[Albion] The penalty

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
So basically, in your world, EVERYTHING is a penalty if there is any form of contact in the box. Especially if they go down clutching their face.

OK. Glad we cleared that up.
No. It's not. But treading on someone's foot is classed as a careless challenge or possibly a trip. It's not just contact, it's contact that comes under one of the definitions of foul play.

In the same way, grabbing hold of someone's shirt is not necessarily a foul. It is only a foul if you prevent them from doing whatever they were trying to do (holding).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No. It's not. But treading on someone's foot is classed as a careless challenge or possibly a trip. It's not just contact, it's contact that comes under one of the definitions of foul play.

In the same way, grabbing hold of someone's shirt is not necessarily a foul. It is only a foul if you prevent them from doing whatever they were trying to do (holding).

I've seen this incident so many times now, and at no point does it look like a foul. Both players are looking at the ball sailing over their heads (neither of them was ever going to reach it), and while they're both looking to the sky, Keane inadvertently steps on Connolly's foot. Connolly makes the absolute most of it, milking the shit out of it on the offchance because he felt some contact - and he hit the jackpot. Another game another day that probably wouldn't even be looked at, or if it was, play would just have restarted with a goal kick and nobody would be complaining. It wouldn't even warrant a mention, it was barely an incident worthy of note. Instead though, possibly because VAR has been getting stick recently for not acting on pens, its inexplicably given.

Everyone I've spoken to who was at the game, both at the time and afterwards, was stunned at that decision being given. Stunned and astonished. People around me were laughing. Its only on here that I've seen floods of posts saying that VAR got it bang-on.

If that is the threshold now for awarding a penalty, then we are going to see a HELL of a lot of spot kicks. Except we won't, because as ever with VAR, the only rule it follows is total inconsistency.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Regardless - it was not a clear and obvious mistake so no idea why VAR is now refereeing the game. Almost like umpires call - should have stayed with refs decision.

And if they give that - the Montoya / Dunk incidents on the corner should have definitely given away a penalty.

So VAR is now completely unreliable

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
He stood on his foot. That's a foul, it was in the area, so a penalty.

The fuss is being made by ex-pros who are never the best at actually knowing the laws of the game, and just talk as if their own personal interpretation IS the law. It's not. That was a penalty.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I very much enjoyed the Holgate / Maupay verbals; there's not much sweeter than seeing a striker having knocked in a pen, veering towards a defender who has been giving him stick just to have a go back.

Well played both.

Oh, and by the letter of the law it was a pen. So that's that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He stood on his foot. That's a foul, it was in the area, so a penalty.

The fuss is being made by ex-pros who are never the best at actually knowing the laws of the game, and just talk as if their own personal interpretation IS the law. It's not. That was a penalty.

So you want VAR to referee every potential foul? Would you say on the edge of the box? Half way line?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Worth noting that last week the pundits and so called experts were moaning about penalties not being awarded by VAR and boom this weekend , things get more ridiculous.

Careful what you wish for . . . VAR are watching

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So you want VAR to referee every potential foul? Would you say on the edge of the box? Half way line?

How did you get that from my comment?

No, I don't.

But that doesn't change the fact that it was a foul, in the box, and therefore a penalty.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How did you get that from my comment?

No, I don't.

But that doesn't change the fact that it was a foul, in the box, and therefore a penalty.

Do you think it was a clear and obvious mistake from the referee not to give it?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Hang on, surely the ref hadn't seen the foul; what is standing on someone's foot whilst the ball is approaching and causing the player to fall to the ground if not a foul? Would you say that's just the way it is, in the same way a penalty is awarded for a tug of the shirt, a hand on the shoulder, neither of which, necessarily, cause a player to fall but they do against a 6' defender standing on your foot!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Do you think it was a clear and obvious mistake from the referee not to give it?

He clearly stood on his foot, and that's a foul.

But again, the use of VAR wasn't my comment. Was it a penalty was the question, and YES is my answer. I'll switch it around, are you saying that wasn't a foul?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Regardless - it was not a clear and obvious mistake so no idea why VAR is now refereeing the game. Almost like umpires call - should have stayed with refs decision.
Absolutely this. The worst thing about the implementation of VAR to the PL is that the referees - or whatever panel it was - that laid down the guidelines had a completed different (and frankly perverted) interpretation of 'clear and obvious' than the rest of the known world!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Absolutely this. The worst thing about the implementation of VAR to the PL is that the referees - or whatever panel it was - that laid down the guidelines had a completed different (and frankly perverted) interpretation of 'clear and obvious' than the rest of the known world!

I'd say the worst thing is how the "high bar" was dramatically reduced this weekend without anyone being told.

Before this weekend: 90 games - no VAR penalties.
This weekend: 10 games - 4 VAR penalties.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

In all seriousness, what's more clear and obvious than "Keane fouled Connelly in the penalty area and the ref missed it"? Is it a weak pen? Yes. Did Connelly make a meal of it? Yes. Would I be unhappy if it had not been given? Probably not. BUT, it was a foul and the ref clearly and obviously missed it.

I don't like these type of fouls as much as the next person, but (and this is often missed) the referee had been giving tiny, niggly fouls all afternoon for FAR less. Every time a player went near Richarlison (or any other Everton player for that matter) he won a foul when I couldn't really see much in it. I don't think they're fouls in my interpretation of a foul - But my interpretation of a foul is outdated now. If you give these fouls all over the park and not in the penalty area, then where's the consistency?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd say the worst thing is how the "high bar" was dramatically reduced this weekend without anyone being told.

They have announced that they didn't move the bar. So, that just proves that their view of 'didn't move' is based on the same warped version of English as their view of 'clear and obvious'.

Clearly (IMHO) football needs an equivalent of 'umpire's call' in cricket. The foul by Keane on Connolly simply was not clear and obvious - virtually nobody in the ground thought it was a foul, and I don't think the Brighton players even considered appealing for one (wasn't there, so that is just based on the commentary and highlights). Yes, I'm grateful for the three points, but to be honest I'd rather we hadn't been given that penalty.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In all seriousness, what's more clear and obvious than "Keane fouled Connelly in the penalty area and the ref missed it"?

It was so 'clear and obvious' that the entire home support in the stadium leaped to their feet and shouted "foul! Penalty!" and all the Brighton players put their hands up in the air and rushed exultantly to the ref to claim a penalty........

.........oh, wait a minute............

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Forget leaving a trailing leg in hope that the defender kicks it. That's been done to death.

The new trick will now be for players to master the art of getting their foot underneath a defenders foot and hope to be accidentally stepped on.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

Before this weekend: 90 games - no VAR penalties.
This weekend: 10 games - 4 VAR penalties.

I agree - does anybody else think it odd that MOTD2 didn't dwell on the Zaha penalty? I thought he saw a leg and dived over it (as he does), but we were not shown a decent replay. Not like when the Arsenal winner was chalked off, which got a very thorough review.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I think if that happened outside the box it would have been given as a foul. People saying Connelly went down looking for a pen, I'm not sure he did as having studs stamped on your foot is blooming painful. Would I have been cross if that had been given against us? Definitely!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports