Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Official NSC Bird Spotting Thread.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
A few weekends back i sat down with my 6 year old to do the RSPB bird watching weekend. You have to sit and log all the birds that you've seen in your garden for an hour.

In that hour the most incredible thing happened, bearing in mind I live near Kingston SW London and not in the country side. A bird of prey (we think a buzzard) took down this wood pigeon. Whilst this bird of prey was dealing with a flapping pigeon a massive fox comes from behind and attacks this fairly large bird of prey. There was a stand off and the bird made itself big (and it was big) a few times to deter the fox. The bird stayed there for about 3 hrs eating this pigeon but unfortunately i think the foxes initial attack from behind damaged the bird as it limped off after eating the pigeon. Unfortunately i saw the bird the next day dead. Very sad. I did manage to film it a lot of it.

View attachment 157145

That fox is a regular to the garden and it is massive btw. It's like a Labrador.
Quite the spectacle! Very likely to have been a Buzzard - Just part of the circle of life, Buzzards are very common these days....

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Quite the spectacle! Very likely to have been a Buzzard - Just part of the circle of life, Buzzards are very common these days....
But not in (sub)urban gardens hunting Woodpigeons!

Buzzards, although are opportunistic feeders, tend tend eat earthworms and small rodents and prefer hunting from a perch in open areas or soaring over open terrain then dropping down onto prey. (Or walking around looking for worms)

Female Sparrowhawks on the other hand are stealth hunters and regularly take down Woodpigeons and regularly hunt in urban gardens. They are much larger than the male and brown in colour so can be confused with a Buzzard. I used to work for the RSPB and we found the Sparrowhawk was one of the most wrongly identified garden birds when talking to people about their experiences.

That said, it does look a bit like
a Common Buzzard on just this one image (size compared to fox and the apparently unbarred primaries and wingtip shape) and Buzzards do occasionally take woodpigeon ( and more rarely are seen in semi-rural gardens) but the photo is not very clear so it’s hard to be sure. It would be good to see more images or the video.

(If it was a Buzzard, perhaps it was already weakened with illness or starving even - which might explain the slightly unusual behaviour, location and not moving out of the way from the fox)

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good Friday. Brede Valley.
I may have stumbled upon a valuable bit of field craft here for future reference. It's like one of those magic eye thingies. Can you see what it is?

DSCN2571_NRW_embedded-min.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
DSCN1438.JPG

November last year. Pett Levels.

Is it a Linnet does anyone know please?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
DSCN2298_NRW_embedded-min(1).jpg

DSCN2301_NRW_embedded-min.jpg

DSCN2298_NRW_embedded-min.jpg

January this year. Pett Level. One of a pair.

Is it a Corn Bunting does anyone know please?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We have a green woodpecker at Brooklands where we walk the mutt. Mrs Q is getting into it now. Some Warblers around now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It’s a male Reed Bunting - Corn Buntings are your archetypal Little Brown Jobs with no distinct plumage pattern I love Pett Level - i Used to go down there a lot when I lived in Brighton
Thanks. I'm struglling on a lot of little bird id's. Not only the differences between male and females on some species, but also winter vs breeding plummage. Hence why I gave the month I took those shots in.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone able to help here?

I'm thinking Tree Pipit. Taken at Wark Forest, Northumberland, a few days before Newcastle away.

DSCN2961.JPG

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's a sad day at Wz Towers.

I got up this morning to see a few feathers on the lawn outside the bedroom window and figured that our regular sparrow hawk had taken another pigeon. Miss Wz (who is on a visit from Oz) was out in the garden this morning and found the remains, coming back to tell me she thought it was Mrs Wz's favourite bird, a very pale cross between either a ring necked dove or, as Mrs Wz insists, a turtle dove which she had been trying to hand tame with various seeds.

I'm sure the foxes will see off any remains tonight, but what should I tell Mrs Wz, it's like the Serengeti out there in darkest Westdene :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here