Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Official' Olympic thread - sub section - Cycling

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well what the f*** is it if it's not a sport?! Deary me. :facepalm:

I can never accept riding a bike, something we all do from a very early age as a 'sport' in the same way as I don't count formula 1 or motor bike racing as a true sport but each to his own. To me the Olympics are about what was originally like running jumping lifting etc adding all these other pass times like cycling football tennis etc to me is wrong and moves away from what the Olympics were all about might just as well add darts snooker and bridge and call them sports. This is only my opinion I don't expert others to agree.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hate the rules about only 1 cyclists per country. Don't do that in other sports. Its like the IOC is trying to penalise domination and us.
That worked.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah 7 out of 10 golds coming to Team GB. They should just let us have all 10.
'cheated' out of 2 more, and the whole field had to gang up to beat Ed in the Omnium.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I can never accept riding a bike, something we all do from a very early age as a 'sport' in the same way as I don't count formula 1 or motor bike racing as a true sport but each to his own. To me the Olympics are about what was originally like running jumping lifting etc adding all these other pass times like cycling football tennis etc to me is wrong and moves away from what the Olympics were all about might just as well add darts snooker and bridge and call them sports. This is only my opinion I don't expert others to agree.

you didn't do any running or jumping at an early age then?

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester

Really shouldn't bite but: your view shows a ludicrous lack of consistency; the only thing you have stated you can't accept about cycling is that it is "something we all do from an early age", so what do you call running, jumping, lifting and throwing?? If you rule out cycling on those grounds you would have rule out the whole of athletics as well, arguably swimming too. Then you say that athletics are what the Olympics were all about so ball games like football and tennis shouldn't be in. A complete reversal from your original view about cycling. And you dismiss football as a pastime despite long posting on here as a football fan? Either ill-timed fishing or you should lay off the sherry.

(edit: post too long, beaten to the running and jumping point)

Getting on topic, what a bitter-sweet evening! Ecstatic for Laura and Chris, gutted for Queen Vicky

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Do we not all run from an early age too, or kick a ball? Cycling is sport. End of.

Riding a bike to work or similar isn't, the same as driving a car isn't, but those activities are far removed from racing, which IS sport.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

First post in a while that made me chuckle out loud! Something you obviously never learnt is think before you speak!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

We're probably safe whilst there's still horse dancing in the Olympics!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My view is that the Olympics started long before there was ever bikes football etc and as such we are getting away from the original concept of the Olympics. Yes I am a football fan but neither want not expect it to form part of the Olympics. As a football fan I could you tell you various statistics about football records but how many on here could tell you the Gold Silver and Bronze medal winners in the last Olympics, probably less than could name the winners and runners up in the last couple of World Cups.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My view is that the Olympics started long before there was ever bikes football etc and as such we are getting away from the original concept of the Olympics. Yes I am a football fan but neither want not expect it to form part of the Olympics. As a football fan I could you tell you various statistics about football records but how many on here could tell you the Gold Silver and Bronze medal winners in the last Olympics, probably less than could name the winners and runners up in the last couple of World Cups.
Hmmmm

20 disciplines, comprising 19 sports, were part of the Olympic program in Paris. Weightlifting and wrestling had been dropped since the 1896 Summer Olympics, while 13 new sports were added. Swimming and water polo were considered to be two disciplines within a single sport of aquatics in the Olympic context.
Archery
Athletics
Basque pelota
Cricket
Croquet
Cycling
Equestrian
Fencing
Football
Golf
Gymnastics
Polo
Rowing
Rugby union
Sailing
Shooting
Swimming
Tennis
Tug of war
Water polo

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The cricket was England v English ex pats.

England won.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pat McQuaid says the UCI will be trying to get 12 medals on the track for Rio 2016. There were ten this year.

I wonder what the extra 2 events will be:-

Quickest rider, carrying onions, wearing a stripped jumper & beret, while smoking a Gauloise.

&

A kangaroo/koala team sprint event.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I admit that as far as the modern Olympics go I am, incorrect I was thinking back to the original Olympics in the very early days of 776BC. (JUST GOOGLED IT) from its start in Zeus..

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject, but with the greatest respect, your argument has more holes in it than a full Emmental.

You say that riding a bike isn't a sport because it's "something we all do from a very early age", but then we also walk, run & jump from an early age - so presumably anything based on those activities aren't 'real sports' either. Then you go on to suggest that running, jumping, & lifting IS what the Olympics is all about! :mad:

I guess the throwing the Discus would make it into your reasoned list of legitimacy, although I've a feeling you'll give it the proverbial heave-ho due to it failing to hold your interest for more than 10 seconds (or something).

Actually, you'll presumably think Chariot Racing counts as a true sport then? And Boxing too - but only if both contestants wear hard leather & metal coverings on their fingers, & have the fight continue until one man either surrenders or dies (none of your bloody women in the ring, ta very glad)? Oh, and how could we forget the original 400 yard sprint in full battle armour whilst leaping over Shields...

And why stop with the 'sport'? There's the all-important ceremonial side of things to address too. Howsabout we go the whole hog & award the winners vats of Olive Oil rather than Gold Medals; & let's f*** those Anthems right off by reintroducing poets: singing odes at the presentation, in their praise for money?!

So let's slaughter those hundred Oxen people & praise be to Zeus (unless you're a bleedin' Spartan)! BensGrandad has spoken. :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sadly the Aussie's tactics were spot on there, nothing went as VP planned.
That's not really fair, since Vicky finished the first race first, she just lost out due to a very minor infringement. Anna won the 2nds race well, but had the first have gone to Vicky it would have been a different story.

If it weren't for pedantic interpretations of the rules, we'd could have got 9 of the 10 gold. Wow.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
That's not really fair, since Vicky finished the first race first, she just lost out due to a very minor infringement. Anna won the 2nds race well, but had the first have gone to Vicky it would have been a different story.

If it weren't for pedantic interpretations of the rules, we'd could have got 9 of the 10 gold. Wow.

If they hadn't restricted the one cyclist per country we would have all 10. In the men's omnium, other teams acted out of their way to make sure we didn't win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here