It’s roughly a 4-way split between:

Injuries/medical department issues
Poor recruitment
Poor tactical decisions
Poor individual performances

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
There wouldn’t be quite the same outpouring if we’d finished say 10th or 11th last season but a properly crap few months (had to check today, last goal I saw was Danny’s v Roma FFS) looks even worse when compared to that huge over-achievement. Injuries are at the root of it for me, then exacerbated by failing to recruit a deep/strong enough squad………and things (including confidence and motivation as he says) have naturally gone in ever-decreasing circles since with DeZ being tactically found out a bit as well as not having the tools to play ’his’ game.

FWIW I think he‘ll be here next season, we’ll make some key signings and without any European distraction we’ll have a good season. TB/PB always learn from their mistakes.
This a more erudite version of what I wrote at roughly the same time

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
It does seem to have been a rolling set of consequences rather than a single point of failure. You can go back along the trail back to the root cause - a weakened squad - but it doesn't mean that each step on the trail was inevitable.

The question now isn't really "why did it happen", but instead: "what's the best way of getting out of this place?"

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Our recruitment may have suffered from a "Brighton premium" being added to transfer fees taking those players out of our ideal range. Something that the club will need to factor in for the summer maybe?

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
all started with selling the midfield in the summer and not properly replacing it. caicedo i can kind of forgive because i don’t think we saw him leaving last summer, but to replace mac allister with milner and dahoud was atrocious recruitment and clearly done on the cheap.

This whole thing that the club didn't see Caicedo going in the Summer is an odd one, because after the public statement in January it really did feel inevitable.

And, if our replacement for Caicedo was always going to be a young prospect, why not get them in early in the Summer to involve them in pre season etc. and if - in the unlikely event that Caicedo didn't go - at least we had his replacement in house ready to learn off of him.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's unsustainable losing so many key people in such a short space of time.

2022:
Technical Director
Goalkeeping coach
Head of recruitment
Recruitment analyst
Potter & co
Bissouma, Mwepu

2023:
Club doctor
Replacement club doctor
Head of medical & performance
Performance manager
Lead performance analyst
Trossard, Caicedo & Mac Allister (Undav)

2024:
Head of recruitment

There's probably more. How many have been replaced with improved candidates? Some haven't yet been replaced. Yes, there are problems on the pitch, but there's been a huge 'brain drain' off it.
But ….this is the club mantra…” you find somewhere better, you can go ( at the right price) …..”

it is seen by fans as evidence that we are the greatest club in the world for player future happiness.

and yet here we are, probably finishing 15th below Fulham and palace

but we are really nice guys and gals.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Our recruitment may have suffered from a "Brighton premium" being added to transfer fees taking those players out of our ideal range. Something that the club will need to factor in for the summer maybe?
KDH in today’s market is worth £40m we would ask for more if he was our player.
He’s out of our reach now a real shame quality player who would have boosted our squad ten fold.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
This whole thing that the club didn't see Caicedo going in the Summer is an odd one, because after the public statement in January it really did feel inevitable.

And, if our replacement for Caicedo was always going to be a young prospect, why not get them in early in the Summer to involve them in pre season etc. and if - in the unlikely event that Caicedo didn't go - at least we had his replacement in house ready to learn off of him.
i think it was more they didn’t see anyone paying the fee they’d want. the £70M or so arsenal were offering wasn’t going to cut it. but then boehly came in like the nutcase he is and offered what he did, which was far beyond what caicedo was really worth. i do think at that point, though, rather than just buying baleba a year early and throwing him in at the deep end, there should’ve been some more experience brought in to help. which there wasn’t, so another error there.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It all went wrong when whatever happened around the time Roberto went to the dentist in Italy.
That was feb..between Sept and spurs in feb (the dentist trip) the only teams we beat were sheff utd, spurs, forest, Brentford and palace.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Target - top ten - get 6th, overachieve. Simple really :shrug:
so on that basis we must aways under-achieve as I want expect us to win everything (of course I realise thats unlikely but my mind is set on winning everything)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It does seem to have been a rolling set of consequences rather than a single point of failure. You can go back along the trail back to the root cause - a weakened squad - but it doesn't mean that each step on the trail was inevitable.

The question now isn't really "why did it happen", but instead: "what's the best way of getting out of this place?"
More like ‘what do we need to do to make sure this doesn’t happen next season’………100% confident TB and PB will already have clear plans.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is quite a thread.

What are the reasons for it, and its power to attract enthusiastic engagement, I wonder?

1. The massive inferiority complex and imposter syndrome that most fans of little old Brighton have has burst forth like a bout of acne.
2. Many of the rest, entitled and convinced we would be competing for Champions' League have been left aghast by the poor run, like most Chelsea fans have been aghast for the last two seasons at their unfulfilled entitlement.
3. And the remainder still don't understand the concept of 'it is what it is'.

And why have I posted this comment?
It's a mystery.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The state of the modern game: it’s financially corrupt and morally bankrupt.

I.e. 95% of clubs aren’t supposed “to win”

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It all went wrong when whatever happened around the time Roberto went to the dentist in Italy.
Ah shit. You've let the cat out of the baggio now:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports