[Albion] The penalty

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
I'm sorry but there are a few more grey areas. Are you saying that ALL professionally trained referees and VAR referees would see the same way? ...In a game where players are constantly trying to fool them? They've really got to come a long way. It's impossible and really quite boring in the extreme.

And then there's the offside rule with miniscule decisions either way..if obvious then fair enough to overrule..but they've been overruling millimetres in their opinion.

And then there's the free kick Watford were disallowed handball v Us first game of season..ridiculous ��

Football now can't be compared with rugby..it's not an honest game. 20 years of VAR may help but I'm not confident
Agree on many parts. The handball rule is an absurd handball rule though, penalising attacker yet not defender for the same infringement which is crazy (but, not a VAR rule) . So let's keep that separate.

Offside is also problematic, looking at paused footage for a reason to disallow a goal when TV footage has susceptibility when the paused frame is not captured at the point of kick (it's failed several times this season when captured frames had missed the moment of kick).

Other than that, yeah, no different to other motion sports such as rugby.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
I'm sorry but there are a few more grey areas. Are you saying that ALL professionally trained referees and VAR referees would see the same way? ...In a game where players are constantly trying to fool them? They've really got to come a long way. It's impossible and really quite boring in the extreme.

And then there's the offside rule with miniscule decisions either way..if obvious then fair enough to overrule..but they've been overruling millimetres in their opinion.

And then there's the free kick Watford were disallowed handball v Us first game of season..ridiculous ��

Football now can't be compared with rugby..it's not an honest game. 20 years of VAR may help but I'm not confident
Agree on many parts. The handball rule is an absurd handball rule though, penalising attacker, yet not defender, for the same infringement, which is crazy (but, not a VAR rule, just a newly introduced handball rule penalising the attacker). So let's keep that separate.

Offside is problematic, looking at paused footage for a reason to disallow a goal when TV footage has susceptibility when the paused frame is not captured at the point of kick (it's failed several times this season when captured frames had missed the moment of kick).

Other than that, yeah, no different to other motion sports such as rugby.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Might as well not have a referee. Every decision should have a person maybe 50 miles away analysing in a room with 10 different view computer screens.

Well, if you think about it, that would be perfect. A system of cameras and AI that can interpret all movement and incidents in real-time that can make instantaneous decisions that can be transferred to a robot ref on pitch. No arguments, no back chat. Is it that fantastic considering what many believe AI can achieve?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Well, if you think about it, that would be perfect. A system of cameras and AI that can interpret all movement and incidents in real-time that can make instantaneous decisions that can be transferred to a robot ref on pitch. No arguments, no back chat. Is it that fantastic considering what many believe AI can achieve?

Well maybe If you like Chess for example. As others have said, the rare joy of seeing the ball bulge in the net for your team, and a quick look at the linesman to make sure, before celebrating is why we used to enjoy the game more so than today.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolute bullshit. If a player trips someone over by stepping on their foot it is OBVIOUSLY a foul. VAR worked perfectly today as it corrected a clear and obvious error.
If it had not been given the same people moaning about VAR would be moaning that referee missed the obvious penalty. Some people just like to moan.

Careless by Keane = pen. “Not deliberate” doesn’t come into the officials assessment.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Absolute bullshit. If a player trips someone over by stepping on their foot it is OBVIOUSLY a foul. VAR worked perfectly today as it corrected a clear and obvious error.
If it had not been given the same people moaning about VAR would be moaning that referee missed the obvious penalty. Some people just like to moan.

The only thing obvious to me from footage above was the defender watching ball in air, refraining from aggressively defending the position, the forward leaving his leg out in hope of getting a touch, jumping normally and then realising he had been touched, & falling to the floor..different strokes for different folks 😉

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
VAR used correctly today. It was a foul no question about it. If it was the other way around Lineker would be saying exactly what I have just said.
Accidentally my arse, does that mean all offside goals should be allowed, as I'm sure the forwards don't mean to be offside, the were just accidentally the wrong side of the defense.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Well maybe If you like Chess for example. As others have said, the rare joy of seeing the ball bulge in the net for your team, and a quick look at the linesman to make sure, before celebrating is why we used to enjoy the game more so than today.

Substitute robot ref for linesman above and that is pretty much what I am saying. I pass no judgment on the good or bad of it, but progress by definition never goes backwards. In living memory, players would prepare for a game with a couple of Woodbines and pie and chips followed by a ra ra from the manager. There was no scientific analysis of activity on field,no diet plans, no forensic analysis of opposition etc etc.

Sport has changed as the tools for improving performance have developed. Arguably, refereeing has developed less quickly. Cameras and AI offer a possible future.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Surely the point is virtually no one in the stadium thought it was a pen, no one appealed and the ref clearly didn't think so. Possibly by the letter of the law it is but it hardly rates as a clear and obvious error and if Chris Sodding Sutton thinks they got it right then that's all I need to take the opposite view.

To be perfectly honest, when Connolly went down, my immediate reaction was to think he does not go down that easily, and he is not that "divey". Was gratified when it was given........ evdn though I haven't seen any replays,

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The only thing obvious to me from footage above was the defender watching ball in air, refraining from aggressively defending the position, the forward leaving his leg out in hope of getting a touch, jumping normally and then realising he had been touched, & falling to the floor..different strokes for different folks ��

I could hear Connolly's scream of pain from the NS. I thought he had twisted his knee badly or something, I genuinely thought he was hurt badly

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I could hear Connolly's scream of pain from the NS. I thought he had twisted his knee badly or something, I genuinely thought he was hurt badly

Studs connecting with your ankle bone is pretty painful"

We've had penalties given against us for shirt pulling (Dunk at Turf Moor) so I'm not going to complain about an accidental foot stamp.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Yeah there aren't many but more than I thought there would be. I always thought I was the only Brighton fan in Austin.

Didn't realise we had an NSC poster in Austin. I was there the week before last on a business trip - could have met up for a pint.

Never seen so many food trucks in one city before!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Didn’t think it was a pen, accidental contact, neither had control of the ball, it’s a contact sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports