[Albion] The penalty

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Limited tech this week, but just seen motd (low-fi)

A foul on Conolley, unintentionally, but impeded his progress, even though it was arguably going nowhere.

Maybe an indirect free kick would have been fairer. When was the last time one of those was given?!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Yep same here. Scottish guy?

Mine too and whoever he is, always winds me up. That said, having watched MotD, if the ref had seen the step on the foot and called pen straight away, I for one would have applauded him.

No trip in the area is ever on purpose, no handball, so that's not a defence. Of course he didn't mean to stand on his foot, but he did and it was a foul. Imo.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'm more than happy to be on the end of what I considered a fortunate VAR decision for the penalty today. But if that is given then there would have to be 10 or 15 penalties every game for defender's contact with opposing strikers which we see every week. There needs to be consistency with such subjective decisions that are not always black or white.

This is why I dislike VAR so much. Yes, it went in our favour today and loads of fans will rightly say these decisions will even themselves up over the season. I don't doubt that. But ultimately the same thing happened in previous seasons without VAR - you got some contentious decisions for you and some went against you, BUT last year those decisions were made instantaneously and the game moved on quickly (however aggrived we may have felt). Now we get the same contentious decisons for and against us, but it now takes roughly 2 minutes to come to a decision which is still often highly debatable. Is that really progress?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Black Arts

WTF was that all about?

Sneaky deliberate fouls by defenders feigning accidental innocence.

Another trick they do, is falling over in front of attackers, pretending it's an accidental slip.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Didn’t think it was a pen, accidental contact, neither had control of the ball, it’s a contact sport.

But accidental is immaterial.

I think it was soft, but on the other hand did you not think Keane by treading on Connolly, impeded him in terms of having an opportunity to bring the ball down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I worry when I see penalties given like that. Especially over turning a decision. Letter of the law or not, it's still taking the game in a direction I don't like.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Yep same here. Scottish guy?

Mine too and whoever he is, always winds me up. That said, having watched MotD, if the ref had seen the step on the foot and called pen straight away, I for one would have applauded him.

No trip in the area is ever on purpose, no handball, so that's not a defence. Of course he didn't mean to stand on his foot, but he did and it was a foul. Imo.

Andy Walker

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Another post that makes no sense.

We got a penalty that would have been missed without VAR.

Please don't make me have to raise the drink driving, speed limit and seatbelt laws again.....and how the rules and limits have been adjusted over the years in order that they slowly become more and more appropriate <sigh> :lolol:

It's not hard to figure out.

Yes I'm glad we benefitted from a call that would have undoubtedly not been made without VAR.

The issues with VAR are way beyond teething problems however, to the extent that I would gladly suffer the injustices to nip it in the bud right now.

Hope this clarifies it for you, I know it's the antithesis of your particular opinion on the matter which is something along the lines of an ever-refined VAR evolving like the dalek empire or some other nonsense.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A question I have is that, for subjective issues like the penalty, I thought VAR would only come into play when a clear and obvious error had been made. I think the language is literally that, clear and obvious. The foul on Connolly wasn’t clear or obvious error.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
A question I have is that, for subjective issues like the penalty, I thought VAR would only come into play when a clear and obvious error had been made. I think the language is literally that, clear and obvious. The foul on Connolly wasn’t clear or obvious error.

That's the problem. What constitutes 'clear and obvious' is an opinion. Whatever VAR is, it's still [inconsistent] opinions.

A bit like Brexit. We were told, or at least I was under the impression, that VAR would give more power to referees by quietly double-checking tight offsides, or handballs and fouls in the box that may have been missed. In reality, it's taking that power away and being a lot more disruptive than we could imagine.

I'm also thinking of the Bertrand foul last night. The ref saw it, as did the linesman, and neither did anything. Perhaps, if VAR wasn't in the equation, the ref would have yellowed him at the next break in play. Perhaps the ref felt he could let it go knowing that VAR would intervene eventually.

Relying on computers to get us out of trouble. If this isn't the lore of how Cyberdyne Systems came to be, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A joke of a decision, and frankly I cannot believe some of the blue-and-white specs views on this incident. Two players watching the ball drop out of the sky, yes there is some inadvertent contact when Keane treads on his boot. But Connolly milked the shit out of it (rolling around clutching his SHIN when Keane was nowhere near it), and bought a review. For that to have been deemed a "clear and obvious error" by the ref not to award a pen is absolutely astonishing. I would have utterly blown a GASKET if that had been given against us.

That decision went beyond soft. It was almost a "hey look, we WILL give pens on review guys" after the equally ridiculous decision NOT to award a pen when Veronghan took out that Watford player last weekend.

VAR as it is currently being implemented is simply not fit for purpose.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Football's dead. Absolute joke of a decision.

Not that I'm complaining about it tonight. But if this is the way football is going, it's complete shyte

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
VAR will stay - because TV love it.

We as fans have let it come to this , though. Passively tutting but still turning up and doing **** all as the game we love is ruined around us slowly but surely, first by the tv companies, then by clubs themselves charging obscene amounts per game, and now bollocks like ****ing var. We only have ourselves to blame as we as fans have bent over backwards and let it happen.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Nonsense. Utter nonsense. Show me one other situation in todays game comparable with our penalty. ONE.
You anti-VAR rhetoric is outdated and based on nonsense false facts.

Wtf are you on about? That penalty would never have been given in a million years without var, and rightly so. Embarassing that it was overturned and given as a penalty.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
i watch a lot of rugby and - as a fan - comparing rugby's VAR experience with football is like comparing hi-speed broadband with 1996 dial up using a modem.or Ultra HD TV with black and white. No replays, no miked up refs, no refs reviewing the screen on halfway. Piss poor really.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
But accidental is immaterial.

I think it was soft, but on the other hand did you not think Keane by treading on Connolly, impeded him in terms of having an opportunity to bring the ball down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impeded Connolly, taken off injured.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
One penalty is given for contact on a player inside the box by VAR versus a sport with a history of countless penalties being awarded where the player cheated and there was no contact.

I know which one I'd rather have to put up with going forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports