Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The OFFICIAL what’s gone wrong with our season thread

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
To me our late potter years where is suddenly clicked had midfield option of Bissouma, Caicedo, Mwepu, MacAllister, Trossard, Gross and March. That midfield if it was together today with the rest of this squad would be in and around the top 6.
Even that summer at the start Gilmore came in Bissouma left there wasn’t a massive dip in quality.
RDZ arrrived - Mwepu retired unfortunately and wasn’t replaced so we lost a bit in CM. Trossard went but Mitoma was here and nothing changed there. However by the end of last season that CM was out on its feet. We finished 6th but we massively over achieved.

This summer - Caicedo goes and Macallister goes. We paid 23 million for a kid who played few minutes in France and a free transfer who has since left, Cowill left and he’s been replaced with Igor, we played more games at a higher level with inferior players. We made it work initially but once Europe kicked in we have been in decline in the league and something happened in January as the whole vibe changed.

To me we have basically taken the engine from the car and replaced it so far with a couple parts but it is yet to get the car running. This current squad is going to finish where is most likely should. Potentially it has a high ceiling but that is currently all it is potential.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think we have a pipeline of transfer options in various stages of progression. Contracts, release clauses, transfer fees, player availability for our targets all has to line up. For whatever combination of reasons, none of our targets were signed in January which left a squad in need of a boost very light.

I think our strong start to the season was due to motivation and desire from certain players to prove we can do it without Mac, Caicedo, Sanchez and Trossard. Many players were playing at a far higher individual level than they are now.

Our recruitment was underwhelming. Fati, Milner and Dahoud will be considered flops and didn’t come close to replacing Mac, Caicedo, Trossard and Undav.

Poor individual form from key players; Dunk, Estupinan, Fati, Ferguson, Adingra, Veltman.

Repeated and key injuries (not only to our best players, but to our most in-form players such as Hinshelwood) have hurt the quality of the team in every department.

In short, we aren’t as bad as our recent form suggests, nor are we as good as early season forms suggests. With a fit team with key players available consistently and a bit of confidence, we are a top half side.

If our transfer pipeline bursts in the summer and we recruit as well as we have in prior years, we can challenge for Europe once again next season.

All in all, fairly content given our European adventure (beating every side we faced, including football giants like Roma and Ajax), but disappointed with De Zerbi’s media conduct and strange pass-agg comments all the time.
I think this is a really clear and comprehensive post. Not entirely convinced by the last comment; I might be wrong on that though.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Simply a lack of goals. Not a single Brighton player scored in April With out only goal being a freak accident at Burnley.

Yes contributing factors but essentially, goals win games. And we haven’t scored any…

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
This is quite a thread.

What are the reasons for it, and its power to attract enthusiastic engagement, I wonder?

1. The massive inferiority complex and imposter syndrome that most fans of little old Brighton have has burst forth like a bout of acne.
2. Many of the rest, entitled and convinced we would be competing for Champions' League have been left aghast by the poor run, like most Chelsea fans have been aghast for the last two seasons at their unfulfilled entitlement.
3. And the remainder still don't understand the concept of 'it is what it is'.

And why have I posted this comment?
It's a mystery.
I was expecting a whole load of bed wetting knee jerk reactions or people wearing their blue and white tinted specs commenting on this this thread but to be fair, ithe replies have been well thought out and what appear to be genuine reasons as to what people’s thoughts are 👍

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I was expecting a whole load of bed wetting knee jerk reactions or people wearing their blue and white tinted specs commenting on this this thread but to be fair, ithe replies have been well thought out and what appear to be genuine reasons as to what people’s thoughts are 👍
Agreed, but that's in part because of the way you've asked for an explanation and not a soundbite, and certain posters are good at one of those but not the other.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
True. But.....so many reasons. So many, many reasons.

We must be truly terrible....flawed from crown to crack.

And all the fault of That Meryl. Meryl De Zerbi. :angry:

I just....can't....get that . . . . whatever it is. :shrug:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
To me our late potter years where is suddenly clicked had midfield option of Bissouma, Caicedo, Mwepu, MacAllister, Trossard, Gross and March. That midfield if it was together today with the rest of this squad would be in and around the top 6.
Even that summer at the start Gilmore came in Bissouma left there wasn’t a massive dip in quality.
RDZ arrrived - Mwepu retired unfortunately and wasn’t replaced so we lost a bit in CM. Trossard went but Mitoma was here and nothing changed there. However by the end of last season that CM was out on its feet. We finished 6th but we massively over achieved.

