The OFFICIAL NFL 2012 Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Er, I think its obvious which team Bladders follows if you look at his avatar!? ???

He may have them switched off, Watto. I certainly do. As a Bills fan, may I stick a tentative hand in the air for their victory on Sunday as the weirdest win of the season so far? A game levelled by a franchise-record equalling 61-yard FG, then a much closer one to beat them strikes the post, sending the game to OT. Then an unsuccessful first drive forces them to punt, and when they look like they're going to lose the game, a pick gives them the ball back and a field goal of their own takes them to 3 and 3, like everybody else in the AFC East. An up and down night for a Bills fan, that was.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Er, I think its obvious which team Bladders follows if you look at his avatar!? ???

As for the Browns, its never felt quite right to me since they came back - Ive not had the same affinity with this franchise as I did with the original, which is probably why I just enjoy watching the game now rather than being a "die hard" fan of one team. I like the Browns, but also have a soft spot for the Bucs & Packers (adopted them as soon as Modell moved out) But one thing is for sure - I will be booing the Squeelers, along with Bladders, at Wembley.....Hate that franchise!!
I've got avatars and signatures turned off so I'm mercifully spared whatever passes for wit and wisdom.

I'm glad you still hate the Steelers. I'm only a Browns fan because one of my colleagues and best mates had been to America in 1979 and had met Terry Bradshaw in a hotel. Of course he didn't have a clue who he was, but when he was told he decided to become a Steelers fan. When Channel 4 started showing American football, just so we could have a bit of banter on a Monday morning, I said "Who are the Steelers main rivals? I'll support them." Why the f*** did he have to say "Probably Cleveland" thus condemning me to a life of misery!

Having been to Seattle I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Seahawks, but the Browns are my team.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Fair enough - I didnt realise you could turn them off to be honest! :facepalm:
I only picked the Browns from a photo of Kevin Mack blasting through the line in Gridiron magazine...thought he looked quite cool! Of all the teams I couldve chosen though :rolleyes: At least we had a few good years with Kosar, Slaughter, Byner, Matthews, Minnifield & Dixon etc.
My wife is a Vikes fan but also hates the Steelers / Ben Roethlisberger - It could be a big "home" crowd at that game with Bengals, Ravens....& most NFL fans! joining the "Big Ben Boo Club"!!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's interesting to read the tenuous reasons for picking a team. I picked the Redskins as I mistook them for the first team I ever saw on tv which was the Washington Huskies play in a Rose Bowl on World of Sport! When C4 took on the NFL I thought the Washington Redskins were the same team, doh! And whilst in the early and late 80's they were very good it's mostly been 30 years of underachieving mediocrity for me, which has been livened up greatly by RGIII this season.

The big irony re the Huskies is that I am also a Ducks fan (my aunt lives in oregon so I picked them) whose big enemy is the aforementioned Huskies.

Really enjoying this season so far, it is all up for grabs as far as I can see.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
... condemning me to a life of misery!

I believe this also applies to Bills fans. Scott Norwood in particular - that was exquisite agony.

I picked 'em back in the early/mid-eighties because they were a two-wins-per-season outfit in those days, and I instinctively thought 'that's the team for me'. Then, in 1986, Jim Kelly came along and life began to get 'interesting' to say the least.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I believe this also applies to Bills fans. Scott Norwood in particular - that was exquisite agony.

I picked 'em back in the early/mid-eighties because they were a two-wins-per-season outfit in those days, and I instinctively thought 'that's the team for me'. Then, in 1986, Jim Kelly came along and life began to get 'interesting' to say the least.

Jim Kelly was one of my early favourites, he was a great QB. Also a heads up for the Browons on here, there was a fascinating documentary on NFL network A Football Life The 1996 Browns which is well worth a look. It focuses on the Bellichek Browns and the sad demise of an original franchise, it really is a good watch.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
How many 'franchises' are there?

Obviously that statement doesn't hold up across the board, when talking about the likes of Green Bay, Chicago, 49ers, Miami.

They all are. If any wern't making money or the local authorities wouldn't foot a huge portion of a stadium rebuilding cost these "franchises" would be out of there to a ne city like a shot. The 49 ers toyed with the idea of moving to the new proposed LA stadium a few years back when they were having trouble over a new stadium build, and there have been whispers the Dolphins have looked at the prospexpct of moving due to poor crowds recently.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Yes, and isn't it refreshing to see that usual rule broken? And by 'previous players' you're not surely saying the Ravens can claim the championships won by the Browns in the 40s and 50s? Yes it's a pity we couldn't have hung onto the team that was being built in 1996 but there you go, they all got transferred to the Ravens (even in American football players change teams).

