Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official (And Quite Lonely For Those Who Contribute) England v Malta Thread...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think you'll find that in fashionable circles that is now known as hoofball, a variation of kick and rush.

Those with greater intelligence, more discernment, and shedloads more of sophistication, much prefer to see the ball passed around from player to player, preferably for as long as possible, without some oaf hoofing it hopefully towards the goal!

Having done my Level One coaching badge fairly recently I can tell you this wasn't the opinion of our FA Coach. In fact we were reminded that a quick, long ball or long range shot can sometimes get you a much needed goal. The trick is in getting players to realise the right time to do it.

I don't think Southgate is capable of that trick mind, though the manager of Rustington under 9s had it sussed by the end of our training weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having done my Level One coaching badge fairly recently I can tell you this wasn't the opinion of our FA Coach.
Don't tell me Charles Hughes is still around at the FA!

Only banter of course. Like many others, I'd like to have seen somebody put their foot through the ball a bit more often.

Jan 30, 2008
Everything that's wrong with English football. 80,000 making less noise than we do at the Amex, dominated by the effing band. Team full of pace playing behind nine people most of the time. Lingard - good player with us - never a full international. Rooney playing in actual Malta. The FA counting the readies and ITV kissing everyone's peachy backsides. Very likely the last time I bother and I say that as someone who spent the last five minutes willingly doing the washing up.
got to agree with you on that one , soul less place full of crash test dummies, Malta's fans showed more pasion :facepalm:
regards
DR

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Meanwhile, at Hampden Park, there's a shock result in prospect, as plucky minnows Scotland grab a 90th minute equaliser against footballing superpower, Lithuania.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Looks familiar

image.png

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The biggest problem with England football on a Saturday evening, is Men will tend to nod off and loose control of the remote.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
People who got to watch England have to be most tragic, delusional people I can honestly
think of.

B****x to all this "support your national team at all costs".

The whole setup is a complete joke.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The performance was really no surprise. Its been apparent to many of us, over a number of years, that English football has been changing and not for the better. As more and more creative overseas players have entered our football, so the role of a lot of our home-grown players has altered. From being mainstream, major players they have gradually become functional parts of the whole. Through no fault of their own, they have watched the creativity and responsibility pass to others.
The final third of the pitch is where the real class and creativity most comes into play. The ability to go past one or more people and make space, the well-timed, cutting pass, the accurate cross, hard driven or skillfully flighted. The instant close control required under pressure.
Yesterday evening there was none of that and sadly it was no surprise. Responsibility is being bred out of our players, as they play alongside more and more talented, creative types. We now have a generation of players who are all comfortable in the back and central thirds of the pitch, where less creativity and responsibility is required. They are all comfortable rolling the ball 15-20 yards, sideways and backwards to each other but when it comes to the final third, the business end, they are found wanting. Unable to beat people at close quarters, they resort to the quick stabbed ball forward, usually played at the wrong pace, which invariably cannot be controlled and breaks down. These players cannot play the killer ball, the ball that changes games.
Games where sides put ten men behind the ball exaggerate our problems the most. Our players do have pace and therefore look better on the counter against more ambitious teams. It is the lack of skill at close quarters and the inability to take responsiblity, that lets us down the most.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
The performance was really no surprise. Its been apparent to many of us, over a number of years, that English football has been changing and not for the better. As more and more creative overseas players have entered our football, so the role of a lot of our home-grown players has altered. From being mainstream, major players they have gradually become functional parts of the whole. Through no fault of their own, they have watched the creativity and responsibility pass to others.
The final third of the pitch is where the real class and creativity most comes into play. The ability to go past one or more people and make space, the well-timed, cutting pass, the accurate cross, hard driven or skillfully flighted. The instant close control required under pressure.
Yesterday evening there was none of that and sadly it was no surprise. Responsibility is being bred out of our players, as they play alongside more and more talented, creative types. We now have a generation of players who are all comfortable in the back and central thirds of the pitch, where less creativity and responsibility is required. They are all comfortable rolling the ball 15-20 yards, sideways and backwards to each other but when it comes to the final third, the business end, they are found wanting. Unable to beat people at close quarters, they resort to the quick stabbed ball forward, usually played at the wrong pace, which invariably cannot be controlled and breaks down. These players cannot play the killer ball, the ball that changes games.
Games where sides put ten men behind the ball exaggerate our problems the most. Our players do have pace and therefore look better on the counter against more ambitious teams. It is the lack of skill at close quarters and the inability to take responsiblity, that lets us down the most.

Absolutely this. And we have these f****** joke football schools for kids run by utter morons who think this is the
way that football should be played.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here