Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official "Matthew Upson to Albion" thread [merged]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Upon big "yes" from me. Not many decent left footed centre half's about. Would take Upson over Squillaci every time

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Matthew Upson is one of the candidates to solve Albion's centre-half crisis before the transfer window closes tonight.

The former England defender has been short of first team action at Premier League Stoke City.

Coach Charlie Oatway confirmed to The Argus this morning: "We've got a list of names left, right and centre and his name has come up.

"He is one of many. In a situation like this it's last minute.com. You are trying to bring somebody in. You gather all the information you have got and see which one you think would do a job at this particular time and fit into the group.

"He is a name that has been thrown into the equation."

Oatway also revealed Lewis Dunk, currently involved in a court case, could feature in the squad at Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

Oatway took over at short notice from manager Gus Poyet, who was due to attend his regular Thursday morning press conference at The Amex.

Oatway said: "The gaffer's doing some business."

Does that mean Gus is on the loo

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

First laugh of the day for me, which proves how childish I am.

But on the subject of the thread I would take Upson for sure. Perfect short term answer to our centre back problem.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

First laugh of the day for me, which proves how childish I am.

But on the subject of the thread I would take Upson for sure. Perfect short term answer to our centre back problem.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Matthew Upson is one of the candidates to solve Albion's centre-half crisis before the transfer window closes tonight.

The former England defender has been short of first team action at Premier League Stoke City.

Coach Charlie Oatway confirmed to The Argus this morning: "We've got a list of names left, right and centre and his name has come up.

"He is one of many. In a situation like this it's last minute.com. You are trying to bring somebody in. You gather all the information you have got and see which one you think would do a job at this particular time and fit into the group.

"He is a name that has been thrown into the equation."

Oatway also revealed Lewis Dunk, currently involved in a court case, could feature in the squad at Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

Oatway took over at short notice from manager Gus Poyet, who was due to attend his regular Thursday morning press conference at The Amex.

Oatway said: "The gaffer's doing some business."

It means that Gus was either putting together the final bid for Van Dijk or discussing terms with Roman Abramovich.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Is Upson fit at the moment? He's dropped off the radar a bit.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Is Upson fit at the moment? He's dropped off the radar a bit.

From wiki:

Upson made his first League appearance of 2012–13 season on 29 December 2012 against Southampton due to Shawcross serving a one match suspension. Upson scored Stoke's second goal in a 3–3 draw.[

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
From wiki:

Upson made his first League appearance of 2012–13 season on 29 December 2012 against Southampton due to Shawcross serving a one match suspension. Upson scored Stoke's second goal in a 3–3 draw.[
Sounds promising.

:)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Matthew Upson

Can't believe people are turning their nose up at a player like Upson he'd be a perfect short term solution before going in for VvD again in the summer.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I wouldn't turn up my nose at the Upsy. Short-term deal for a man who knows what he is doing without much work on the training field would do us alright. We're a team about position and reading of play and not one about lightning-paced centre-halves amending their errors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here