Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The official match day thread - The Autumn Budget

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Because you're desperate to be back on here :wink:
I am on here? How can I be desperate to be on something I'm already on? You aren't really adding much to the debate on here are you, for example The Clamp provided a really eloquent reply to me, it's a shame you seem incapable of the same, instead we got a childish youtube clip.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
with respect you are kind of leaning towards lazy stereotyping of benefit claimants, most people receiving benfits / tax credits are in full time work. In any case, I am all for it since giving money to the ordinary folk will all go back into the economy which is much better than the Trussenomics of tax breaks for the wealthy who pug it away rather than spend it
That’s fair. I’m in a strange mood today.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
All fair points and well made. Yes I agree 'spunking' was a poor choice of words, I agree that also some people will indeed waste the money on 'fags and booze' but I guess many will see it as a financial lifeline in difficult times and spend the money appropriately.
I am happy to state that I recently bought a few bottles of reasonably cheap plonk, which may (or may not) have been paid for by the various rebates I have received against my gas and electricity bills.

Bottoms upwards 🍾🍾🍾🍾

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
I am happy to state that I recently bought a few bottles of reasonably cheap plonk, which may (or may not) have been paid for by the various rebates I have received against my gas and electricity bills.

Bottoms upwards 🍾🍾🍾🍾
Same here!!! A nice bottle of wine certainly helps to alleviate stress.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Conversely bail out of Bulb... £6.5bn...

the customers where bailed out. or we could have the normal company insolvancy process, customers would have lost all credit and cut off while finding new energy supplier. that would have been cheaper for the rest of us though. not sure why GMB want to take up this issue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
C222D841-05E8-4D55-95A4-710A1D0393C6.jpeg

Face of a madman. Or perhaps simply the try-hard, rictus expression of a reptilian profiteer who can’t relate to normal people.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You think the shadow chancellor should have made up a speech, on the fly, addressing each of the points that had been confidential and only publicly announced minutes earlier. This 'statement' being the result of some significant number of weeks of very intensive work by thousands of people, throughout the treasury and OBR most of which would be civil servants very highly skilled in their areas of expertise :facepalm:

As ever, a perfectly balanced observation :lolol:

Civil servants, you say? Are you suggesting that they don't share all their calculations with The Opposition well in advance of the government announcements? Isn't that a bit unfair? How can anyone expect the opposition to instantly come up with a detailed alternative that rebuts every one of the government's announcements, point by point, with no prep time?

Or maybe people to expect labour to hire thousands of independent equivalents of civil servants, and buy access to all the data available to the government, so they can keep an 'alternative' budget that will second guess every one of the government's announcements, constantly simmering on the pot?

I have seen some cockamamie attempts to pillory labour over the years, but presenting a budget rebuttal that lacks the granularity of the new budget itself is absurd. Pointing out that the tories have done 180 degree turn on their original autumn plan, and that instead of heading for sunny uplands we are on a highway to hell is good enough for me.

We will see what labour are made of when they take over in a couple of years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I also read somewhere that with the tax allowances remaining frozen for a number of years, there is a risk that the state pension could eventually rise above the tax allowance, meaning we would have to pay tax on the state pension.
Pay tax only on the element above the tax free allowance. Pensioners would be better off, all be it only seeing 80% of the amount above, but it’s more than they are getting at the minute if this happened

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
From the Mail:

Freezing the first three thresholds means that as your pay increases over the coming years, you will move into a higher tax band.

Economists calculate that if you receive a £60,000 salary, over the next five years you could lose £14,990 in extra tax.

Isn’t that just making at assumption that tax brackets would increase every year which is never a guarantee or a calculation people ever predict?

Anything I earn over 50k is taxed at 40% and if I get a 5% rise I’ll pay more tax. I never think about the 50k bracket moving to 51k.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From the Mail:

Freezing the first three thresholds means that as your pay increases over the coming years, you will move into a higher tax band.

Economists calculate that if you receive a £60,000 salary, over the next five years you could lose £14,990 in extra tax.

Isn’t that just making at assumption that tax brackets would increase every year which is never a guarantee or a calculation people ever predict?

Anything I earn over 50k is taxed at 40% and if I get a 5% rise I’ll pay more tax. I never think about the 50k bracket moving to 51k.
A good point and yes.

The Telegraph, Mail and Times ONLY banging on about that. Presumptuous and an emphasis today by them on the hypothetical and real tax ‘woes to be suffered’ by those earning over £50k up to £150k a year.

They should be more concerned with those on low incomes, wondering whether they can eat or heat the home.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Meanwhile, hidden in the small print the bank surcharge has been cut from 8% to 3%.
This on top of the cap on bankers bonuses being scrapped.

Torys gonna Tory.
This was because they currently pay 19% in CT plus the 8% = 27%.

The same day the surcharge reduces to 3%, their CT rate increases to 25% = a 28%.

The tax rate on banks in financial competitors is:
US 21%
France 25.83%
Germany 30%
Ireland 12.5%
Switzerland 14.93%
Netherlands 25.8%

The banks are international companies, they can move HQ’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: abc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here