Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Opening Ceremony - Olympics 2012

How do you think it will go?

• Total voters

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Really great that was,fantastic effort from all involved.

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
Truly amazing!
I normally don't bother with opening ceremonies, but this was just incredible.

The whole idea of the famous athletes handing over the flame to the new, young future of British sport was a beautiful touch and the cauldron of 208 petals, one for each country was an inspiration.

BUT, why have "can't sing to save his life" Paul McCartney on at the end is beyond me; the man is an embarrassment - just like he was at the Jubilee concert...

Other than that, fan-bloody-tastic! :D

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sad to see Muhammad Ali looking so ill.

On the contrary, it was fantastic to see him there at all I thought. Truly brilliant gesture and even just by being there and taking the part the way that he did was inspiring. Without wanting to be corny, he truly IS the greatest.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
also thought it was a nice touch to have the torch guard of honour made up of the builders of the stadium :thumbsup:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
BUT, why have "can't sing to save his life" Paul McCartney on at the end is beyond me; the man is an embarrassment - just like he was at the Jubilee concert...

I'm at a loss as to why people haven't realised his voice has gone... shame, it was brilliant up to that point. Maybe the singalong bit might have sounded better if you were in the stadium, but they should have just ended it with the fireworks.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Industrial bit was great
NHS segment was a bit weird and didn't really work
Music celebration was nicely done - though wish Dizzee Rascal didn't turn up
Rowan Atkinson was a superb idea
Trevor Nelson is a boring bastard
Arctic Monkeys are the weirdest choice - not that popular at all anymore, shouldn't have been there. Why didn't they get Elbow since they wrote that BBC theme?

Anything that was more involved with Olympics rather than London was complete bollocks. Is there an institution with a more falsely heightened sense of self-importance. I love the idea of celebrating the host country, but the increasing levels of overblown nonsense about the importance of the Olympics became a complete farce - though the cauldron was amazing. Is it really going to be that important in a few days when it goes back to a few people riding horses round a park and the Chinese playing Ping Pong against each other?

Paul McCartney to finish was the worst idea ever.
Why was the Olympic president talking in French? I know the obvious answer, but it seemed a bit rude!#

So wish we had a World Cup, where at least the hyperbole is in some senses matched by the popularity and power for good of the sport. So all in all, a good job by Boyle and co., but mainly a tedious reaffirmation of what a lot of nonsense the whole Olympic thing is.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Industrial bit was great
NHS segment was a bit weird and didn't really work
Music celebration was nicely done - though wish Dizzee Rascal didn't turn up
Rowan Atkinson was a superb idea
Trevor Nelson is a boring bastard
Arctic Monkeys are the weirdest choice - not that popular at all anymore, shouldn't have been there. Why didn't they get Elbow since they wrote that BBC theme?

Anything that was more involved with Olympics rather than London was complete bollocks. Is there an institution with a more falsely heightened sense of self-importance. I love the idea of celebrating the host country, but the increasing levels of overblown nonsense about the importance of the Olympics became a complete farce - though the cauldron was amazing. Is it really going to be that important in a few days when it goes back to a few people riding horses round a park and the Chinese playing Ping Pong against each other?

Paul McCartney to finish was the worst idea ever.
Why was the Olympic president talking in French? I know the obvious answer, but it seemed a bit rude!#

So wish we had a World Cup, where at least the hyperbole is in some senses matched by the popularity and power for good of the sport. So all in all, a good job by Boyle and co., but mainly a tedious reaffirmation of what a lot of nonsense the whole Olympic thing is.

Dont watch it then...

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I thought it was fantastic but it amazes me why Paul McCartney always gets the last song.

Coz he's got a great last song - shame he can't sing it any more though.

Either the powers that be haven't noticed what the rest of us have or they forgive him because everyone joins in for a good old singalong.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Dont watch it then...

I won't, in general, but that's far from the point isn't it? Firstly, because everyone has, in a sense, paid for these Olympics, so by not watching it I would not be entirely disassociating myself with it in the way that I would be were it being held anywhere else.. And secondly, because it is possible to be a fan of a particular sport without buying into the presentation of the Olympics as a whole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here