far as I am aware.

Just had an advisor round who is going to have a look at all my pensions, some are FSP / guaranteed minimum figures, but the ones that arn't. he' looking to merge them, but fee's if i agree are 5% of the value of the pot, is that figure reasonable?

Just had an advisor round who is going to have a look at all my pensions, some are FSP / guaranteed minimum figures, but the ones that arn't. he' looking to merge them, but fee's if i agree are 5% of the value of the pot, is that figure reasonable?

Wow! That seems very high. I am not in a bidding war, however we only charge 1% subject to a minimum of £450.00
If we can help, PM me.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I may be being dense here but I don't understand which pension is it we can cash in ?

I have 2/3 pensions to come: a state pension and a BT pension which is split into 25 years of a final salary pension and (IIRC) a bit from 2009 onwards which is a "money purchase" thingy (dependant on overall contributions rather than salary). I also get a lump sum on retirement which I'm hoping will be in 5-6 years when I'm 58.

So which one can I sent to Mr Obasanjo of Lagos ?

doesn't apply to state pension or final salary schemes. Only applies to defined contribution schemes, ie one that builds up a pot that you can now: 1) buy an annuity; 2) cash in with 25% tax free or; 3) leave to grow until you want it.

Dont forget peeps that you can take 25% tax free and withdraw the balance in stages when you want it/to avoid tax.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

5% is way to high. Go for a fixed fee.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I may be being dense here but I don't understand which pension is it we can cash in ?

I have 2/3 pensions to come: a state pension and a BT pension which is split into 25 years of a final salary pension and (IIRC) a bit from 2009 onwards which is a "money purchase" thingy (dependant on overall contributions rather than salary). I also get a lump sum on retirement which I'm hoping will be in 5-6 years when I'm 58.

So which one can I sent to Mr Obasanjo of Lagos ?

The good news about your BT pension is the lump sum because it will be tax free. Mine pays out in 5 years time :clap:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Other than annuities, what are the options? Don't fancy the buy to let market at all.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

He's looking to rob you blind. You can certainly talk to an IFA. I opened a SIPP with Hargreaves Lansdown a number of years ago, rolled all my pensions into it and I manage it myself. It sounds like you would not want to take on that risk but a good (value) IFA would certainly point you in the right direction.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I run a IFA firm, if you would like some independent advice or guidance, please feel free to PM me.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Drawing down from your pension pot sounds like a good idea versus buying an annuity. However, it is risky. You just don't know how long it has to last.

I think that some will be scared of reducing the balance too quickly in case they run out. We could end up with people have good sized pension pots (over £200k) at age 68 who spend virtually none of it in the first few years. They would have been better of being fleeced for an annuity of £10k per year and spending it all each year.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Can I take my 25% tax free lump sum at age 55 and leave the rest to grow until I need it?

yes, yes, yes ......... if your provider is set up to do it - they should be but the Govt didnt give them much time to develop their systems

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
How can the average pension pot only be worth £35K?

I'm early forties and already have about 150K with at least 25 years still to work and contribute.

Are they not including final salary pensions in that figure or is it case of not using mean but mode or median average?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
How can the average pension pot only be worth £35K?

I'm early forties and already have about 150K with at least 25 years still to work and contribute.

Are they not including final salary pensions in that figure or is it case of not using mean but mode or median average?

some people who change their jobs frequently have a number of small pots

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here