I haven't read this thread, but you're not a Ravens fan by any chance are you? That will explain your jaundiced, and widely-unaccepted, view.

Technically yes the Ravens could just ike the Titans with the Oilers history, the Colts, Rams and the Cardinals. I'm not sure why the expansion Browns think they are a special case and can keep another franchises history.

Is it refreshing? Yes it probably is but I'd buy into it more if that were the rules for every team that's up sticks and left town.

Ravens fan? You must be joking.

Paul Watson

Aug 23, 2009
Does anyone know where I can watch all the programmes of NFL America's game on the internet? I'm relatively new to NFL and I'd like to learn more about the past SB winners and teams of the past. Thanks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does anyone know where I can watch all the programmes of NFL America's game on the internet? I'm relatively new to NFL and I'd like to learn more about the past SB winners and teams of the past. Thanks
The NFL webpage is great.

I watch NFL live through wiziwig.eu (I think) google 'NFL live stream' Sunday late afternoon and you'll find it.
From there you'll have live links to all games or Redzone if you prefer.

Paul Watson

Aug 23, 2009
Thanks guys. Just to say I mean actual episodes like this one: Americas Game - 1996 Packers - YouTube. They used to have them all on youtube but they got taken off a while ago. I've only got a laptop so don't have sky and was wondering if anyone knew which other sites might show it. I've heard hulu do but I can't access it as you need to be in America to watch it. Thanks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not answering the question, but The Shame Report can be amusing:-

[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/the-shame-report/0ap1000000081381/The-Shame-Report-Week-6[/video]

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I believe if you have Gamepass you can also access NFL Network and the entire back catalogue of Americas Game.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I've got avatars and signatures turned off so I'm mercifully spared whatever passes for wit and wisdom.

I'm glad you still hate the Steelers. I'm only a Browns fan because one of my colleagues and best mates had been to America in 1979 and had met Terry Bradshaw in a hotel. Of course he didn't have a clue who he was, but when he was told he decided to become a Steelers fan. When Channel 4 started showing American football, just so we could have a bit of banter on a Monday morning, I said "Who are the Steelers main rivals? I'll support them." Why the f*** did he have to say "Probably Cleveland" thus condemning me to a life of misery!

Having been to Seattle I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Seahawks, but the Browns are my team.

If that's not a reason to hate the Steelers then nothing is!

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
So... are my Seahawks the real deal or not? I suspect we will find out tomorrow night in San Fran - a win there and maybe we can dream of the playoffs again.

Our defense are just animals, and Russell Wilson may be small, but he is getting better all the time - thats Romo, Newton, Rodgers and Brady he has outduelled this season already as a rookie... very impressive.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
i definitely think the seahawks are the real deal this year. brandon browner and earl thomas are immense. they kept the packers and cowboys to one td, the pats got two but also two int. they have a big, bulky secondary that stops most teams being able to air the ball out against them and when you only give up something like 70 rushing yards on average you are always going to be tough to beat. i do think they are a bit one dimensional, the receivers there aren't anything special. golden tate is too nervous, sidney rice best days are behind him and with beastmode do you really need to throw the ball when he is so tough to bring down and can get you up the field in the way he does. i don't buy all this 'wilson is small' stuff, i have been very impressed with him this year.

the nfc west is looking like a decent division this year. the cardinals won't be in the mix come the end of the year but the 49ers and seahawks will definitely.

also, just how piss poor is the afc this year? shocking standard of football on that side of the league. houston and maybe baltimore apart (though they are so banged up now i am not sure we can really count them) none of the other teams look like anything special.

fairly content with the bears start to the season. a few dodgy games for cutler and then he does something brilliant. very jekyll and hyde, but linking up with marshall well. am off to the us tonight, going to notre dame against byu on saturday and then bears and lions on monday night. sound be a good game on monday night.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Texans are back on track now with a 6-1 record after their thumping of an injury-afflicated Ravens side.

With no less than 9 AFC teams on 3 wins after Week 7, possibly 11-5 will be enough for Home Field Advantage in that Conference.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had a very crappy stream of the Packers last night, to the point it wasn't worth watching.
Esp after it was apparent AR had that look in his eyes.
They just weren't going to lose.
But it was like a home game, the noise was pro Green Bay and the stadium was virtually green,
I thought other than Jacksonville NFL seats were like hens teeth.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It amused me listening to the Americans in the office this morning talking about the games at the weekend. They were moaning about the cost, the catering, the officials, the players, the other fans …………..in fact just like listening to everyone on NSC!!

Sports fans are pretty much the same the world over. One guy is a Jets fan and he was furious about the Sanchez fumble which cost them the game in OT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports