Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Official NSC Bird Spotting Thread.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I think I’m correct in saying some Red Kites were released in the Lewes area a few years ago
I’ve seen one over in Isfield near the Laughing fish Also over the Lakewood area of Uckfield
1066 travel a bit further along the A259 I’ve seen Marsh Harriers quite often not far from the army camp in Lydd and also on the marshes which the A259 travels through

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I just love these beauties. I’m like an excited child every day when they fly over!

5E355406-CE4E-4D1E-93E1-38C1BE04E651.jpeg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think I’m correct in saying some Red Kites were released in the Lewes area a few years ago
I’ve seen one over in Isfield near the Laughing fish Also over the Lakewood area of Uckfield
1066 travel a bit further along the A259 I’ve seen Marsh Harriers quite often not far from the army camp in Lydd and also on the marshes which the A259 travels through

Thanks for the tip. I will do. Often been over Lydd way on bike rides but never seen any Marsh Harriers. Although to be fair I'm not really in full bird spotting mode then.

I've been over Rye Nature Reserve more times than I care to remember though, and often really looking out for what's about, and this is the first time I've seen a Marsh Harrier. It's instantly become my favourite bird of prey. Such a stunner!

I heard on Springwatch that breeding UK pairs are now up into the 600's, from just one pair 50 years ago and near extinction here. Looks like I should get increasingly lucky then and start to see more.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The Red Kites are common as muck around the A40/M40 corridor, great to see though.
Eat dead rats and squirrels up our allotment.

After building a nest box out of old bits of wood, we finally have a family of great tits nesting there.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
IMG-20210603-WA0004.jpg
This time of year we get Toucans fly from a nearby bit of forest to a fruit tree next to our house.
This is from our kitchen window.
I love watching them glide as they fly.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The Red Kites are common as muck around the A40/M40 corridor, great to see though.
Eat dead rats and squirrels up our allotment.

Yep, there's a stretch of the M40 that I've seen loads of Red Kites circling everytime I've been up that way. Marvellous scenes!

After building a nest box out of old bits of wood, we finally have a family of great tits nesting there.

Yep, there's a stretch of the M40 that I've seen loads of Red Kites circling everytime I've been up that way. Marvellous scenes!

I've only seen a couple in Sussex. Numbers are increasing here too though by all accounts.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
View attachment 137601
This time of year we get Toucans fly from a nearby bit of forest to a fruit tree next to our house.
This is from our kitchen window.
I love watching them glide as they fly.

Wow! What a treat! What country are you in?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Thanks for the tip. I will do. Often been over Lydd way on bike rides but never seen any Marsh Harriers. Although to be fair I'm not really in full bird spotting mode then.

I've been over Rye Nature Reserve more times than I care to remember though, and often really looking out for what's about, and this is the first time I've seen a Marsh Harrier. It's instantly become my favourite bird of prey. Such a stunner!

I heard on Springwatch that breeding UK pairs are now up into the 600's, from just one pair 50 years ago and near extinction here. Looks like I should get increasingly lucky then and start to see more.

Keep an ear open for the oyster catchers as well
You will more likely hear them before seeing them
Black and white with red legs and bill

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I've only seen a couple in Sussex. Numbers are increasing here too though by all accounts.

20210612_133058.jpg

Yes I think you mean the stretch between Beaconsfield and Wycombe
On the Wycombe turn off there is a road that leads off the roundabout, and goes to Marlow Bottom.
On that road on a summers eve, there is a field where numerous amounts of RK soar, mind you need to keep your eyes on the road :lolol:

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Keep an ear open for the oyster catchers as well
You will more likely hear them before seeing them
Black and white with red legs and bill

Funnily enough, saw a couple in flight last night really close up. Beautiful markings. Used to seeing them more at a distance with that distinctive red bill. See lots of them over there.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Had a walk around Tide Mills yesterday and Mrs HS got a good photo of a Linnett and also a Greenfinch feeding her young. I'll get her to send me the photos and try and post them later

On the subject of Red Kites, daughter lives at Cheshem in Bucks and they are as common as starlings down here, They come around in flocks searching for food, you have to be very mindful when having a bbq

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Had a walk around Tide Mills yesterday and Mrs HS got a good photo of a Linnett and also a Greenfinch feeding her young. I'll get her to send me the photos and try and post them later

On the subject of Red Kites, daughter lives at Cheshem in Bucks and they are as common as starlings down here, They come around in flocks searching for food, you have to be very mindful when having a bbq

There's a certain point at NT Cliveden, where you can see the RK gliding over the countryside, its a great sight, especially as your at a similar height as them. [MENTION=663]portlock seagull[/MENTION] can voucher this.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I haven’t seen a Greenfinch for years, used to see them in the garden about 10 years back.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Seems to be loads of Jays around here (Cheshire) at the moment, and a couple of weeks ago I heard my first Cuckoo for about 12 years.
Haven't seen a Kingfisher yet this year, that I recall.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Excited about getting Bullfinches on the Forget me not seeds today, also get them on the honeysuckle berries later in the year. luvverly.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I haven’t seen a Greenfinch for years, used to see them in the garden about 10 years back.

Haven't seen one for quite a few years, and was wondering where they had gone - then yesterday in Hawkshead....

DSC09411 - resized.jpg

The other common bird that seems to have decreased is the Chaffinch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here