Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

****** The Official January Transfer Window Thread *******

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we get 6 points from the next 2 home games this squad will be promotion contenders
I reckon it will take 18 points from the next 6 games, home or away, to even have a Fool's chance of promotion.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I agree with all of this, but it's key that we don't panic. I'd also rather we added quality rather than quantity. It also depends on availability. Chris Wood would be a good addition to the squad; otherwise we should perhaps get a striker on loan. Hughton has also mentioned midfield experience. That all depends on how far Stephens is away from game time.
If we can secure safety, and all our young players continue to play most of the time, that'll be fine for me this season. It was interesting that he started with all bar Walton on Saturday: Dunk, Ince, JFC and March.

In the days when Murray & Barnes were scoring goals for fun, I thought Wood looked ponderous & pedestrian; how times have changed!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
As for transfer business, a striker is a must.

And a centre midfielder unless Stephens return is imminent........

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
I think some people are getting a little carried away by suggesting we don`t need any strengthening.
Sure the results have improved since Hyppia left but we are still at the moment in a relegation battle.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
eerrr yes it is, we have absolutely no chance of making the play offs

We have 21 matches to play - 63 points to play for. We are 15 points from the play-off places. I agree it is very unlikely, but it is not impossible.

If the second half of our season were to be as good as the first half were bad, who knows? Similar things have been done before. Why not us this year, particularly if we were to manage to do some good business before the end of the transfer window.... which again may be unlikely, but......

One can but dream, but sometimes dreams can come true. As Bill Shankly once said. "If you aim for the stars, you might hit the ceiling. If you aim for the ceiling, you are likely to stay on the floor." (or something like that.)

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
We have 21 matches to play - 63 points to play for. We are 15 points from the play-off places. I agree it is very unlikely, but it is not impossible.
If the second half of our season were to be as good as the first half were bad, who knows? Similar things have been done before. Why not us this year, particularly if we were to manage to do some good business before the end of the transfer window.... which again may be unlikely, but......
One can but dream, but sometimes dreams can come true. As Bill Shankly once said. "If you aim for the stars, you might hit the ceiling. If you aim for the ceiling, you are likely to stay on the floor." (or something like that.)

Unfortunately so have all the team's above us......Reality check required by anyone who thinks this

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I think we need a centre forward, on the proviso that COG is heading back up north. Additionally, I think another winger is probably required (certainly to cover Kaz's immediate absence). Other than that, I think we're pretty much sorted. Now that CH has started to play Holla and Ince together in CM, we're looking a lot more stable and solid there, and with Stephens to hopefully come back in at some point, we should be ok.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think we need a centre forward, on the proviso that COG is heading back up north. Additionally, I think another winger is probably required (certainly to cover Kaz's immediate absence). Other than that, I think we're pretty much sorted. Now that CH has started to play Holla and Ince together in CM, we're looking a lot more stable and solid there, and with Stephens to hopefully come back in at some point, we should be ok.

Still looks too thin to me. We need to replace Gardner with a better midfielder than him and bring back Benno or bring in similar. Also either play COG or get in a proper number 9 to replace him.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Still looks too thin to me. We need to replace Gardner with a better midfielder than him and bring back Benno or bring in similar. Also either play COG or get in a proper number 9 to replace him.

I'd actually forgotten about Gardner going back. We probably do need to replace him, just to ensure adequate numbers and options. So then, to summarise:

1 x Central Midfielder
1 x Striker (on the proviso that COG is going)
1 x Winger/Attacking Midfielder (to cover for Kaz and replace Benno)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Unfortunately so have all the team's above us......Reality check required by anyone who thinks this

Reality Check for anyone who thinks what? I think I made it perfectly clear in my post that I am not expecting this to happen. The words "unlikely" and "not impossible" tend to give it away.
My main aim for this season would still be - as it is every season - to avoid relegation, looking forward to the day when the drop is not mathematically possible any more.
Achieving mid-table respectability would be a bonus.
Anything more than that - seventh heaven. I'm off to the bookies to put a bet on us finishing higher than Bournemouth - a bet I am not expecting to win, but.......

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I expect CMS to go in Jan also.... so maybe 2 strikers will be required.

There will be plenty of Championship interest in him for the money he will be available at.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I expect CMS to go in Jan also.... so maybe 2 strikers will be required.

There will be plenty of Championship interest in him for the money he will be available at.

I agree. It's almost worth letting him go on a free to release the wages ( 8K - 17K per week, depending on who you believe ) for another striker.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Somehow I expected this thread to be a lot busier and longer by now - is it only me who's disappointed with the apparent inactivity? or am I overreacting?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
BBC: "Duo exit Swindon

Football

Posted at 14:26

Swindon Town have cancelled the contract of midfielder Ryan Harley, while Curtis Da Costa has also left the club".

not suprised, utter dogshit lightweight pansy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here