Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Official Match Thread: England v Colombia

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Winning that shoot is the biggest leap forward for the England team in decades.
I think a fair number of people have forgotten we knocked Spain out of Euro 96 on penalties.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we'd played the second half like we played the last bit of extra time we wouldn't have had a problem.
It doesn't work like that though. In the last bit of extra time we weren't defending a lead, and Colombia weren't trying to equalise. And it was only a wonder-strike from them that got them the corner, they were lucky to draw the game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Columbia had won I wonder if everyone would have flushed their gear down bog ??? Remembering when Volkswagens got it after we lost to the Germans on pens.
People didn't vandalise their own VWs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well said.
Its a good job the players feel a lot more strongly about wearing an England shirt than these ' club first merchants '. Watch the reaction of messrs Wright, Dixon and Neville last night and that tells you all you need to know about passion for their country. Its become fashionable to say glibly...." Oh, I'm not interested in England "..." Its rubbish "...." I won't even be watching " Well wait and see how far we progress and surprise, surprise, a lot of these types will be saying...." Oh, the tv was on in the house but I wasn't really watching it "
Riiiiiight. Except none of that makes sense if you read what I posted.

Well I've just about recovered.

I couldn't even celebrate when we won, my nerves were shot to pieces.

It's club before country for me, but these massive waits between having a chance in the WC really do make the pressure mount.
I've watched every game of the WC (except when 2 were on at a time), and obviously watched all of England's games, and of course I support them. I just generally care more about Brighton, as the FA and their choice of managers has left me disappointed when following England in the past.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It doesn't work like that though. In the last bit of extra time we weren't defending a lead, and Colombia weren't trying to equalise. And it was only a wonder-strike from them that got them the corner, they were lucky to draw the game.

It did work like that, though. Our tactics in the second half were wrong; we let Colombia build the pressure.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It did work like that, though. Our tactics in the second half were wrong; we let Colombia build the pressure.
Colombia are a decent team and were going to push for an equaliser. And how many chances did they create? On another day we'd have seen it out 1-0.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Except that on the day on question we didn't, did we..................
So? You can't just look at a result and then decide whether we were playing well or not.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
England barely made a chance all evening. Maybe we should play for penalties against Sweden.

16 shots (ok only 2 on target) and 7 corners isn't barely making a chance. Having to put up with a poor referee, niggly fouls, and cheating made it an awkward game.
Sweden do play decent football.

Stumpy Tim

That's a little harsh. Both Dier (from a corner) and Dele Alli (in open play after the Maguire dive in the box) had VERY presentable headed chances.

Let's not forget Kane's header in the first half and Rose's chance in Extra time. Trippier's free-kick too. Colombia just fouled our players when we got in the final third - Harry Kane was fouled 14 times I believe - so of course we had a lot of set-pieces & less open play chances

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I dont think that was a dive designed to fool anybody just a genuine fall, which he acknowledged, and was IMHO, unfortunate to receive a yellow card.

What are you on about?

It was a clear dive (he went down EXPECTING contact, that never came), and he WASN'T booked in the game.

Apart from that...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What are you on about?

It was a clear dive (he went down EXPECTING contact, that never came), and he WASN'T booked in the game.

Apart from that...

He was booked for what the ref deemed simulation (a dive) my point is I do not think that he dived to con anybody he just fell to avoid the tackle and readily acknowledged that to the ref, but then you are one of the men who knows everything. My view is that just an opinions unlike you trying state that it is fact.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Aside from actually WINNING a penalty shoot out, the thing I looked the most was that Colombia (who despite some people's comments on here are a very strong side) realised that we were better than them so employed every anti football tactic in the book. That says a lot.

How they didn't get a red card or three is beyond me, the referee totally lost control of the game. But we didn't rise to it, we carried on trying to play football and despite it ending up being gut wrenchingly close, we won. And we thoroughly deserved to win.

Colombia got exactly what their disgraceful performance deserved too. Absolutely **** all and the next flight home.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He was booked for what the ref deemed simulation (a dive) my point is I do not think that he dived to con anybody he just fell to avoid the tackle and readily acknowledged that to the ref, but then you are one of the men who knows everything. My view is that just an opinions unlike you trying state that it is fact.

1. He was NOT booked in last night's game. Not for that incident. Not for any incident.
2. 'Falling to avoid the tackle'? So diving then? The fact that he realized he might be in trouble, and quickly put his hand up, doesn't alter the fact he chose to go down, under no contact at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here