Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official not really bothered about the Rugby World Cup Thread

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
The ref is always blowing his whistle , Penalty !! who to ? you never actually ,SEE , whats happened , the penalty is awarded , he scores or misses, then they play for another 5-10 minutes , and the same happens again, Sometimes one or both of the teams score a try , sometimes they dont !

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The lack of diving and cheating is rather refreshing, as is the fact that many of the player can string together a few words when interviewed.

They're constantly diving! Dragging other players down with them too. *******s.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Never liked rugby, but will probably jump on the band-chariot if England start to do well. Might also take a quick peek at the match tomorrow from The Amex.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I would like to enjoy what is a very popular sport, played by right thinking individuals with a sense of fairness and belief in the team ethic. All good so far.

Then you get a rule book that is FAR too complicated, a game where kicking the ball out of play can gain a tactical advantage, and the luck of the gods (bounce) can turn a match on its' head. Oh, and some commentator just mentioned the tournament going on for six weeks, 6 weeks FFS! How can they afford that? Olympics is four weeks, OUR World Cup is four weeks, yet I have to put up with this minority sport being rammed down my throat for a month and a half, Jesus Christ!!!!

Apart from that, nah, not bothered.......:lol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The ref is always blowing his whistle , Penalty !! who to ? you never actually ,SEE

I realise that I don't belong on this thread as I love rugby - more than football in fact - but I have to point out this is bollocks. Rugby refs are far clearer on such things than football refs are. It's easy to see who gets the penalty as he'll indicate with his arm and you can see what it's for as there are various gestures for the offence (not releasing the ball, offside, foul play etc). And if you get the headsets, you can hear what the ref is saying too

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The lack of diving and cheating is rather refreshing, as is the fact that many of the player can string together a few words when interviewed.
The stamping on peoples heads if they get in the way, head tackles, brawls, between the 2 sides and the fact that a lot of players look like they have had a long career as a boxer doesn't endear me to the sport.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
That's not very nice is it? At least I tried to give a bit of context.

Then again, I think I'd be perfectly within my rights to come on a thread about NOT caring about the Rugby WC and saying, yes I think it's shit.

probably a bit harsh, normally I don't give a shit about that bird sliding down the ice on a tea tray,but I was over the moon for her when she won gold

I like to see England or Great Britain win at anything personally

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It looks great on the telly, this rugby malarky. The egg looks frighteningly big, though..... will they be able to lift it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The stamping on peoples heads if they get in the way, head tackles, brawls, between the 2 sides and the fact that a lot of players look like they have had a long career as a boxer doesn't endear me to the sport.

Isn't that what the Bo'sun used to be like in the 70s?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
The ref is always blowing his whistle , Penalty !! who to ? you never actually ,SEE , whats happened , the penalty is awarded , he scores or misses, then they play for another 5-10 minutes , and the same happens again, Sometimes one or both of the teams score a try , sometimes they dont !

Yeh, that aspect of the game bores me witless....yes ref, no ref, three bags bloody full ref!

It's all about sticking to the rules and off to the 'Sin Bin' because Nanny says you mustn't be naughty.It's all very public school, isn't it, right down to cuppng each other's ballsacs in the scrums...

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I live in a Rugby household, so I'm getting caught up the fever of it. I'm actually looking forward to tonight.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I really want to 'get into' but I can't hide from my true feelings which is, I just don't really care like I do football. I blame my school, we were obsessed with football and rugby hardly figured....but what a sport to get obsessed about eh?!! :)

I blame my school in an entirely different way, in that I was forced to play rugby at a Grammar (High) School when I would much rather have played football. I really can't be bothered with it at all, and don't like the people who play it, either, for the most part. It's organised hooliganism and thuggery ..... for nasty "wough" boys.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

1. Deliberate Stamping is a foul, mind you if you don't roll away you deserve to get trodden on
2. High Tackles are also a Foul
3. Brawls are also Fouls

Next complaint?

Sorry you don't like the look of the players - are they not PRETTY enough for you? :kiss:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Most people who don't like rugby haven't got a scooby about the rules in my experience. Hard to enjoy something you don't understand :wink:

Top class international rugby pisses all over International football .....imo

That can be said about a lot of sports, including Baseball, NFL & NHL. "Don't understand it so it must be shit".

I quite like rugby, both codes, but have never seen a game live. I will be at The Amex tomorrow with a group of Albion fans and I'm really looking forward to it. It is part of a World Cup being held in Brighton. What's not to like? The Amex being viewed around the world-The Albion have done a great job raising the profile of Brighton and Hove by getting 2 games for The Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here