This summer - Caicedo goes and Macallister goes. We paid 23 million for a kid who played few minutes in France and a free transfer who has since left, Cowill left and he’s been replaced with Igor, we played more games at a higher level with inferior players. We made it work initially but once Europe kicked in we have been in decline in the league and something happened in January as the whole vibe changed.

To me we have basically taken the engine from the car and replaced it so far with a couple parts but it is yet to get the car running. This current squad is going to finish where is most likely should. Potentially it has a high ceiling but that is currently all it is potential.
We built a Focus 'RS' from a std car and e bay parts, caned it, got a podium finish . . . . . . we sold the engine, and the bling . . . OH, we're not competitive. . Shock horror

The Clubs succession plan works, but Chelsea f***ed it all up . . . They will always be public enemy No1 for me . . . . Too much money was irresistable, (Caicedo) and you'd have been an idiot not to take it . . . But the disruption has been immense.

losing Caicedo so soon after MAcAllister has exposed all sorts, esp wth Colwill going back, and the naivety thinking we'd get him for peanuts . . . . And all the rest . . . My best hope. Is this season is a transition, a lot of yoof learning fast, but I think there will be a big rebuild happening very soon. . . .

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It’s a cross between

And

With maybe a sprinkling of

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
True. But.....so many reasons. So many, many reasons.

We must be truly terrible....flawed from crown to crack.

And all the fault of That Meryl. Meryl De Zerbi. :angry:

I just....can't....get that . . . . whatever it is. :shrug:

You know I respect your thoughts and opinions- but seriously, as a longtime Brighton fan, what’s your thoughts on why we have totally capitulated from the team that we were last season and earlier this season?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You know I respect your thoughts and opinions- but seriously, as a longtime Brighton fan, what’s your thoughts on why we have totally capitulated from the team that we were last season and earlier this season?
Alright. Since you ask, and have flattered my tiny shriveled ego, you smooth-talking lovely man.....

I'm guessing now, mind....

Peak RDZ Brighton requires a sufficiency of fit experienced players who are on it and who can bring forth the daring of the youngsters, with the results feeding the confidence and the confidence feeding the passion and the passion and confidence seeding the results.

Tug at a cut thread and the whole may start to unravel. Losing key players; losing emerging players; losing experienced players; losing; losing; drawing; losing.....

We don't have a statue of the equivalent of Bob Paisley outside the Amex. We have never been here before. All of our players have dreams of being like someone who plays or played for someone else. They don't have anyone who has been here to live up to. Or to live unto.

And the manager has to marry passion with pragmatism, and perhaps his message is getting lost, with these pioneer players, making history for a club that has never come remotely close to success, and I include two plucky cup finals against the world's most entitled and cocky club, steeped in its history, in that analysis.

I am hoping for some bounce back next season, with whatever manager the owner considers the most appropriate. And I'd like to see some real history created over the next 5 years. A trophy at very least. Then we may start to flower rather than wax and wane. But not just yet.

How's that? My wormy opinion for what it's worth (nothing). :thumbsup:

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Alright. Since you ask, and have flattered my tiny shriveled ego, you smooth-talking lovely man.....

I'm guessing now, mind....

Peak RDZ Brighton requires a sufficiency of fit experienced players who are on it and who can bring forth the daring of the youngsters, with the results feeding the confidence and the confidence feeding the passion and the passion and confidence seeding the results.

Tug at a cut thread and the whole may start to unravel. Losing key players; losing emerging players; losing experienced players; losing; losing; drawing; losing.....

We don't have a statue of the equivalent of Bob Paisley outside the Amex. We have never been here before. All of our players have dreams of being like someone who plays or played for someone else. They don't have anyone who has been here to live up to. Or to live unto.

And the manager has to marry passion with pragmatism, and perhaps his message is getting lost, with these pioneer players, making history for a club that has never come remotely close to success, and I include two plucky cup finals against the world's most entitled and cocky club, steeped in its history, in that analysis.

I am hoping for some bounce back next season, with whatever manager the owner considers the most appropriate. And I'd like to see some real history created over the next 5 years. A trophy at very least. Then we may start to flower rather than way and wane. But not just yet.

How's that? My wormy opinion for what it's worth (nothing). :thumbsup:

To be fair that’s exactly the sort of piss taking, blue and white tinted specs bet wetting response i thought this thread would be full of 🤣🤣

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think we fell victim to a darstardly plot by Newcastle in January.

The real Roberto de Zerbi is currently being held captive in the back room at a dental hygienists in Rome and the man in our dug out is….

IMG_4825.jpeg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
All of the above, except for the dentist and Ant/Dec (not sure which one that is).

The perfect storm of some poor recruiting and injuries.

Has DeZerbi lost it? Well only time will tell on that one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here