The passing game - should The Albion maintain this?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
This, totaly agree.

We are not Barcelona and until we have a squad that is as good as the best in the division we need to be a bit more savy.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
No, I want to watch us play like West ham did tonight.

Innit. What's so sad about that is that they have the likes of Collison, Noble, Nolan, O'Neil, Lansbury, and Taylor, all lovely, cultured players, and Fat Sam still insists on that crap.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Whole heartedly YES, we've gotta persist with it, I don't give a shit if this season is a complete write off. Give this side a seasons experience in the championship, learn what works and what doesn't, experience the lows that come with the mistakes that we are making and have a season of playing together as a unit and I'm convinced we'll b a top 6 team next season...

I'm happy to sit back and enjoy the ride :) :) :)
This. Well and truly this.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The passing game? - yes please. It's what the best teams play, like Spain and Barcelona. But the higher up we go, we will be faced by teams with better players, who do it better and faster than we do - and we'll come up against teams (think Stoke away last season) who are very good at counteracting that style.
We're not Barcelona, we haven't got Messi and co. - we need to carry on gradually improving the squad; of course it won't hapen overnight - our entire annual turnover is probably less than a Man City player's basic wages!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ah yes - the long ball tactic. Hoof-ball. Really worked for us when Ankergren hoofed at 3-2 against Leeds.

Having said that, occasionally it would be good to surprise the opposition...........the 'long ball' as played by Stevie Gerrard wouldn't go amiss occasionally..............

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Absolutely yes. But the midfield needs to be able to do it a higher tempo. If we could play the way we do with one or two touches, it'd be devastating. At the moment, maybe through a slight dip in confidence, I think we dwell on the ball a fraction too long when there's a break on giving opponents the chance to get bodies back. But that was a good performance - just lack a cutting edge. If we were a little bit more clinical, we wouldn't be in this difficult spell.

Yep.

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
99% Yes. Although it seems as though in most games we'll pass in a dangerous position and someone will mess it up. Maybe a 1% increase of not what I'd call hoofing it, but playing intellegantly and getting rid in dangerous positions.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Some of the passing football last night was a joy to watch, absolutely the right thing to continue doing. That said though there were times last night when the ball was going between the back 4 and midfield that you could see a pass was going to be underhit or intercepted and cost us, which it did. If we could cut out those mistakes then we will be absolutely fine. Also thought that we should shoot more, last night anything could have happened on that pitch but didn't seem to want to have a go from the edge of the box.

As an outsider, your tactics will lead you to win more than you lose. Although having a plan 'B' would make it a lot harder for the opposition to work out how to neutralise your strengths

Agreed, we'd test ...and succeed against clubs with worse defences than West Ham (which most of the division are). But your second point is most telling - we need to have an alternative or other strings to our bow during a match. One save from their keeper is illustrative of something being ineffectual when we are the home side with most possession and playing quite well on the night.

A comfort if any is to be found, is that West Ham will likely win the division this season, on that showing.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Personally I'd rather see more of Buckley for us..... and if anything happened to Noone we'll be sorry too.

You will see Buckley when he is fit.
But only from the comfort of your armchair it seems.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
The plan 'B' that people keep going on about should BE (hurhur) and knowing Gus probably will be;

Get better at what we are doing already : We will

Buy better players who are better at doing what we do : We will.

we'll BE fine

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
If I have a criticism of us it's that we are too predictable. West Ham came and did a job on us, closed down our midfield as soon as they received the ball and that lead to the goal. We certainly need to have a plan B and shouldn't be too proud to revert to a more direct game if nothing else is working. This is why I wanted us to sign a big, bustling striker in the Summer, at least to have a different option from the bench.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports