• In

Votes: 200 53.2%
  • Out

Votes: 176 46.8%

• Total voters

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
In from me. We seem to have an average of 15 to 20 shots per game under GP. I can recall games under Hughton in the EPL when we had one, even none if I recall correctly, and our average was in single figures. We were scoring at the beginning of the season (including Maupay who surely hasn't become a bad striker overnight) so the goals have got to come.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sack every one. Ashworth down. Give Hope Powell the job. Sidwell DofF. Play the kids.

I know of a manager who'll stake his reputation on managing that team.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
In. We are a club going in the right direction, yes results have not been going our way, but I believe Potter is the man to take us forward, he has totally changed the way we play in little under a season and half. He can only work with the players he has.
We are creating many chances, if our forward line do not put them away this is not down to Potter.
Remember a new manager will still have the same players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In. We are a club going in the right direction, yes results have not been going our way, but I believe Potter is the man to take us forward, he has totally changed the way we play in little under a season and half. He can only work with the players he has.
We are creating many chances, if our forward line do not put them away this is not down to Potter.

:thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Noticeable how the 'IN' was 28% after quite a lot of votes early on. It's gone up to 48%.

Just shows how emotional responses take over at the end of a match.

For me it's not really the manager or set up. It's the quality on the pitch.

Calls for Eddie Howe ? He took Bournemouth down with as many decent players in the squad as we have- and a decent striker.

It's all mythical dreams.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
From being described as an ‘Inky Pamphleteer’ by John Vinicombe in 1988 at 56 I'm probably considered an old f*** by many on here, but at time of posting this 137 NSCers think Potter should stay, apologies if this offends but IMHO you are all clearly delusional.

Having seen 7 relegations, albeit briefly with the first in 1973, this has all the hallmarks of an 8th demotion as clearly the man in charge is so far out of his depth it’s almost embarrassing.

Just out of interest I wonder how many of the 137 think we will still go down by keeping Potter but it will all be to the benefit of the grand plan of the club?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
He has as many years left on his contract as he has home league wins since taking up the role.

Jesus wept.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Noticeable how the 'IN' was 28% after quite a lot of votes early on. It's gone up to 48%.

Calls for Eddie Howe ? He took Bournemouth down with as many decent players in the squad as we have- and a decent striker.

Most of which were injured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

but we cant defend either, everyone bangs on about the style or pretty way we play offensively, when we lose the ball there is no plan or organisation too often. Its too easy for the oppo. That's also true of defending set pieces.

Under Hughton and for many teams it starts with good defensive shape and organisation. We seem to have just abandoned so many of our previous defensive priniciples for an all out attack/possession system that isnt working (for results). It also means we are always vulnerable (like today) to lose easy cheap goals. And we've gifted loads of them by lack of decent defensive attributes when not in possession.

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I’ve already posted on this thread. I was “in” then. Still am but have been ruminating on this some more.

Somebody somewhere has probably made up a weighted table of the football league over its entire history. However, if they have, I haven’t seen it so the following is guesswork. We’ve been around for 120 years now. Our average finish in the entire league is probably very close to bang average: somewhere from 40th to 50th. Viewed against the arc of history, we’re punching above our weight.

Granted, we are playing in 2020, not 1929 or whatever. We are currently in the Premier League and should always aspire to be improving. However, I do view our performance through a historical filter. We’ve stared over the abyss and lived to tell the tale. That absolutely colours my judgement with regards to our current predicament.

The Football League is littered with the bones of clubs who bought big to reach the promised land but ultimately fell. We don’t have to look too far to see this, as we suffered our own spectacular fall from grace: from the top flight to Hereford in just 14 years.

We are absurdly fortunate to have an owner that unquestionably has our best interests at heart. He has spent somewhere in the order of a quarter of a billion pounds putting an infrastructure in place designed to future proof us against another calamitous plummet down the ladder. If we are relegated we could reasonably expect to recoup some of the losses through player sales and have an academy producing talent already being battle hardened in the league we would find ourselves in. We are being run prudently. We hope to develop but we have a beady eye on an uncertain future. Would I choose that over a financial bonanza overseen by an uninterested conglomerate which might take its toys away at any time? Damn straight I would.

So I’m delighted to be in the Premier League and still rather thrilled at the novelty of it all. This thread has been a blitzkrieg of blether: furious at our 65% possession and 21 shots. Of course the object is to score goals and win matches but provided I have a team that provides me with entertainment, I am prepared to accommodate its deficiencies. They are part and parcel of a club at our level.

I remember the final months of Hughton’s tenure. He’s a legend and I’d walk over hot coals for the guy or give him a kidney if he found himself short of one. However, by the end of that season we’d almost abandoned the notion of winning. We were durable and tenacious but forward thinking? No. It was heartbreaking to hear commentators describe misplaced pass after pass and embarrassing to hear my club derided for its lack of ambition. I just don’t feel that way anymore. I like watching us. It’s that simple. We have one of the most talented squads we’ve ever seen. It’s just that they are rendered ordinary by dint of being in this fiercely difficult division.

I’ll stick with Potter. Many won’t. That’s fine. Opinions about eleven guys kicking leather about shouldn’t cause so much ire.

#TeamLicker

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Is it because all the very angry jump on here straight after the game (or even during the game in some cases) to vent their fury first, whilst the more measured think then post ?

I agree anyway. It’s not entirely down to GP that our forwards can’t hit a cows arse with a banjo, but (despite what [MENTION=33581]THPP[/MENTION] says) the coaching has to be questioned. Trossard, Ali J, Webster, Dunk, Connolly, Maupay and Welbeck at least have all missed really good chances in the last week. Why are they all misfiring so badly ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve already posted on this thread. I was “in” then. Still am but have been ruminating on this some more.

Somebody somewhere has probably made up a weighted table of the football league over its entire history. However, if they have, I haven’t seen it so the following is guesswork. We’ve been around for 120 years now. Our average finish in the entire league is probably very close to bang average: somewhere from 40th to 50th. Viewed against the arc of history, we’re punching above our weight.

Granted, we are playing in 2020, not 1929 or whatever. We are currently in the Premier League and should always aspire to be improving. However, I do view our performance through a historical filter. We’ve stared over the abyss and lived to tell the tale. That absolutely colours my judgement with regards to our current predicament.

The Football League is littered with the bones of clubs who bought big to reach the promised land but ultimately fell. We don’t have to look too far to see this, as we suffered our own spectacular fall from grace: from the top flight to Hereford in just 14 years.

We are absurdly fortunate to have an owner that unquestionably has our best interests at heart. He has spent somewhere in the order of a quarter of a billion pounds putting an infrastructure in place designed to future proof us against another calamitous plummet down the ladder. If we are relegated we could reasonably expect to recoup some of the losses through player sales and have an academy producing talent already being battle hardened in the league we would find ourselves in. We are being run prudently. We hope to develop but we have a beady eye on an uncertain future. Would I choose that over a financial bonanza overseen by an uninterested conglomerate which might take its toys away at any time? Damn straight I would.

So I’m delighted to be in the Premier League and still rather thrilled at the novelty of it all. This thread has been a blitzkrieg of blether: furious at our 65% possession and 21 shots. Of course the object is to score goals and win matches but provided I have a team that provides me with entertainment, I am prepared to accommodate its deficiencies. They are part and parcel of a club at our level.

I remember the final months of Hughton’s tenure. He’s a legend and I’d walk over hot coals for the guy or give him a kidney if he found himself short of one. However, by the end of that season we’d almost abandoned the notion of winning. We were durable and tenacious but forward thinking? No. It was heartbreaking to hear commentators describe misplaced pass after pass and embarrassing to hear my club derided for its lack of ambition. I just don’t feel that way anymore. I like watching us. It’s that simple. We have one of the most talented squads we’ve ever seen. It’s just that they are rendered ordinary by dint of being in this fiercely difficult division.

I’ll stick with Potter. Many won’t. That’s fine. Opinions about eleven guys kicking leather about shouldn’t cause so much ire.

#TeamLicker

With you 100%. Great post.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My thoughts exactly.
Off the fence to out, for me.

:clap: What happened to your unwavering faith? Thought we weren’t allowed to air doubts? Now you want Potter out?! Blimey, talking about turncoat. And with all this humble pie doing the rounds, it’s a wonder anyone will have room for Turkey next week!

The Albion

Apr 15, 2019
I’ve been ‘Potter In’ all season but am now firmly in the ‘Potter Out’ camp.

We’ve just turned to pudding this season. We are so, so soft.

I was hoping Potter might build on Hughton’s all-out defensive effort which was working so well, and tweak things in attack to bring more success in front of goal. Instead, Potter has destroyed the universally lauded Duffy-Dunk combo and has fostered a team environment where players are now appearing lazy and disinterested in winning a 50/50 challenge and beating their man one for one.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Couldn’t be more IN.

I look forward to cheering the players off after a game again and chanting “Graham Potter’s Blue & White Army”.
I think he is a brilliant coach and is doing an excellent job.

We have the youngest team in the division. The punt taken on adding the experience of Welbeck and Lallana is largely working in terms of performances and better results will come.

But, we have a bottom six budget this year. I expect us to finish 15th or 16th. The ambition of being ultimately top ten is a long term goal that will be achieved by incrementally adding to the budget and developing young talent.

I understand people’s frustration with not winning but there is a bigger picture to consider.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here